Carnival

Scottish Labour Party make manifesto pledge to make the purchase of sex illegal

18 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Let's hope this is the final nail in the coffin of Scottish Labour, a party for which I once had some respect.

Does anyone know whether any of the other parties in next month's Scottish election mention sex work in their manifestos?

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/14449129.Scottish_Labour_to_back_decriminalisation_of_selling_sex_in_manifesto_pledge/

Edited by Carnival
Added link to newspaper article

There is no chance of Labour getting power, but they certainly won't get my vote.

I do agree with one part of their manifesto - sex workers should be decriminalised, but that is not to say that criminalisation should shift from sex workers to buyers. The argument that this 'reduces demand' is not supported by evidence and I do not see that criminal law has any place in consensual relationships. The existing laws should be strongly enforced in cases where trafficking or other forms coercion are involved and until that is done there is no case for further criminalisation.

20 hours ago, Dave451 said:

There is no chance of Labour getting power, but they certainly won't get my vote.

I do agree with one part of their manifesto - sex workers should be decriminalised........

In the news report Rhoda Grant is quoted as saying "We will decriminalise women in prostitution". Can somebody tell me what aspect of prostitution which is currently a crime the Scottish Labour Party is proposing to decriminalise.

Posted (edited)

18 hours ago, Sylver said:

My vote will go with Labour also. I already have been in contact with my local MP via email and hope to get the opportunity to have a face to face at the earliest date on this subject. Good that people are actually willing to get up and go out the front door and try and do something. Far to many people just moan and do nothing out in the real world.

Labour are also not a homogenous block on this issue, MacDonnell and Corbyn have both spoken out on this topic. They've even highlighted the fact that many of the benefit changes affect women, and they'd prefer to tackle this from a totally different angle. I've also liaised with a Labour MEP on this issue who declares herself a 'feminist', and with whom I'm on very friendly terms. Let's just say she has very open to hearing what it's like for those who chose to support themselves by selling sexual services, and was shocked to learn about the laws which prevent women working together. Feedback from her is also that criminalisation of clients is certainly not the party line, there is a range of views.

Given that Labour are contacting women members asking for feedback, wanting to improve their appeal, I feel there are lots of opportunities for this topic to be raised from our side.

Edited by Strawberry
2 people like this

12 hours ago, Strawberry said:

Labour are also not a homogenous block on this issue, MacDonnell and Corbyn have both spoken out on this topic. They've even highlighted the fact that many of the benefit changes affect women, and they'd prefer to tackle this from a totally different angle. I've also liaised with a Labour MEP on this issue who declares herself a 'feminist', and with whom I'm on very friendly terms. Let's just say she has very open to hearing what it's like for those who chose to support themselves by selling sexual services, and was shocked to learn about the laws which prevent women working together. Feedback from her is also that criminalisation of clients is certainly not the party line, there is a range of views.

Given that Labour are contacting women members asking for feedback, wanting to improve their appeal, I feel there are lots of opportunities for this topic to be raised from our side.

Indeed McDonnell and Corbyn have been very clear that they support genuine decriminalisation and I would not expect any British Labour Party manifesto to include a pledge to introduce the Nordic model in England. But their view clearly doesn't command any respect in their party north of the border, where there is a clear manifesto pledge to introduce the Nordic model in Scotland if they are elected as the ruling party.

Posted (edited)

11 minutes ago, Carnival said:

Indeed McDonnell and Corbyn have been very clear that they support genuine decriminalisation and I would not expect any British Labour Party manifesto to include a pledge to introduce the Nordic model in England. But their view clearly doesn't command any respect in their party north of the border, where there is a clear manifesto pledge to introduce the Nordic model in Scotland if they are elected as the ruling party.

I don't share your optimism. While it is great that the current leaders are pro sex worker, there are a number of influential Labour party members - Harman, Flint, Shuker and I think also Yvette Cooper who want to make it illegal to purchase sex. They will point to what has happened in France as a sign that they have momentum on their side.

This is going to be a fierce battle we face in the coming years. 

Edited by Whitehall Insider

5 hours ago, Whitehall Insider said:

I don't share your optimism. While it is great that the current leaders are pro sex worker, there are a number of influential Labour party members - Harman, Flint, Shuker and I think also Yvette Cooper who want to make it illegal to purchase sex. They will point to what has happened in France as a sign that they have momentum on their side.

This is going to be a fierce battle we face in the coming years. 

I didn't say I'm optimistic, there are only chinks, glimmers and opportunity. It's not a total deadline yet. 

The manifesto is at : http://www.scottishlabour.org.uk

and the proposal to bring in the Nordic model is on page 55 - it's very light on detail. What does decriminalising involvement in prostitution mean? ( to be picky even buyers are involved in prostitution so do they get criminalised or decriminalised? )

1 hour ago, bongo said:

The manifesto is at : http://www.scottishlabour.org.uk

and the proposal to bring in the Nordic model is on page 55 - it's very light on detail. What does decriminalising involvement in prostitution mean? ( to be picky even buyers are involved in prostitution so do they get criminalised or decriminalised? )

They clearly state they wish to criminalise the purchase of sex. I guess that makes their position quite clear.

For comparison that well known junior party in Coalition until May 2015 has this in their Scotland manifesto:

Decriminalise sex work in line with best international
practice to reduce harm and the risks to those
involved, and consult sex workers on the
development of future legislation;

The party endorsed nationally by cheeky celebrity sex purchaser Russell Brand has this for Scotland:

Sex work - we will advocate for the decriminalisation of sex work so sex workers can enjoy legal protection from exploitation trafficking and violence and access to better support and healthcare

In Scotland the party with the majority at Westminster doesn't mention sex work, and neither does the Purple Party or the nationalists - a symptom of a 'don't talk about adult sex in public' mentality perhaps.

9 hours ago, Bob the Builder said:

Careful Carnival - this clearly has little or nothing to do directly with the title of this thread so, for consistency, the mods should delete your post as they appear to have done to Cov's posts about the Labour party, Whitehall Insider's bleats about Cov's posts being off topic and the comments made by me and others about free speech in response to those bleats. 

Is this a case of political bias and / or censorship being alive and well on Punternet? Or will the mods reinstate the relevant posts (perhaps as a new topic elsewhere) because, as I recall, you yourself suggested that Cov's points might make an interesting topic for discussion. 

For clarity, a post was reported as offensive and removed. Subsequent posts were removed if they referred to that post or took the discussion further off-topic. Political knockabout is best kept for the off-topic forum which is much more lightly moderated. 

1 person likes this

The title of this forum is 'Legalities and Legislation'. This thread concerns the Scottish Labour Party's intentions about the purchase of sex. It would be good if we could keep within that topic from this point on.

2 people like this

On ‎28‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 6:38 AM, Strawberry said:

I didn't say I'm optimistic, there are only chinks, glimmers and opportunity. It's not a total deadline yet. 

You are right to keep pushing our agenda because currently all parties throughout Europe have fallen under the spell of the Nordic model.

'fraid is like rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic, discussing Labour policy on punting.  The recent scandal will have put them back badly. Someone has been keeping this anti jew stuff on their hard drive to cause the fuss just before the election.  Says a lot about Labours vetting process.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

The election results are out and as Labour are in third place in Scotland they will not even be the main opposition party. If the rest of their policies were as badly thought out as this one (wanting to introduce 'Nordic Model' in Scotland), despite all the evidence against it, they fully deserve to be banished to the widerness until they can show their policies are solidly based. 

Edited by Dave451
typo
2 people like this

1 hour ago, Dave451 said:

The election results are out and as Labour are in third place in Scotland they will not even be the main opposition party. If the rest of their policies were as badly thought out as this one (wanting to introduce 'Nordic Model' in Scotland), despite all the evidence against it, they fully deserve to be banished to the widerness until they can show their policies are solidly based. 

I have no doubt whatsoever that, in Scotland at least, they'll be in the wilderness for many, many years to come. Hopefully, the English will have a similar degree of common sense and keep them in the wilderness south of the border for an equally long time.