Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lessingham

Fanny Hill!

11 posts in this topic

In my dotage I have decided to read the great erotic novels of yesteryear. What is funny about them is how quaint they all seem now.

Fanny Hill casts a long shadow and I recall a grubby and well leafed copy being passed around the school playground in the early 70's. So far it is an enjoyable read. 

What is funny is how many of the whoring stereotypes are in this 18th century romp; the tart with the heart, the trafficking of young women, the bounders and the "fluffies" who try to save her.

Madam Bovery, whilst not an erotic novel at all is the towering masterpiece of the banned books to date.

What an interesting project - reading the great erotic novels of yesteryear - I have a copy of Fanny Hill so I might just join you.

What others are your list I wonder?  Going through the different centuries would be fun.

I am rather partial to Anais Nin - I guess she's yesteryear enough and definitely ahead of her time.....

A PN reading club would be fun - I'd definitely be up for that - I find my own naughty exploits dovetail rather nicely with a decent work of fiction - indeed sometimes fact proving stranger than fiction.

I read Venus in Furs. A weird book that defined masichism. Then l*lita. It is actually not a pro pedo work, you end up hating them. "100 strokes of the brush before bedtime" sloppy and cute.

Not sure about De Sade. Someone said his books are endless lists of sex acts rather than novels.

Re De Sade, 100 Days of Sodom is vile, I couldn't read it because it was so horrible and I have some kinky tastes!

The Erotic Print Society EPS can be worth a look, though it is a while since I did so :o

If you like pictures as well as text ;) they have published some very good books in the past imo, in particular I'd commend books by Lynn Paula Russell.

My next foray will be the Perfumed Garden. It seems to have faded into obscurity unlike the Karma Sutra. It was translated by sir Richard Burton I believe and ties into my adoration of Victorian bohemianism. If any wg out there could work out how to do a punt in Leighton House I would die a happy man

Is it true that the novel "Fanny Hill" the reason we now call a womans private parts - Fanny?

Other way round, I'd have thought. Fanny Hill - Mons Veneris.

Astrid Cane, the Pearl and Secret Talents are my favourites. 

On 1/5/2016 at 9:49 PM, Colonel Bonkers said:

Other way round, I'd have thought. Fanny Hill - Mons Veneris.

Not according to the OED, though, which gives the first use in 1879 (in one of exerter's favourite wank-books, oddly enough). Obviously it would have been knocking around in spoken English for some time before a surviving printed reference, but more than 140 years after Fanny Hill was published seems a bit too long.

The Pearl!!! Have not seen or heard of that one in years