Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Whitehall Insider

Romanian sex workers fighting deportation on the basis of self employment rights

7 posts in this topic

This story might interest some here. Also some possible wider implications for the current debate about sex worker rights in general.

I hope they win, both for their sake and because it would illustrate that sex workers are capable of making their own informed decisions about the line of work they want to be in. 

The ECP are backing them which is good. 

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/may/01/romanian-sex-workers-challenge-uk-immigration-policy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Whitehall Insider said:

This story might interest some here. Also some possible wider implications for the current debate about sex worker rights in general.

I hope they win, both for their sake and because it would illustrate that sex workers are capable of making their own informed decisions about the line of work they want to be in. 

The ECP are backing them which is good. 

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/may/01/romanian-sex-workers-challenge-uk-immigration-policy

Surely there is a very simple answer to this question. If they are here legally and are complying with relevant immigration and other legislation they should be allowed to stay, otherwise they should be deported. Where's the problem? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bob the Builder said:

Surely there is a very simple answer to this question. If they are here legally and are complying with relevant immigration and other legislation they should be allowed to stay, otherwise they should be deported. Where's the problem? 

I agree, there should not be a problem. But as of right now they are up for deportation with a month's notice, so they are going to have to fight it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Whitehall Insider said:

I agree, there should not be a problem. But as of right now they are up for deportation with a month's notice, so they are going to have to fight it. 

If they are up for deportation then, by definition, the authorities think there is a problem.

But in any event, as my experiences with Romanian girls have been universally poor (something which is not uncommon among punters in my area) I won't lose any sleep if they are deported.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are some really bad people out there who are trafficking and exploiting women.

http://news.met.police.uk/news/five-jailed-for-sexual-exploitation-conspiracy-158681

The efforts of the Met, and other police forces, to catch these scum are to be welcomed. I suspect they are going after the WGs, as softer target, to disrupt the gangs' activities, because going after the ring leaders will always be much harder as they can throw up spurious defences, which they did this case.

By its nature, this forum is pro-prostitution, but we should not forget there is a dark side to this industry and, maybe in some cases, the police know what they are doing.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is unlikely that the ECP would be backing these girls if they thought they had genuinely being exploited/trafficked. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Whitehall Insider said:

It is unlikely that the ECP would be backing these girls if they thought they had genuinely being exploited/trafficked. 

 

I'll rephrase that slightly, as on reflection the ECP would in fact back the actual sex workers regardless of whether or not they were trafficked. One of their key aims after all is to protect sex workers everywhere.

Rather what I meant to say was that the ECP would not back them in this case if they thought that by doing so they would be allowing the pimps/traffickers to continue to exploit sex workers via legal loopholes. 

Hope that makes my position a bit clearer!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0