3 posts in this topic

Not content with the abject failures that were Pentameter and Pentameter 2, the police are now resorting to using the pretext of trafficking to harass, threaten and eventually deport EU sex workers in the UK: http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/may/01/romanian-sex-workers-challenge-uk-immigration-policy

They supposedly have to "demonstrate that someone poses some risk to society in order to justify a deportation", but that seems pretty tenuous as what "risk to society" can a Romanian prostitute pose, with no evidence of any illegal acts? Both the Aire Centre and the ECP are fighting this apparently, but even regardless of rights issues just imagine the waste of police time and money involved. I know that the next time I hear the police complain about lack of funding this will have dampened my sympathy for them considerably.

Posted (edited)

They say they cant prove they work. Thats incorrect, they can show their tax returns or they can give the police the number of their accountant who will have their information stored. They should be registered with HMRC and if they were then they wouldnt have to "PROVE" they are keeping the rules of their entry into the uk because one swift call to the tax  man and it would be proven that they are registered as either self employed or sole traders. What they want is to stay here and not pay tax which I think is the whole point of the deportations. If they can prove they are working then they wont be deported.

As you can see, the woman who proved she was studying was allowed to remain.They seem to be going about it in a very brusque and perhaps offensive way though because by law they DO have to give a reciept, which has to be signed by the person the goods are being removed from, before they are allowed to remove any property or money from the property involved and put it into evidence. Of course you can refuse to sign but they still have to fill out the receipts and leave your copy at the premises. If you refuse to sign and say the money isnt  yours though then you cannot claim it back if no further charges are pressed. If you do sign then you get everything back again as you have said "yes its mine" officially

Edited by Chloe Kisses

Posted (edited)

If it was about tax they would prosecute for that, not deport. Nexus is (according to the met) supposed to be about "preventing violence and making our streets safer", specifically stopping "dangerous and harmful individuals", not tax evasion. According to the UKBA it is supposed to be targeting those who have entered the UK illegally and/or have committed illegal acts here (in your example, they would have no proof of illegal acts).

Just FYI Nexus is abhorrent regardless of potentially vulnerable women being targeted. Here's an amusing anecdote about just how fucked up it is: https://www.freemovement.org.uk/operation-nexus-for-dummies-happening-now-in-our-time/ For example, if any of these women tried to appeal their deportation they'd have to stop working regardless, would have no access to legal aid and could still end up being deported even if they were found not guilty by a court.

Edited by XTC2