Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
onceinawhile

Put off for life!!

11 posts in this topic

Ok, just visited a private clinic to have a test, no symptoms just figured I ought to go. Always as safe as poss and punt infrequently.

Jeez!! The doc there was telling me scare story after scare story about how infections can show after five years, cause untold damage and basically I should be checked for everything under the sun! I went in in a fairly confident mood but came out believing I was in real trouble!

Does anyone feel like private docs sometime use scare tactics to up sell more costly testing? 

Probably -  If you visit a doctor in the US and there's nothing wrong with you they will try and find something just to up the claim on your insurance policy.  Long live the NHS.

Doctors, for all of their years of training, are so often uneducated on things (BMI is an excellent example of a completely useless and outdated device that doctors still refer to religiously) that it's ridiculous. Sexual stigma is so powerful, that it can turn even relatively intelligent doctors into....well...into the gentleman you met. I'm happy to tell you that he was trying to put the fear of God into you or something, but it wasn't remotely accurate.

The reality is that the majority of things you can catch are curable, and the ones that aren't are either not that bad, or not that easy to catch. And frankly, if your worry is the WGs themselves, you're worrying in the wrong direction. Most service providers are considerably more educated on sexual health than your average serial monogomist woman, and many take their sexual health VERY seriously. The chances of you catching something from one of these women is probably far less than getting something from the one night stand you met at the pub two months ago. 

Don't let the moral of this be that you don't need testing. Get tested. Understand that some things can take weeks or months to show up, so get tested regularly. If you're in London, you can take advantage of Dean Street Express and be in and out in 30 minutes with results texted to you in 6 hours. It doesn't have to be a huge faff, and then you know you're sitting pretty! 

http://markmanson.net/std-guide

Mark Manson wrote this pretty useful guide with a lot more info and research than I've provided here. It doesn't just tell you the reality of each illness, but also the likely outcome and realistically how likely you are to catch it, with or without barrier usage. If you're worried, give this guide a read.

You did the right thing in getting checked out, but don't go see this doctor again if you can help it; he isn't doing you or anyone any favors! Sex has it's risks, but so does driving a car or walking down the street at night. Know your stuff, be smart, and you'll be fine. :) 

2 people like this

19 hours ago, onceinawhile said:

Ok, just visited a private clinic to have a test, no symptoms just figured I ought to go. Always as safe as poss and punt infrequently.

Jeez!! The doc there was telling me scare story after scare story about how infections can show after five years, cause untold damage and basically I should be checked for everything under the sun! I went in in a fairly confident mood but came out believing I was in real trouble!

Does anyone feel like private docs sometime use scare tactics to up sell more costly testing? 

This is what happened to me recently with a dentist.  I paid a huge amount to an endodontist only to tell me he cannot do anything as I have to go to a dentist first.  Their site states they use a unique method which I was keen on having yet in person they said something else: they are all milking us of money thinking that everyone can make thousands of pounds the way they make in one day.

What's wrong with going to a good old fashioned nhs gum clinic? They aren't out to make money by trying to upsell other procedures or telling you a load of old tommy rot.He is talking out of his arse. I'd actually consider complaining about him.

17 hours ago, SweetSummers said:

Doctors, for all of their years of training, are so often uneducated on things (BMI is an excellent example of a completely useless and outdated device that doctors still refer to religiously) that it's ridiculous. Sexual stigma is so powerful, that it can turn even relatively intelligent doctors into....well...into the gentleman you met. I'm happy to tell you that he was trying to put the fear of God into you or something, but it wasn't remotely accurate.

The reality is that the majority of things you can catch are curable, and the ones that aren't are either not that bad, or not that easy to catch. And frankly, if your worry is the WGs themselves, you're worrying in the wrong direction. Most service providers are considerably more educated on sexual health than your average serial monogomist woman, and many take their sexual health VERY seriously. The chances of you catching something from one of these women is probably far less than getting something from the one night stand you met at the pub two months ago. 

Don't let the moral of this be that you don't need testing. Get tested. Understand that some things can take weeks or months to show up, so get tested regularly. If you're in London, you can take advantage of Dean Street Express and be in and out in 30 minutes with results texted to you in 6 hours. It doesn't have to be a huge faff, and then you know you're sitting pretty! 

Mark Manson wrote this pretty useful guide with a lot more info and research than I've provided here. It doesn't just tell you the reality of each illness, but also the likely outcome and realistically how likely you are to catch it, with or without barrier usage. If you're worried, give this guide a read.

You did the right thing in getting checked out, but don't go see this doctor again if you can help it; he isn't doing you or anyone any favors! Sex has it's risks, but so does driving a car or walking down the street at night. Know your stuff, be smart, and you'll be fine. :) 

17 hours ago, SweetSummers said:

Thanks for long considered reply, you do always seem to talk a lot of sense and never fail to make me feel better!

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Bibi said:

What's wrong with going to a good old fashioned nhs gum clinic? They aren't out to make money by trying to upsell other procedures or telling you a load of old tommy rot.He is talking out of his arse. I'd actually consider complaining about him.

I did go to the nhs first and had a complete set of tests done, but honestly will struggle to wait the two weeks so thought I'd have a quick test done privately. Told I'd have the results in 24 hours...24 hours has come and gone though!!!!  Well a fool and his money and all that! Lol

5 hours ago, Annabellexoxo said:

This is what happened to me recently with a dentist.  I paid a huge amount to an endodontist only to tell me he cannot do anything as I have to go to a dentist first.  Their site states they use a unique method which I was keen on having yet in person they said something else: they are all milking us of money thinking that everyone can make thousands of pounds the way they make in one day.

From what you say you might have a claim for malpractice. I suggest you see your lawyer asap

For anyone within reach of central London, Dean Street Express (34 Dean St) is superb. Time slot booked online Tuesday 7.30 pm, tested Wed. at 2 pm, results sent by text at 6 pm. Cost to me: nil.

1 person likes this

On 11/05/2016 at 1:55 PM, onceinawhile said:

I did go to the nhs first and had a complete set of tests done, but honestly will struggle to wait the two weeks so thought I'd have a quick test done privately. Told I'd have the results in 24 hours...24 hours has come and gone though!!!!  Well a fool and his money and all that! Lol

In the case of sexual  health isnt it better to wait for true results from samples in petri dishes than quick rushed through results based on proteins in your urine? NHS all the way for me, Id rather wait the week or two to be sure than get a "probably doesnt have" AND pay for it

I'm out in the sticks but the local town GUM clinic is fabulous.  I can make a regular appointment and they text me the date and time.

Results are via an automated system which you call.  It's open 24x7 so when you forget and then remember at 4am you can still find out :D