MySecretLife

Blood Donation Survey for Sex Workers

9 posts in this topic

The government are meeting up soon to discuss regulations on blood donation. As the law currently stands sex workers both past and present are legally unable to give blood for life and those who visit them, legally are to abstain from visiting sex workers for 12 months before doing so.

SWISH have asked me to share this survey with as many sex workers as possible as they will be at this meeting to represent us with the view that the laws are unfair and need changing.This survey is completely anonomous but will really help gain new information to put their point across. Many thanks in advance to any one who chooses to complete it.

Blood donation survey click this link to take you to the survey  https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/PFX5M2D

1 person likes this

I'm not sure if that is right as someone I know donates blood and he gets asked if he sleeps with sex workers and obviously he ticks yes and donates blood. I know I can't as I've had a blood transfusion x

I'm not 100% sure on that either, just what I've been told. X

Posted (edited)

However, I've always found SWISH to be a credible source of information and it maybe that the medical professionals that are taking his blood are already circumventing the law because it's silly. God knows we need blood to help people live and the donation rate is still extemely low. I'd be more than happy to give blood, especially as it clearly helped people like you to get better, and I'm sure the world is better place because it did. X

Edited by MySecretLife
Clarity

Yh without blood donors, I would be dead so I am forever thankful, just gutted I can't return the favour to someone else x

Posted (edited)

Really glad to see this survey! The law on this grinds my gears so much. 

I'm a universal donor (O-) and it's a blood type in great demand, I feel endlessly frustrated that I can't donate.

Especially when research shows that sex workers have lower rates of STIs than the general population, use condoms more consistently than the general population and go for more regular and more thorough STI check ups.  

But most of all it's the knowledge that I would be allowed to donate if I had engaged in exactly the same behaviours I currently engage in, provided I'd done so without receiving payment. I'd love to know the mechanism that makes sex riskier because you've been paid!

Edited by Curious Rose
4 people like this

This is fantastic! I have taken the survey. X

1 person likes this

I have just completed it also. I had no idea there was a ban on giving blood and find it absolutely ridiculous. If I am HIV,HEP FREE AND STD FREE why the hell not?

Let's hope this silly rule is changed. Didn't know clients of sex workers were also banned! When you think of the amount of unprotected one night stands that happen all over the country every night of the week with civilians having sex, I actually find the rule offensive! 

xx

2 people like this

They really just need to give the blood donation people some sexual health training and they could enquire about specific behaviours rather than what group people belong to and the assumed dangers that come with that.