Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mirror

Will this really be a small issue in the next election?

14 posts in this topic

The standard figure that gets quoted - I don't have the original source - seems to be 10% of men have paid for sex at some time in their lives (not including the obvious wining and dining, mortgage payments, etc etc., which obviously have something to do with paying for sex).

Taking into account the fact that it's impossible to avoid a biased sample when trying to measure that number, it must surely be higher than that. Even if most of those men are one-off punters (which I'm not convinced of), that's a big number, because it's a big issue in the minds of those men, and I can't see many of them voting Labour. A percentage-point swing lost is a big deal, and the swing resulting from men who punt could easily be larger than that.

How often does the government ban part of the sex lives of 10% of the population? I think both the government and forum members here have underestimated how important this issue could be in an election.

One reason it might not be a big swing is that a lot of men who punt might not realise what the law really says and buy the trafficking / pimping propaganda, because of the startling laziness and inaccuracy of the media's reporting. I hope we're not that stupid, but maybe we are.

The phrase Turkeys voting for Christmas comes to mind. :eek:

How often does the government ban part of the sex lives of 10% of the population?

I should have thought twice about saying that. Not 10% of the population, but the last banning was so recent it's not even law until January:

http://www.backlash-uk.org.uk/index.html

A percentage-point swing lost is a big deal, and the swing resulting from men who punt could easily be larger than that.

Labour have certainly lost my vote over this.

One reason it might not be a big swing is that a lot of men who punt might not realise what the law really says and buy the trafficking / pimping propaganda, because of the startling laziness and inaccuracy of the media's reporting.

A better widespread understanding of the truths and realities is necessary. It will be only be achieved if inaccurate media articles get challenged and voices of opposition to proposed legislation sucessfully expose the propaganda.

There was a recent poll by the ICM and there is a link on the main board to it, which found 18% admitted paying for sex, and another 6% thought they might.

The poll was reported in the Guardian.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2008/oct/26/sex-uncovered-poll-home-away

Eighteen per cent of all British men have visited prostitutes. This represents a three per cent increase in the number of men who have visited a prostitute since 2002. Less than one per cent of women have used prostitutes. Usage of prostitutes is highest among men aged 35-54 (26 per cent), and 14 per cent of married men have also visited a prostitute.

In addition to the nine per cent who have previously used prostitutes, six per cent of those who have not done so would consider paying for sex in the future. Again, it is men who are most likely to contemplate paying for sex in the future but it is interesting that two per cent of women would at least consider the possibility.

In total, 27 per cent of British men have either visited a prostitute or would consider doing so in the future.

One point worth making is that given all this publicity over WGs and the usual sexy insert picture in the newspaper adjacent to the article/s (show a nic pair of legs usually suggestively crossed) it did make me think

IF the new laws falls down and doesnt materialise and that gets similar publicity I am sure that Punting will have lots of new recruits who saw the pixs and thought wow that looks good, didnt know they were almost in every village/borough.

Just a thought

Usage of prostitutes is highest among men aged 35-54 (26 per cent), and 14 per cent of married men have also visited a prostitute.

That section of the population is relatively likely to vote (not as much as the oldies, but much more than the younguns):

http://www.idea.int/vt/by_age.cfm

That section of the population is relatively likely to vote (not as much as the oldies, but much more than the younguns):

http://www.idea.int/vt/by_age.cfm

That's right, and what punter is going to vote for a Labour Party that is committed to bringing this in? I've always tended to vote Labour as a matter of fact, but I will vote tactically for whoever looks most likely to oust Labour in my constituency. 2 or 3 million votes cast that way would make an awful lot of difference........

it will depend on when the next election is. if gordy goes in the spring then the measure will be lost and the new parliament will have to start over again, so will probably be lost.

but then the question will be how much the modified by the parliamentary process. and by case law.

if the eleation is not till 2010 it will be already law. will the tories repeal it?

I hope issues like the financial crisis will keep Labour fully occupied for the moment and distract them from this agenda.

Fairly certain that they will be ousted at the next General election anyway!

I hope issues like the financial crisis will keep Labour fully occupied for the moment and distract them from this agenda.

Fairly certain that they will be ousted at the next General election anyway!

Unless Gordon Brown has gotten all the Conservatives arrested by then and due to a national crisis has to discard elections for now!!! :eek:

That's right, and what punter is going to vote for a Labour Party that is committed to bringing this in? I've always tended to vote Labour as a matter of fact, but I will vote tactically for whoever looks most likely to oust Labour in my constituency. 2 or 3 million votes cast that way would make an awful lot of difference........

I have never voted Labour in my life, and would not do so were Hell to freeze over. I am therefore unable to contribute to a swing away from Labour on this, or any other issue, since I have never swung to them. Since less than 40% of the electorate voted for Labour, a probable majority of punters are in the same position.

I think that this is a 'niche' issue which, on its own, will have little influence on the way people vote. However when added to other legislation, which has intruded upon, and restricted, other personal freedoms, it may have some small influence. But surely it will be the electorate's response to ten years of grossly incompetent economic management, resulting in the average family being materially worse of than it was in 1997, which will see the demise of this government.

There was a recent poll by the ICM and there is a link on the main board to it, which found 18% admitted paying for sex, and another 6% thought they might......

But these figures are published as if we're all on some downward slippery slope to Hell.

It's true that the number of men admitting to using a prostitute has increased between now and, say, 1990 when it was about 5%, but back in 1949 a similar survey revealed that a whopping one in four men confessed to paying for sex!