Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rob69

Christmas & New Year in Bangkok

9 posts in this topic

HI

Just thought I would let you know about my Christmas and new year holiday in Bangkok.

As you may have read before I managed to get a short holiday there over the festive period. not been there for a while

A little background from me , I first visited Thailand in 1990 and have been there I guess about 60 plus times over the last 30 years sometimes on business sometimes holiday even renting an apartment in Grand President for a 2 year period and I have met many friends over there who I still kept in touch with, I speak a little Thai but understand more than I can talk.

I arrived on the 23 rd December and took taxi from the airport rank to my hotel , meter not turned on for the ride and 500 baht charge to my hotel about £10 , Omni service apartment on Sukhumvit soi 4 or soi Nana as it is known. Could not be bothered to argue about the meter being off.

After a shower I go for a walk take in Nana plaza and meet a few old friends, how this place has changed , so quiet and very few farangs ( foreigners) I have a few drinks and manage to find a few old friends from my previous trips and have a good chat with them they all say about how bad things are and how little money is about.

General feeling about Nana is that more and more Katoy (lady boy) bars have sprung up , in the old days there was only Casanova on first floor in the corner next to dc 10. and the girls have become much more aggressive asking for drinks , quality not very good, only bar I could recommend is Spankys on first floor, nice girls with some good shows.but the place in general has become very run down.

Next night I take a taxi to soi Cowboy and again amazed how this has changed , neon lighting everywhere more like Vegas than Thailand, head to the end of the soi to a little small bar called Pams bar only to find out it has been bought out by Baccara and is no longer there so I wander up and down the soi enjoying a few beers but again most of the bars are very quiet , lots of people walking up and down the street but very few in the bars I not mind all better choice for me. Tilac seems to be the popular place for the farangs now whereas Baccara remains the main place for the Japanese.

Nice touch with the bars in Cowboy many more now have outside seating areas for people and girl watching in the soi this is not just for smokers as most of the bars still allow smoking inside ( cigarettes I mean )

Thailand was also a little racist before on my previous visits but now some of the girls I talked to told me how they hated the Indians, Africans and Arabs , this was pure venom which I found very distasteful and also to my surprise was that most of the girls were now unshaven I guess to cater more for the Japanese market.

The walk back to Nana along Sukhumvit road is not to be recommended anymore it can be quiet dangerous in places with a chance of being mugged or pickpocket by large gangs of Katoys I am big built but still felt very threatened at times so a £1 taxi ride is advised.

On the whole the place has changed it has lost the " Fun Factor " and has become much more money orientated I know this was always the case but now it is more aggressive with it. I will no longer recommend Bangkok as a holiday destination I know newbie visitors will disagree but I feel very disappointed about the place.

Total cost about £2800 for 9 nights including a couple of days at Hua Hin a bell ring on Christmas night and a few girls . I will plan another country to visit on my next vacation in April.

On another note I not know if there are any old timers who remember Spiders Webb bar Nana Plaza first floor on the right side, the English gentleman from the legal profession who owned the bar passed away on Christmas day I will not mention his name but if you ever used the bar he was always sitting on the left as you entered the bar.

Happy new year to one and all

Rob

Rob ----------- good report, however you should insist that the cab drivers use the meter, that is why meters were installed -------- and I am a big tipper in Bangkok. :);)

Ok nice one Rob, but you say you been going there 30 years, my maths aint to good, but 1990 Is 20 years mate lol, and for such an experienced Thai hand how can you get Robbed (no pun) fo 500B for the taxi?

I have also herd reports that NEP Isn't what It used to be, with more mongers liking Cowboy, but there Is so much more to Bkk than just these two places. And If you want to find ladies with a better attitude go to Pattaya.

£2800 would of lasted me one month! :)

Rob ----------- good report, however you should insist that the cab drivers use the meter, that is why meters were installed -------- and I am a big tipper in Bangkok. :);)

that a scam they are doing now from the airport they cover the meter up and say no have meter

but tell them to take you back to the airport and they will soon turn it on

but 500 baht is way to expensive

Ok nice one Rob, but you say you been going there 30 years, my maths aint to good, but 1990 Is 20 years mate lol, and for such an experienced Thai hand how can you get Robbed (no pun) fo 500B for the taxi?

I have also herd reports that NEP Isn't what It used to be, with more mongers liking Cowboy, but there Is so much more to Bkk than just these two places. And If you want to find ladies with a better attitude go to Pattaya.

£2800 would of lasted me one month! :)

Yes correct , been going there for 20 years , must have been jet lagged when I wrote report.

Last time I went I had taxi from Don Muang and I paid expressway tolls , 500 was fully inclusive of tolls so yes I was robbed and could have saved myself about 200 baht , thats about £4 but I just wanted to get to my hotel.

£2800 included all my flights and also hotels , if you try to get flight over Christmas period unless you book early in the year you can pay up to £1500 just for flights

Rob

Allways have done in the past but just wanted to get to appartment and get out on the razzle.

Same Cowboy to Nana they allways want 100 baht but only 35 on meter.

You were right about Omni tower , good location , gf and all in all not bad

Rob

Allways have done in the past but just wanted to get to appartment and get out on the razzle.

Same Cowboy to Nana they allways want 100 baht but only 35 on meter.

You were right about Omni tower , good location , gf and all in all not bad

Rob

When they say 100 baht I say meter ------ most times they agree, sometimes they pull off, no problem because there are hundreds of empty cabs, it is the principal not the money. :);)

When they say 100 baht I say meter ------ most times they agree, sometimes they pull off, no problem because there are hundreds of empty cabs, it is the principal not the money. :);)

Yes same with me , if they do not put meter on I just get out of the cab , it just took me a little bit of a suprise from oficial taxi rank at airport

Yes same with me , if they do not put meter on I just get out of the cab , it just took me a little bit of a suprise from oficial taxi rank at airport

It would be normal for them to quote a fixed price to Pattaya, Bangkok taxis are under no obligation to take you -------- London cabs can only refuse journeys over 12 miles.:)