For me two come to mind immediately:

Kids

Hubby

Lefty

18 hours ago, Moonraker said:

For me two come to mind immediately:

Kids

Hubby

I may have led a sheltered life, but I don't think I've ever heard anyone use "hubby" (I know it exists, of course, like many other unpleasant things).

I only object to "kids" when it's used as a kind of excuse or attenuating circumstance for people whose age makes it very difficult to place them in that category.

18 hours ago, Gaz up North said:

Lefty

Gaz, I don't want to interpret your thought for you, but I think you're confused here. It's not the word "lefty" that makes you cringe, but actual lefties. "Lefty" is, I'm almost sure, a word you use yourself very freely. It's a pejorative term for those who bat on the other side from us, politically. No lefty would use it. 

4 hours ago, Colonel Bonkers said:

I may have led a sheltered life, but I don't think I've ever heard anyone use "hubby" (I know it exists, of course, like many other unpleasant things).

I only object to "kids" when it's used as a kind of excuse or attenuating circumstance for people whose age makes it very difficult to place them in that category.

Colonel, input "hubby" into the search facility on here and you will find it appears 344 times - most recently used by our friend Cov! 

Not so much the words themselves that make me cringe but the way some people enunciate them:

• Newkiller instead of nuclear; and
  • renumeration instead of remuneration (this enunciation from one of my friends who should know better - he's a chartered accountant!)
2 people like this

26 minutes ago, Moonraker said:

Colonel, input "hubby" into the search facility on here and you will find it appears 344 times - most recently used by our friend Cov! 

No, I meant it quite literally when I said "heard". No one I know has ever used it, and people I don't know must keep their voices decently lowered when they do.

Not so much cringe as annoy.   The gender neutral "chair".  What's so offensive in being called a man or woman.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

11 hours ago, MySecretLife said:

Cheating slightly - two words "You know" no; I don't know and niether do you or you wouldn't be saying that - you'd be explaining yourself ...

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/you+know

This is one of the expressions I dislike, besides........... 'you know what I mean', 'yeah, man' or 'yeah, mate', 'that is hot', 'totals' or other word shortening as if the person is cool.  This is not 'cool' at all, it just shows the person has a very limited vocabulary and does not have a wider view of the world.  

Edited by Annabellexoxo

4 hours ago, Annabellexoxo said:

This is one of the expressions I dislike, besides........... 'you know what I mean', 'yeah, man' or 'yeah, mate', 'that is hot', 'totals' or other word shortening as if the person is cool.  This is not 'cool' at all, it just shows the person has a very limited vocabulary and does not have a wider view of the world.  

says one who didn't know what the London season meant     ,

1 person likes this

20 hours ago, worldpunter said:

says one who didn't know what the London season meant     ,

I am still debating whether to ignore you or to continue looking compassionately at everything you have to say........ although you only seem to repeat yourself: maybe you are a robot :lol:

the word "bigot"

as it is now so commonplace and often used without any justification as an insult to anyone who favours traditional values (ie conventional marriages) or anyone who thinks immigration control is a good idea

1 person likes this

4 minutes ago, lancelot said:

the word "bigot"

as it is now so commonplace and often used without any justification as an insult to anyone who favours traditional values (ie conventional marriages) or anyone who thinks immigration control is a good idea

like racist.

The one that bugs is people talking and in mid sentence say listen, WTF do they think I am already doing.

A word that does not bother me, however a lot hate is MOIST.

Partner; when used to describe relationship.

To me this makes it appear a business arrangement not one based, rather than mutual attraction, friendship, trust or love et al.

i am much happier with boy/girl friend, my man, the misses or even husband/wife. I believe these are far more appropriate to describe the relationship between lovers.

Loulou ..

Sound like gay to me, I am not for the moment !

Chillax and Banter.

No reasonable explanation as to why, I just find them both bothersome!

Bing and bling

People who say gobsmacked. I also get fed up with people describing things as amazing. It is so overused.

1 hour ago, COLL said:

People who say gobsmacked. I also get fed up with people describing things as amazing. It is so overused.

Flabbergasted is so much better.

1 person likes this

18 hours ago, COLL said:

Awesome's even worse.

using the word 'do' to mean having sex with someone.

1 person likes this

Other dislike, babe or babes.