Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wearywilly

Internet and phone line providers

11 posts in this topic

I would welcome advice from those in the know.

I went onto the Internet in the days of the dial-up modems, so I had to get my telephone line from BT and the Internet from a separate provider, in my case AOL (now part of Talktalk).

Getting the telephone line installed was a bit of saga as I wanted it put in my upstairs front bedroom that I also use as an office. When the BT engineer called to install the socket and inside wiring it was a real sucked teeth/brown overall job "Oh dear. I don't know about this."

Anyway, after two or three days another lot of BT blokes arrived, did the outside cabling and everything worked OK.

When broadband came along, I upgraded with AOL but the telephone line remained with BT and I still have this split provision.

Recently I have been thinking of getting the Internet provision and telephone line brought together but I'm not sure which is the best or least bad provider. I would welcome advice on this.

Also, I currently have an ADSL filter that my AOL modem is connected to. If I upgrade to fibre broadband would I need to have a new socket installed or would I be able to plug any new modem into the existing ADSL filter? Once again, I would be very grateful for advice on this point.

After many years and poor experiences of managing seperate BT and Internet Supplier accounts I put everything over onto BT and use their Infinity services.  If a fault occurs its one party + BT Sport is provided

Many people don't like BT but most have no issues.

I think the BT Sport comes 'free' with the top of the range broadband spec - i was paying £5 a month for one version of it over and above my package (I am not sure if infinity always means infinite hours of use).

No idea about ADSL filter but I don't use filters now. I just have a box BT came and fitted and which became redundant but still stuck there when I upgraded a year later.

Isnt there a problem with BT internet email?

Yes there is, Cov. It was BT Yahoo, then BT carried out (and repeated) an exercise to get users to go over to BT by registering and linking email to BT Broadband (or pay for mail) ....and it's still a confusion of BT and Yahoo three or four years later.The BT mail now has reduced functionality, and the 'full' version puts an advert at the start of every mailbox.. Go to the 'basic version and there are no ads....but no bold, italic, etc and the 'contacts' groups don't work.

It's about time that BT got their act together, and maybe the Regulator might start this.

43 minutes ago, pabulum said:

Yes there is, Cov. It was BT Yahoo, then BT carried out (and repeated) an exercise to get users to go over to BT by registering and linking email to BT Broadband (or pay for mail) ....and it's still a confusion of BT and Yahoo three or four years later.The BT mail now has reduced functionality, and the 'full' version puts an advert at the start of every mailbox.. Go to the 'basic version and there are no ads....but no bold, italic, etc and the 'contacts' groups don't work.

It's about time that BT got their act together, and maybe the Regulator might start this.

but cant BT customers just use a web based email like gmail?

52 minutes ago, Coventrypunter said:

but cant BT customers just use a web based email like gmail?

Yes.

The issue I have with BT email is that you have to click on various elements of the mail box to be able to read a message (reply then read original email) and various random elements to get the headings such as move and delete to become active - and this is the 'full' version.

I've got a BT package that includes my landline, internet (BT Infinity) and telly (BT Vision).  My broadband is fibre optic and super fast, and having BT for my telly means I can either record stuff or watch it on demand.  God, I sound like an advert.  :P

But yeah, I'd recommend BT, but it depends who's got the best signal where you live.  For example, I have a mate that used to have Sky (for some unknown reason) and the speed is his area was absolutely abysmal so he got rid of it, but in other areas it may have been okay.  Best thing is to compare speeds available for your adress with each of the main providers and go with the fastest one - even if it's not the cheapest, it's definitely worth it.

Many thanks for all the replies.

On 8/17/2016 at 0:23 PM, Coriander said:

But yeah, I'd recommend BT, but it depends who's got the best signal where you live.  For example, I have a mate that used to have Sky (for some unknown reason) and the speed is his area was absolutely abysmal so he got rid of it, but in other areas it may have been okay.  Best thing is to compare speeds available for your adress with each of the main providers and go with the fastest one - even if it's not the cheapest, it's definitely worth it.

But speeds available (worded as 'up to') don't indicate what speed a specific customer might get and the people who monitor the industry are proving toothless.

On 9/12/2016 at 8:10 AM, vivluvsme said:

But speeds available (worded as 'up to') don't indicate what speed a specific customer might get and the people who monitor the industry are proving toothless.

I speak and the world listens - papers reporting intention to tighten how broadband providers report their speed and enable proper customer comparisons.