Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lancelot

Pavement Parkers

14 posts in this topic

For me - the one thing that makes me steam

It's fucking senseless drivers who park on the pavement in such a way that if a mum came with a pram she would have to go on the road

that makes me steam! tradesmen are the worst - and there is never a copper in sight to do anything about it.

Posted (edited)

Understood but as housing estate roads are now narrower (thanks, Mr Prescott) if they didn't park on the pavement the buses couldn't get through.

Clearly wrong to force anyone into the road - my next-door neighbour does it because he built a garage and he can't open the door unless the car is far enough away to be blocking the pavement.

So I agree but it must be a small difference between cars letting buses past and pedestrians getting past on the pavement.

Edited by vivluvsme

25 minutes ago, vivluvsme said:

Understood but as housing estate roads are now narrower (thanks, Mr Prescott) if they didn't park on the pavement the buses couldn't get through.

Clearly wrong to force anyone into the road - my next-door neighbour does it because he built a garage and he can't open the door unless the car is far enough away to be blocking the pavement.

So I agree but it must be a small difference between cars letting buses past and pedestrians getting past on the pavement.

So mums with prams walk on the road up the middle do they.

I'm thinking not of residents but mainly traders - who could park up the road safely but decide they want to be as close as possible to the house where they are working - and if that means blocking to pavement so be it.

But I have also seen it done when there is loads of room on the road.

1 person likes this

1. In the part of Central London where I have a flat, a warden would have slapped a ticket on you in less than 10 minutes.

1 hour ago, Colonel Bonkers said:
  1. In the part of Central London where I have a flat, a warden would have slapped a ticket on you in less than 10 minutes.

These guys seem to wait for people and sneak on them from around the corner: I witnessed so many arguments but it looks like no one can win with them - they are the parking Gods!!!

I do understand your frustration but some housing estates/streets were built donkeys years ago when vehicle parking wasn't an issue and thus if they DIDNT park on the path other traffic would not get by.

But your right, some people do take the Mickey and wont walk any further than they have to!

On 03/08/2016 at 10:44 AM, Annabellexoxo said:

These guys seem to wait for people and sneak on them from around the corner: I witnessed so many arguments but it looks like no one can win with them - they are the parking Gods!!!

Cut them some slack!  They have quotas to fill.   :)

The offence is driving on the pavement, not obstruction.

Posted (edited)

Don't get me started.

The smallish, outskirts of lakeland town I have moved to has got to take the biscuit regards parking. Cars parked on;

Pavements

Double yellow lines

Able bodied non-blue badgers in disabled spaces

Blocking in others

Can't park within clearly marked spaces, so rendering other car park spaces unusable

Storing untaxed, un-mot'd, unroadworthy, uninsured cars on car parks and in residents spaces without the required passes or tickets.

All ignored, all causes problems to residents and visitors alike.

Oh and the remainder of the rambling town is falling down. It is however pretty, and with some TLC will rise again - however the pavement/double yellow/disabled parkers outside sandwich shops, Greggs, and other takeaways before and after work will probably continue. Sadenning and the few police do nothing about it, and traffic wardens are spread thinly over too large an area. Local council say they have no power over the dumped vehicles.

When accepting a booking I always ask about parking, I refuse to leave my car parked illegally. One man told me there's loads of parking, arrived at his 2 hour booking to find signs stating 'Residents permit holders, or 30 minutes only'. He said it would be ok, err not a happy bunny.

Edited by Strawberry

12 hours ago, pollyp23 said:

The offence is driving on the pavement, not obstruction.

that's funny because once when a van was pavement parked outside my house - a policeman happened to be walking by and I came out and said look at this

"I appreciate what you are saying sire but in my opinion this van is not causing an obstruction"

58 minutes ago, lancelot said:

that's funny because once when a van was pavement parked outside my house - a policeman happened to be walking by and I came out and said look at this

"I appreciate what you are saying sire but in my opinion this van is not causing an obstruction"

didnt want to do the paperwork.

On 08/08/2016 at 6:56 PM, Gaz up North said:

I do understand your frustration but some housing estates/streets were built donkeys years ago when vehicle parking wasn't an issue and thus if they DIDNT park on the path other traffic would not get by.

But your right, some people do take the Mickey and wont walk any further than they have to!

Correct however having a car isn't a right, and no one is forced to park illegally or against the rules. Often it's darn dangerous.

On 8/3/2016 at 7:59 AM, lancelot said:

So mums with prams walk on the road up the middle do they.

I'm thinking not of residents but mainly traders - who could park up the road safely but decide they want to be as close as possible to the house where they are working - and if that means blocking to pavement so be it.

But I have also seen it done when there is loads of room on the road.

RE mums: I didn't defend the practice but explained why it happens more.

I also think people living on the newer estates get so used to parking half on/half off because the roads are so narrow then carry on when parking on wider roads simply out of habit.

Hereabouts a number of the Victorian/Edwardian residential streets have been made one-way, with parking on one side only, because of the impossibility of anyone getting through otherwise. So you may have to drive three sides of a square to get into your own street.

So many drivers seem to adopt a different persona when behind the wheel. I look forward to the era of small driverless cars being the only ones on the roads.

*exits hurriedly*