Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Max Gentle

Headline: "Rio Child Sex Trafficking ‘Epidemic’ Could Rocket During The 2016 Olympics."

4 posts in this topic

Here's an article from The Huffington Post, purporting to expose "...what experts call an 'epidemic' involving hundreds of thousands of children."

Haven't we heard this one before? Every time there's a major sporting event, there are dire predictions of a massive upsurge in prostitution yet they never seem to happen.
Just another case of the old journalistic adage: "Never let the facts get in the way of a good story."

Posted (edited)

I have no definitive information but I don't see how anyone without specific first-hand evidence knows this is not happening.

"Never let ignorance of the facts get in the way of an pre-determined opinion."

Remember Rotherham.

Edited by vivluvsme

why would you traffic kids to Rio?  there is a load of street kids there already.  Someone nasty could organise those into sex work I am sure.

5 hours ago, vivluvsme said:

I have no definitive information but I don't see how anyone without specific first-hand evidence knows this is not happening.

"Never let ignorance of the facts get in the way of an pre-determined opinion."

Remember Rotherham.

Not so much a pre-determined opinion on my part, rather a scepticism of sensational claims made by journalists backed up by unverified and/or disputed figures.
Just because some journalist makes a claim that so-and-so is true doesn't make it true and I don't see it as my mission to investigate any such claims in infinite detail. Going on past experience, I treat such claims with a degree of scepticism.

Rotherham, of course, was not an international sporting event.

See: http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2015/jan/29/john-cornyn/does-sex-trafficking-increase-around-super-bowl/
"The Global Alliance Against Trafficking in Women, an advocacy group, published an extensive report on sex trafficking and the major sports events, including the Super Bowl, in 2011. 'The hype around large sporting events and increases in trafficking for prostitution is often based on misinformation, poor data and a tendency to sensationalize," the report says. "On various occasions, politicians have uncritically repeated this claim, despite the fact that numerous researchers, anti-trafficking experts, and non-governmental organisations (NGOs) have stated that there is no evidence of a link between large sporting events and trafficking for prostitution.'"

Victoria Hayes, Human Trafficking for Sexual Exploitation at World Sporting Events, 85 Chi.-Kent. L. Rev. 1105 (2010).
Available at: http://scholarship.kentlaw.iit.edu/cklawreview/vol85/iss3/8
"Despite incomplete empirical evidence, the 2004 Athens Olympics, 2006 World Cup in Germany, and 2008 Beijing Olympics indicate that international concerns about world sporting events leading to drastic increases in sex trafficking may be exaggerated. Similarly, research suggests that differing approaches to prostitution policies have little effect on sex trafficking in general and at world sporting events in particular."

1 person likes this