Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Carnival

How to react if you meet someone and they tell you they are a sex worker

10 posts in this topic

Thank you for the link - an interesting read. The posting is dated Jan 2012. Do you know if Jane Whatsername (as she signed her letter to Feminists) is still about?

Thank you for the link - an interesting read. The posting is dated Jan 2012. Do you know if Jane Whatsername (as she signed her letter to Feminists) is still about?

think she was in NZ.  Maybe still is- dunno

On her web site she says that she lives and works in South Australia. Her most recent blog posting is dated 28 February 2016. She has a Facebook account and an email address but doesn't appear to do Twitter.

1 person likes this

As Irgendeiner said, thanks for posting it. A good read, and I like the suggestions towards the end that if we support the idea of folk following a career in sex work we should say so when appropriate.

On her web site she says that she lives and works in South Australia. Her most recent blog posting is dated 28 February 2016. She has a Facebook account and an email address but doesn't appear to do Twitter.

Yes, she does. There's a link at the bottom of the right-hand column.

On 21/08/2016 at 0:18 AM, pabulum said:

As Irgendeiner said, thanks for posting it. A good read, and I like the suggestions towards the end that if we support the idea of folk following a career in sex work we should say so when appropriate.

I think the journalist who penned this article in yesterday's Guardian would probably be with you on that.

Sadly I thunk she is a little over optimistic when she asserts that:

Almost all but the most conservative would agree that there is no longer any shame in selling one’s body for money...... Becoming a sex worker is now seen, by an ever-increasing number of people, as a viable, non-judgment-inducing career choice, as benign as working in an office or at any other “straight” job.

Hopefully she's just a little bit ahead of her time.

Incidentally, has anyone here seen the TV series The Girlfriend Experience which spurred the writing of this Guardian article?

I'd ask her how much.....

1 person likes this

Awesome article. I'm loving it! B)

I should have found it 2-3 years ago to show it to my ex- boyfriend when I told him....:( never mind....he's x anyway 

Edited by Melissa

I never met a guy to tell me he is a sex worker.  But I met an Australian guy in a bar who came to me with his very fit body and open shirt half his chest to tell me he is a stripper.  He then said 'do you want to come to my place?'  No drink to offer, no chit chat............ some guy are really easy.  I just told him 'sorry' and saw him leaving the bar.

1 person likes this