Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Art Issue

London is a big place

10 posts in this topic

Why does this site not distinguish between places in London in the field reports.

If you put Harrow in to the location when you write a report it comes up as London.

Living on the outskirts, to me London is right in the centre of the city, and isn't really somewhere I would look to go as in my mind London is an hours drive or a train ride and too far away.

Do people writing reports about girls in Bromley, Sutton and Dagenham experience the same as I do for North West London?

I may not be fully understanding but I have just searched for the four towns you mention and every one has field reports for that town name - not many (max 22 for one of these towns, I think) but they are there.

I wonder if Greater Londoners usually put London as their location, which would mean you need to somehow try to get them to be more specific.

I can see the frustration it must cause.

PS Re-reading your post, I don't understand why you writing reports don't seem to be able to get Harrow to stay as the location. The most recent Harrow one is October last year.

Edited by vivluvsme

I raised pretty much the same issue in 2015. Here is the content of my post:

I mainly punt around North London, so when we had 2 location fields in the review, I could put North London and Finchley or whatever. I could search on North London and find reviews I was interested in. Now almost every review for the London area just says London, so I would have to read 100 reviews to find 1 or 2 of interest, so I dont bother. Neither do I write reviews which noone can find or read. I presume the system works OK for Central London, as most of the London reviews relate to there, but suburbia is out in the cold. I guess the same applies to some extent in the other bigger cities.

The new database only allows for 1 location field, but we could use it more helpfully if the guidelines were changed.

I guess reviewers could be asked to put a sub-area after the main one - London Central or London North,

and then put a more local area name under the "Her Place" prompt if appropriate.

My second post recognised that there is a second location field, but the advice given is NOT to use it to refine the main location.

Galahad replied to say that "Geo-coding" would be introduced to allow search by distance from a point - a post-code, I think. I guess it proved too difficult.

I still think that a primary location of Central or North/South/EastWest  London, and a secondary location of Bromley, Sutton, Southgate, Soho or whatever would work much better than the present (and its just the advice that needs to change - no coding change). For 2 or 3 years now I do not search for reviews unless for a known name, nor do I write reviews because no one can find them.

why not have a field for the first part of the postcode (tekkies call it the outcode?   once there is enough new data with the new field, one can search by postcode proximity. Almost every database in the UK has postcodes.  come on Gal, get with it! 

Possibly off-topic; definitely a separate issue; but broadly related to the above comments in my opinion . . .

Why not align the regions on this forum to the administrative regions of the UK?

36 minutes ago, Bond said:

Possibly off-topic; definitely a separate issue; but broadly related to the above comments in my opinion . . .

Why not align the regions on this forum to the administrative regions of the UK?

I presume because very many of the UK administrative regions are punting deserts and others are super served.

On 03/09/2016 at 10:03 PM, Bond said:

Why fix what ain't broke ?

The regional forums have been refined since they were introduced, with the addition of sections for Manchester, Birmingham, Milton Keynes, within their areas, and London has sticky threads for oriental, ebony EE, Soho, which keep the sections/threads to manageable sizes. It seems to work pretty well to me - unlike the Reviews search.

This drives me crazy on a regular basis

London Postcodes should be London  SE W NW SW  N EC etc

Anything else should be outside ie UB HA DA CR

SInce when has Kent or Middlesex part of London?  Crazy behavior agghhh

Chloe x

Traditionally, anything inside or adjacent to the M25 has been considered London regardless of post code.

I am developing a new geocoding system which will validate all locations into correctly formatted place names and lat/long coordinates. This will allow searching for reviews by distance from a post code or place name just like the Service Provider profile search. I just have to find time to work on it.

The forum regions were originally made the same as those on the BBC News website. Some good suggestions from members resulted in some changes to that though, and the present regions seem to work well.

13 hours ago, Galahad said:

Traditionally, anything inside or adjacent to the M25 has been considered London regardless of post code.

I am developing a new geocoding system which will validate all locations into correctly formatted place names and lat/long coordinates. This will allow searching for reviews by distance from a post code or place name just like the Service Provider profile search. I just have to find time to work on it.

The forum regions were originally made the same as those on the BBC News website. Some good suggestions from members resulted in some changes to that though, and the present regions seem to work well.

Use the postcode County system and you cannot go wrong

Erith (DA kent)

Morden (CR surrey)

Uxbridge (UB Middlesex)

Totally foolproof sysem and much easier to see where in the Uk people are :)

Chloe x