JKay

Strange emails.......

3 posts in this topic

Years ago when I was with orange broadband I was assigned the email address along the lines of  "jay@jayblogs.orangehome.co.uk " this is still active as long as I long in every so often, just use it for a few things.

Been getting a few emails from names I don't know, some with attachments, some saying its invoices or payments due, that sort of malarkey so I just add to the spam block list and delete, recently have been getting shed loads of Mail return notices, failed to deliver that sort of shit also what looks like personal messages like " going to x today, any problems call me on ........." My security software is not logging anything, yesterday I got 2000 failed to deliver messages, yet my email sent box is empty, nothing sent for weeks. I looked at some of the emails and none were in my account name   "jay@jayblogs.orangehome.co.uk " but were mostly variations like jonsnow@jayblogs.orangehome.co.uk all in the theme of @jayblogs.orangehome.co.uk any clues as to whats going on?

Not only am I running quality security stuff I also do regular online scans with over flavours of security just to double check and apart of the odd cookie there does not seem to be a problem on PC, any ideas? 

Sounds to me like you clicked onto a phishing site link at some point, and someone got your details. Yahoo Mail for instance has been rife with potential hackers just lately, and I don't imagine for one minute that it's just Yahoo Mail. Reports are coming in that Amazon and Ebay accounts are being targetted.

Best practice if you get an email advising to change your password is bin it - then if you really wanted to change your details, go direct to the website, ie NOT via a link.

Also, turn on any two-step verification that might be present - that buggers hackers up before they even start!

Just found out that a car forum that I am a member of was hacked and database info was being sold online so perhaps this is the answer but interesting that my email address is not being used at all Jay@jayblogs.orangehome.co.uk but variations before the @, mostly French sounding names with postmaster or unable to deliver messages most with attachments, the other type is like out of office replies, change of home address, details of sporting events but all with no attachments, these seem to be from USA direction.