Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jonnybgood

A Lack of Imagination?

8 posts in this topic

A remake of Ben Hur has just been released, it bombed in the US. Soon a remake of The Magnificent Seven will be released. Over the last few years there have been quite a few remakes, re imagining's, prequels, sequels and extending 'franchises' well past a sell buy date. Some efforts have seen a better product, where as others, well!

Doe's this show a lack of imagination, an aversion to risk or just the studio's maximising their investments.

I am not a fan of remakes, yet Ben Hur looks amazing from the little they have released: I doubt teens would pay as much attention or bother to see the original Ben Hur.  Also what if the studios were to make Cleopatra again?

On the other hand is great to inspire people with historical movies like this: it also inspired me to read the books or articles, watch documentaries on the events and be more interested in History in general.

Thinking of that, the new Break point was very good because of the special effects and stunts: it clearly took everything to a new level.

Definitely the latter, it's a case of an easy win, even if one or two flips flop....don't forget the cobtinuation of related merchandise...

The 50s ben hur was always going to be a hard act to follow - it's worth watching for the magnificent music alone.

If the originals were brought out now, exactly as they were originally, we would think "what a pile of shite". The fact is though that they were released at a different time in our lives so wrapped up with memories from yonder years when they were just amazing, stunning, gritty and super modern. Nothing can really compare to nostalgia can it. 

I used to LUUURRVE the carry on movies, childhood just wouldnt have been the same without them, however, if they did remakes they just couldnt possibly be as good as the originals regardless of how dated they now look now. 

On the buses, they better bloody NOT remake 

10 minutes ago, Chloe Kisses said:

+1

23 hours ago, Chloe Kisses said:

If the originals were brought out now, exactly as they were originally, we would think "what a pile of shite". The fact is though that they were released at a different time in our lives so wrapped up with memories from yonder years when they were just amazing, stunning, gritty and super modern. Nothing can really compare to nostalgia can it. 

I used to LUUURRVE the carry on movies, childhood just wouldnt have been the same without them, however, if they did remakes they just couldnt possibly be as good as the originals regardless of how dated they now look now. 

Oh Christ On the buses was shite.

On 27/09/2016 at 3:54 PM, Chloe Kisses said:

ooooh Matron!

they couldnt remake them as the carry ons were really a once in an era shoecase for the talents of sid james, babs windsor, ken williams, hattie jacques et al

and UK humour has changed too - nobody would find that slap and tickle stuff funny anymore - it died with frankie howard

many originals are still side splitting - my young un finds frank spencer hilarious - fawlty towers too