vivluvsme

Monitor issue

12 posts in this topic

I received a Windows 10 update when I went to switch off a couple of evenings ago.

The next morning on start up it said it was updating and would take a while. It must have been something near an hour.

Since then my monitor regularly goes black for a few seconds, comes back on for a second, goes black again and then the screen is restored.

If the pc is image is also being shown on my TV, the TV image is unaffected through this.

I have run any MS fix it programs I could find but no effect and it doesn't detect any monitor issues.

Any thoughts, please?

I've had similar. The update took a couple of hours but I get the screen going on and off only when using Microsoft Edge browser - so its back to chrome and firefox both of which are fine. Edge just flashes the screen on/off a few times then crashes.

Thanks. Interesting to know I am not the only one and helpful therefore to stop me rushing out to buy a new monitor.

But I am already on Chrome.

I hope the change of browser works for you.

Frustrating lack of info when trying to find a solution but very many Q&As on forums about the screen going black for extended times.

Stick to Windows 7 and so far no hassle.

3 hours ago, met012 said:

Stick to Windows 7 and so far no hassle.

Well quite a long time with Windows 10 and previously no hassle but this situation is irritating.

Two people on here have met it but not a discussed topic on the forums I've looked at so far,

Yes, Viv, all this happens to me too. I hate the bloody system.

I've rolled back to pre-anniversary update and now back to a stable system.

The crashes were becoming too frequent

I tried some corrective scans through the Windows system.

System restore didn't seem to be an option.

Taking the option to go back to a fresh version saving files but losing settings sounded too risky to me as it didn't explain what sort of things would be lost as settings.

Oh and the black screen x 2 phenomenon has happened twice while I've been typing this.

I have now gone back to a restore point from immediately before the upgrade. An hour of bliss then it started its 2 black flashes again.

Grrr

I thought I had hit on another reason - my streaming advice is wifi and sometimes there seemed to be some intereference with the PC screen image changing size.

But I tried the PC with no streaming connected up at all and eventually the 2 sec black/0.5 sec flash of pic/1 sec black screen was back.

Odd that the pattern is identical every time.

Any tech geniuses about? ;(

Edited by vivluvsme

20 hours ago, vivluvsme said:

I thought I had hit on another reason - my streaming advice is wifi and sometimes there seemed to be some intereference with the PC screen image changing size.

But I tried the PC with no streaming connected up at all and eventually the 2 sec black/0.5 sec flash of pic/1 sec black screen was back.

Odd that the pattern is identical every time.

Any tech geniuses about? ;(

How old is your graphics card? does the manufacture have a W10 update?

6 hours ago, JKay said:

How old is your graphics card? does the manufacture have a W10 update?

I have never known how to see details of the graphics card. The PC is only 3 years old (if only is appropriate).

I did attempt to look into the graphics card issue but got nowhere.

Oddly, there was no incidence of the flashing today until I started streaming on the TV (streaming doesn't directly involve the PC but I think the wifi is having an influence).

I will try to get further on with finding graphics card info now you have raised it as well although the identical flash/flash pattern is making me think it is a wifi issue.

Thanks