Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lancelot

Great British Bake Off - Just a cake competition FFS.

52 posts in this topic

What's all the media interest in this program - as I understand it's a comp to see who can make the best cake - and it's a top rated show?

doesnt sound interesting at all

and strictly come dancing

modern day tv sounds like a load of rubbish and i'm glad I dont watch it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Might not sound interesting to you but a lot of people enjoy watching it. Including me. 

I have zero interest in sports TV but again loads of people like watching that. Horses for courses and all. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, lancelot said:

What's all the media interest in this program - as I understand it's a comp to see who can make the best cake - and it's a top rated show?

doesnt sound interesting at all

and strictly come dancing

Well the "real" point of any of those type of shows is:-

a  ) The drama created by the clash of the interests / opinions of the panel of experts

b )  The journey the contestants go on. as they progress throughout the competition.

Whether it's who's the best singer / dancer; who's the best cook or whatever "talent" they are promoting, those are the fundamental reasons people watch those kind of shows and why they are a ratings winner. Has been the fundamental formulae since the Millennium.

11 hours ago, lancelot said:

modern day tv sounds like a load of rubbish and i'm glad I dont watch it.

Well as an 80's kids TV show once said:-

'Why don't you turn off the TV set and do something less boring instead?'

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the truth is TV viewing is dying a slow death - I understand that 10 mill is now considered a bumper audience - last time  watches telly in the 90s I recall eastenders getting 20M viewers week in week out. Now it gets 5-6 mill viewers an episode.

a cake comp certainly does not warranty a 160 quid license fee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, lancelot said:

I think the truth is TV viewing is dying a slow death - I understand that 10 mill is now considered a bumper audience - last time  watches telly in the 90s I recall eastenders getting 20M viewers week in week out. Now it gets 5-6 mill viewers an episode.

a cake comp certainly does not warranty a 160 quid license fee

Did you realise that the BBC does provide a little bit more than Bake Off for your license fee?

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Solid sponges and soggy bottoms keet spirits up in times of hardship..its NEVER just a baking competition :D

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, lancelot said:

I think the truth is TV viewing is dying a slow death - I understand that 10 mill is now considered a bumper audience - last time  watches telly in the 90s I recall eastenders getting 20M viewers week in week out. Now it gets 5-6 mill viewers an episode.

a cake comp certainly does not warranty a 160 quid license fee

yes but Eastenders was actually good back then but surely Grange Hill MUST have topped eastenders viewing numbers, I dont know a single person I went to school with who DIDNT watch that, it was virtually mandatory at one point

Edited by Chloe Kisses

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Chloe Kisses said:

yes but Eastenders was actually good back then but surely Grange Hill MUST have topped eastenders viewing numbers, I dont know a single person I went to school with who DIDNT watch that, it was virtually mandatory at one point

But how many people older than you watched Grange Hill? I suspect Eastenders was watched by a broader cross section of the British Public.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, lancelot said:

I think the truth is TV viewing is dying a slow death - I understand that 10 mill is now considered a bumper audience - last time  watches telly in the 90s I recall eastenders getting 20M viewers week in week out. Now it gets 5-6 mill viewers an episode.

a cake comp certainly does not warranty a 160 quid license fee

To be fair, there were a lot less (mainstream) channels in the 90's; so of course, programs on primetime BBC1 / ITV would hold a monopoly on viewing figures. Unless you were rich enough to fork out for Sky, Cable etc. you had a choice of "The Fab Five" and that was it (maybe Blockbusters Video on a Sat night). Not to mention the Internet... OK, it was around then, but it wasn't the mass multimedia it is today. The 90's pre-dates things like YouTube, Facebook  etc. which all now are favourite pastimes we all take for granted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, DirtyGit said:

To be fair, there were a lot less (mainstream) channels in the 90's; so of course, programs on primetime BBC1 / ITV would hold a monopoly on viewing figures. Unless you were rich enough to fork out for Sky, Cable etc. you had a choice of "The Fab Five" and that was it (maybe Blockbusters Video on a Sat night). Not to mention the Internet... OK, it was around then, but it wasn't the mass multimedia it is today. The 90's pre-dates things like YouTube, Facebook  etc. which all now are favourite pastimes we all take for granted.

Yes I know - who wants to watch TV when you can watch whatever you want when you want from other channels.

but given viewing figures are 1/3 of what they used to be - shouldnt the beeb budget be 1/3

anyway modern tv is shite - it's all house revovations, cookery programs

and TVs flagship top gear died a death just because some arrogant drunken twat thumped someone and lost his job

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, lancelot said:

anyway modern tv is shite - it's all house revovations, cookery programs

and TVs flagship top gear died a death just because some arrogant drunken twat thumped someone and lost his job

Hate to say it, but you are turning into your parents.

It seems every generation has something to say about the "modern youth" and looks back on their own era with rose-tinted glasses and everything was wonderful.

And it wasn't just one punch that cost Jeremy his job, he made several blunders before that, IMHO, they had no choice but to let him go.... or it sends the message that he could get away with anything.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, lancelot said:

anyway modern tv is shite - it's all house revovations, cookery programs

and TVs flagship top gear died a death just because some arrogant drunken twat thumped someone and lost his job

You should also include talent competitions for those of limited talent and so called reality TV which is anything but. And don't get me started on the crappy soaps.

And to call Top Gear TV's flagship show is just wrong - it got to be so childish that it should have been shown on CBeebies.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, DirtyGit said:

Hate to say it, but you are turning into your parents.

It seems every generation has something to say about the "modern youth" and looks back on their own era with rose-tinted glasses and everything was wonderful.

And it wasn't just one punch that cost Jeremy his job, he made several blunders before that, IMHO, they had no choice but to let him go.... or it sends the message that he could get away with anything.

I appreciate that much of current television will not appeal to me, being produced for a younger age group.  What surprises me is the almost total lack of new productions that I want to switch on for.  Either I'm in a minority of people even within my age group, or most over 60's are getting a raw deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DirtyGit said:

Hate to say it, but you are turning into your parents.

It seems every generation has something to say about the "modern youth" and looks back on their own era with rose-tinted glasses and everything was wonderful.

And it wasn't just one punch that cost Jeremy his job, he made several blunders before that, IMHO, they had no choice but to let him go.... or it sends the message that he could get away with anything.

Hate to say it, but you are turning into your parents.

no I'm not - where are dramas of the quality of Cracker for example? Or cop shows like the sweeney? or any of the legendary sitcoms we had in the 70s and 80s? and I liked the TV my parents liked (ie 60s stuff - steptoe and son etc)

same with pop music - utter rubbish the whole lot since the spice girls appeared in the 90s

Edited by lancelot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

9 hours ago, lancelot said:

Hate to say it, but you are turning into your parents.

no I'm not - where are dramas of the quality of Cracker for example? Or cop shows like the sweeney? or any of the legendary sitcoms we had in the 70s and 80s? and I liked the TV my parents liked (ie 60s stuff - steptoe and son etc)

 

I'm speaking metaphorically, not literally... I don't know you or your parents.

I'm actually watching a very good TV detective drama on BBC 2 ("Conviction: Murder at the station") and there's normally a good documentary / drama on BBC 1 just before the news.

There hasn't been a British sitcom on a par with Only Fools and Horses, I'll give you that. But there was a lot of shit programs in the 1970's / 80s as well, that I'm glad are now confined to the history groups. Think of all those "comedies" that blatantly used racial or sexual stereotypes to get a quick laugh.

Seriously, take of the rose tinted glasses. There are good and bad programs around now, just as there were in the 20-30 years ago.

9 hours ago, lancelot said:

same with pop music - utter rubbish the whole lot since the spice girls appeared in the 90s

I'm not being rude here... but you don't sound like a teenager or you're in your early 20's.. Therefore I don't think those who are writing / promoting new music really give a damn what you think. If Radio 1 or Kiss doesn't do it for you, then tune in to Radio 2 or Magic FM... Lots of hits from years and decades gone by.

I don't know your tastes, but there is a massive scope of what constitutes "pop" music (including hip hop / RnB, indie, dance, rock music etc).; many of them are "real" band who've done the circuits and paid their dues.

And manufactured pop is nothing new... What about Stock-Aiken and Waterman productions of the late 80's (e.g. Big fun, Sonia, etc.)

Edited by DirtyGit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, DirtyGit said:

 

 

I'm speaking metaphorically, not literally... I don't know you or your parents.

I'm actually watching a very good TV detective drama on BBC 2 ("Conviction: Murder at the station") and there's normally a good documentary / drama on BBC 1 just before the news.

There hasn't been a British sitcom on a par with Only Fools and Horses, I'll give you that. But there was a lot of shit programs in the 1970's / 80s as well, that I'm glad are now confined to the history groups. Think of all those "comedies" that blatantly used racial or sexual stereotypes to get a quick laugh.

Seriously, take of the rose tinted glasses. There are good and bad programs around now, just as there were in the 20-30 years ago.

I'm not being rude here... but you don't sound like a teenager or you're in your early 20's.. Therefore I don't think those who are writing / promoting new music really give a damn what you think. If Radio 1 or Kiss doesn't do it for you, then tune in to Radio 2 or Magic FM... Lots of hits from years and decades gone by.

I don't know your tastes, but there is a massive scope of what constitutes "pop" music (including hip hop / RnB, indie, dance, rock music etc).; many of them are "real" band who've done the circuits and paid their dues.

And manufactured pop is nothing new... What about Stock-Aiken and Waterman productions of the late 80's (e.g. Big fun, Sonia, etc.)

I have to take issue with you there,  that's all new stuff for us.   :)

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, robert49 said:

I appreciate that much of current television will not appeal to me, being produced for a younger age group.  What surprises me is the almost total lack of new productions that I want to switch on for.  Either I'm in a minority of people even within my age group, or most over 60's are getting a raw deal.

Where's Anne Robinson when you need her eh? ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, DirtyGit said:

 

 

I'm speaking metaphorically, not literally... I don't know you or your parents.

I'm actually watching a very good TV detective drama on BBC 2 ("Conviction: Murder at the station") and there's normally a good documentary / drama on BBC 1 just before the news.

There hasn't been a British sitcom on a par with Only Fools and Horses, I'll give you that. But there was a lot of shit programs in the 1970's / 80s as well, that I'm glad are now confined to the history groups. Think of all those "comedies" that blatantly used racial or sexual stereotypes to get a quick laugh.

Seriously, take of the rose tinted glasses. There are good and bad programs around now, just as there were in the 20-30 years ago.

I'm not being rude here... but you don't sound like a teenager or you're in your early 20's.. Therefore I don't think those who are writing / promoting new music really give a damn what you think. If Radio 1 or Kiss doesn't do it for you, then tune in to Radio 2 or Magic FM... Lots of hits from years and decades gone by.

I don't know your tastes, but there is a massive scope of what constitutes "pop" music (including hip hop / RnB, indie, dance, rock music etc).; many of them are "real" band who've done the circuits and paid their dues.

And manufactured pop is nothing new... What about Stock-Aiken and Waterman productions of the late 80's (e.g. Big fun, Sonia, etc.)

Yes but in the 60s/70s pop music was liked across the generations - we all sat down and tuned into top of the pops - inc grandparents - and you dont see that now. Probably because pop music now is more about image and role models - girls want to be like Taylor Swift - and what is she exactly? an airhead blonde who makes millions from trash pop - she cant sing, cant write meaningful songs - has zero talent from what I have seen - that's what kids today conisder a role model? Adele is a tub of lard with an inferior voice to Bonnie Tyler - the singer she mimics - but far more successful - why? That has me stumped.

I never wanted to be like Freddie Mercury or any of the pop stars I listened to - I just like the music - songs etc. A lot of young people today are actually finding out what pop of yesteryear was like and on the whole they like it, from the comments I have seen on youtube.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a lot to be said about sitting naked in your hotel room eating a larger than average slice of chocolate cake!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Hero said:

There's a lot to be said about sitting naked in your hotel room eating a larger than average slice of chocolate cake!!!!

Much better still if you have someone to share it with ;)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, TheVicar said:

Much better still if you have someone to share it with ;)

 

Oooh errrrr Vicar!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Hero said:

Oooh errrrr Vicar!!!

I recommend it B)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And still the basic quesion goes unanswered and unasked - in the light of all this (the crappy programmes and declining viewing figures), what possible justification is there for the licence fee? Why does this particulary institution's round-the-clock pap require practically compulsory subsidizing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Colonel Bonkers said:

And still the basic quesion goes unanswered and unasked - in the light of all this (the crappy programmes and declining viewing figures), what possible justification is there for the licence fee? Why does this particulary institution's round-the-clock pap require practically compulsory subsidizing?

Looking through my copy of the Radio Times, and especially at the output of BBC 2 and BBC 4, I find it difficult to reconcile your description with what I see. Are you sure you are not thinking of Channel 5?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Colonel Bonkers said:

And still the basic quesion goes unanswered and unasked - in the light of all this (the crappy programmes and declining viewing figures), what possible justification is there for the licence fee? Why does this particulary institution's round-the-clock pap require practically compulsory subsidizing?

I think given that a smaller percentage of the population watch TV than ever before - looks like 20% of the adult pop more or less - why should 100% of us with TVs have to pay the license fee. I would do a pay per view system - you pay for what you watch. how many people would pay £1 to watch the great brit bake off I wonder. or say £10 for a season of them

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0