Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Claire

Wales, Midlands and West Contact Magazine

16 posts in this topic

Does anyone have a copy of this publication? Apparently I am listed in it (without my permission) and I would like to know the exact situation before I contact the publishers.

Thankyou.

Is that its actual title?

Not snappy like the ones I remember - Jezebel, Phoenix, New Delilah and the like which were Birmingham-based and may as well have had the same title as same publisher and same people in it.

I though the internet would have done for them by now. I don't think the price went up in 10 years.

Apparently that's the title, yes.

Does anyone have a copy of this publication? Apparently I am listed in it (without my permission) and I would like to know the exact situation before I contact the publishers.

Thankyou.

As a listing it does not require your permission. It is simply using information that is in the public domain. Many websites make a crust from this but most will remove your listing if "asked" but as a listing remember you supplied the information and no permission is needed.

Lou4fun

As a listing it does not require your permission. It is simply using information that is in the public domain. Many websites make a crust from this but most will remove your listing if "asked" but as a listing remember you supplied the information and no permission is needed.

Lou4fun

Surely they need permission to lift photographs which are the property of the lady / photographer concerned ?

Surely they need permission to lift photographs which are the property of the lady / photographer concerned ?

It may be I am wrong but I dont think so as long as its a listing.

There is something called a "take down notice"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Online_Copyright_Infringement_Liability_Limitation_Act

Which deals with the web aspect.

As for newspapers once its gone to press its out there and you can only ask for it to be removed from the next publication. As long as they have uses details that are in the public domain and are not acting as agent and profiting from the details its still a listing.

They certainly do need you permission! You own the copyrights to all your pics and text.

I do know what I'm talking about. 6 years ago I owned the number one website in a google search for 'diet pills'. Yes, if you typed 'diet pills' into google, my little site was above Slimfast and Weight Watches in all google and yahoo searches. I sold a revolutionary diet pill, all legal and above board, but relatively new.

Nestl

Thanks for all the replies.

Cleo, I haven't had a PM from you...

I know it sounds as though it's free advertising which is all well and good, but (it seems, as I haven't been able to see it for myself yet) they have simply taken a pic from my private gallery on Adultw0rk, and printed my phone number next to it. There is no name, no location, and no mention of my rates.

This of course is leading to lots of calls from chaps who don't usually pay the rates I charge, IYSWIM, and is NOT how I would choose to advertise myself.

I'm in the equivalent publication for the north of England (also without them having asked if I want to go in it). I get a lot of calls from men who have seen me in there and I simply refer them to my website. Not sure I've ever had a booking from it though! I believe you can get copies of the magazine from sex shops..

I'm in the equivalent publication for the north of England (also without them having asked if I want to go in it). I get a lot of calls from men who have seen me in there and I simply refer them to my website. Not sure I've ever had a booking from it though! I believe you can get copies of the magazine from sex shops..

Yes, I was (may still be) listed in them at one stage. Definitely from sex shops as I asked the callers where they had gotten the magazine from.

Re: copyright/public domain.

Unfortunately, Claire, it doesn't appear as though there's much you can do about it. I very much stand to be corrected in this but a little research brought up a couple of things:

http://www.copyrightservice.co.uk/copyright/copyright_myths

http://www.copyrightservice.co.uk/copyright/p18_copyright_names

I would have said that the upper link reinforces what others have said - that you cannot steal and publish the copyrighted work of others without their permission, whether or not it is in order to make money for yourself.

From the article: "(Myth) 4. Everything on the Internet ‘public domain’ and free to use

This highlights a common misunderstanding about what is meant by ‘public domain’ when referring to copyright work.

A work will fall into the public domain once copyright expires, this will typically be many years after the author’s death.

While work published on the Internet may be publicly accessible, it is certainly not in the public domain."

Either way, the magazine (and I've been in the Up North one too; bizarrely they only nicked an ancient picture of my legs, and even then, following some of the queries I got I had to marvel at how the callers had managed to operate a mobile phone effectively enough to contact me) has almost certainly originated from here. Enjoy :cool:.

I would have said that the upper link reinforces what others have said - that you cannot steal and publish the copyrighted work of others without their permission, whether or not it is in order to make money for yourself.

From the article: "(Myth) 4. Everything on the Internet 'public domain' and free to use

This highlights a common misunderstanding about what is meant by 'public domain' when referring to copyright work.

A work will fall into the public domain once copyright expires, this will typically be many years after the author's death.

While work published on the Internet may be publicly accessible, it is certainly not in the public domain."

:cool:.

I believe it is 70 years after the death of the author for copyright law

but my interpretation of public domain is different to yours as far as listings are concerned.

If you sell someone a bus timetable you are not profiting from the buses

(was how it was explained to me, you are merely compiling a list of times that have already been published and are already available to the public)

Again I might be wrong and sorry for misleading you if I am.

Lou4fun

It may be I am wrong but I dont think so as long as its a listing.

There is something called a "take down notice"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Online_Copyright_Infringement_Liability_Limitation_Act

Which deals with the web aspect.

As for newspapers once its gone to press its out there and you can only ask for it to be removed from the next publication. As long as they have uses details that are in the public domain and are not acting as agent and profiting from the details its still a listing.

As a directory they may use your name and use your contact number and should link to your website if they want to use any of the stuff you have on it.

Using your images, is not allowed without permission.

Apologies for reanimating a dead thread, but since a new issue of at least the picture-thieving 'Northern Playmates' magazine seems to have come out recently (according to the pondlife who have been ringing me and telling me they saw my 'details' in it) I've finally managed to get somewhere with the folk responsible. Any lady who is receiving unwanted calls as a result of her images and contact number being published without her knowledge or consent in any of DOM Promotions' grim mags, you can now have them removed from their records - the following email is from a member of the editorial staff:

Hi Amy,

We were assured when we bought the databases that the advertisers wanted to advertise in the publications. We have found since that this is not the case. We can only apolgise to these ladies for incurring them distress. For sometime we have not used the company for our databases and the said company no longer trades.

Please feel free to post my e mail address and ask the ladies to post their telephone numbers to me. I will ensure that any telephone numbers that are e mailed to me will never be published again by our company.

Kind Regards

Alex

I know we can't do anything about the ones that are already on the shelves, but it's something. The email address is: Alex@dompromotions.co.uk :)