justagirl

Display mode for threads

5 posts in this topic

As I'm fairly new to this board (and don't post on a whole host of forums) it puzzled me that I couldn't always see the latest/most recent response at the end of a thread.

The postings did not follow chronological order.

Then I realised that the default thread setting is "hybrid" mode. Am I missing something? because why would anyone have this as their default setting when the dates & times are all jumbled up (that said, I understand how the hybrid mode works)?

"Threaded mode" is just a waste of time as you have to click on each post to see it.

Lastly "linear" is the only sensible mode (in my opinion) threads should be displayed in. However you specifically have to set this display mode. So why is this not the default setting? ;)

As I'm fairly new to this board (and don't post on a whole host of forums) it puzzled me that I couldn't always see the latest/most recent response at the end of a thread.

Then I realised that the default thread setting is "hybrid" mode. Am I missing something? because why would anyone have this as their default setting when the dates & times are all jumbled up (that said, I understand how the hybrid mode works)?

"Threaded mode" is just a waste of time as you have to click on each post to see it.

Lastly "linear" is the only sensible mode (in my opinion) threads should be displayed in. However you specifically have to set this display mode. So why is this not the default setting? ;)

Different strokes for different folks. Personally I prefer hybrid as it allows me to view the posts that I want to read quickly. :)

Agreed, "Linear-Newest First" is the most sensible and practicable option.

I moaned about this back in November last year ( see the, Getting a Better Posting Experience thread.) The result was all new members would start in linear mode. I agree linear is more logical. As a new member to any sort of forum finding your way round can be a bit of a struggle.

Personally I prefer hybrid as it allows me to view the posts that I want to read quickly.
"Linear-Newest First" is the most sensible and practicable option.
I agree linear is more logical.
In praise of hybrid mode.

With many of the long threads you can get lots of branches, with each one developing its own argument/discussion. In linear mode, unless the poster quotes the message he’s posting against, it’s very difficult to follow a particular branch. Hybrid mode overcomes that difficulty.

Hybrid is the most useful mode IMHO.

So no consensus here then! :D