danrogers

Giving your mobile no. to WG?

52 posts in this topic

Where I often go there are 2 excellent WG's (amongst maybe 9 or so)and they both have my mobile number and ring me ahead of them (as individuals) having a week at the place (its on a rota - week about)

Now I wondered about this - it seems to work OK cos they let me know ahead when they are going to be there.

BUT how do punters feel about this ? are there any downsides to this ?

I certainly wonder a bit before I first give the number out to a WG and so far never had a problem.

Are they any instances where (say) an oriental WG with maybe something to gain in some way has tried to take an advantage or something ?

I'd welcome views on this one

No problem if you give them your punting mobile number(PAYG) , and ask them to text you instead , if that phone is not always on .

No problem if you give them your punting mobile number(PAYG) , and ask them to text you instead , if that phone is not always on .

As above, no problem, prefer text's rather than calls.

Seeing as most WG's dont want you to withhold your number any time you make contact they have you number!! Dont see the issue myself - there must be one or two with mine and no one abuses it!!

I contacted a WG on 'the other site' and have been recieving texts that end with an 0906 number. Nothing malicious but somewhat innapropriate if you should be at work or with friends.

Where I often go there are 2 excellent WG's (amongst maybe 9 or so)and they both have my mobile number and ring me ahead of them (as individuals) having a week at the place (its on a rota - week about)

Now I wondered about this - it seems to work OK cos they let me know ahead when they are going to be there.

BUT how do punters feel about this ? are there any downsides to this ?

I certainly wonder a bit before I first give the number out to a WG and so far never had a problem.

Are they any instances where (say) an oriental WG with maybe something to gain in some way has tried to take an advantage or something ?

I'd welcome views on this one

No downside at all as long as you have a "punting" phone

Tesco are doing a £14.95 Nokia at the moment with £10 of free credit and you get 1000 clubcard points. se effectively they are giving you the phone and £5

no problem just keep 2 mobile phones one for punting and one for everyday use

i keep my punting phone in my car with a pin lock on it and have never had any problems

I'm going to sound naive here but is the "punting phone" more to do with guys who have partners and therefore they obviously need to keep it separate from their "proper phone" or is there more to it? For us single guys is it something to consider as I never thought about having a "punting phone"? As it happens, all the places I've phoned answer withheld numbers.

I'm going to sound naive here but is the "punting phone" more to do with guys who have partners and therefore they obviously need to keep it separate from their "proper phone" or is there more to it? For us single guys is it something to consider as I never thought about having a "punting phone"? As it happens, all the places I've phoned answer withheld numbers.

I think that's basically correct.

Ah but you'll never know when you might meet someone and start a relationship. It might even be this weekend. You might meet a lovely girl in the pub, she asks for your number, you get your number on the screen and hand your phone over so she can copy your number onto hers - just as that text from SexyHotMilf arrives asking if you want an MFF at the weekend at a special price :D:eek:;).

It's always worth while having a punting sim imho. YMMV though.

Ah but you'll never know when you might meet someone and start a relationship. It might even be this weekend. You might meet a lovely girl in the pub, she asks for your number, you get your number on the screen and hand your phone over so she can copy your number onto hers - just as that text from SexyHotMilf arrives asking if you want an MFF at the weekend at a special price :D:eek:;).

You might strike lucky and she might say "I can save you some money here, you only need to book one "F", I'll be the other", but there again .........

Luckily i've not had any problems with any wg's etc abusing my number (so far) because i make it clear they're not to phone/text me. also having a mrs also complicates things if she was ever to find a "punting phone" esp in the car.... i dont fancy thinking about talking my way out of that :s.

I always try to make contact with a withheld number but if im not succesfull after a few well spaced trys i make my caller ID visible.

So on my nokia i've got a caller black-list program installed so all the punting numbers are blacklisted so if they ever call or text the software instantly detects it and rejects/deletes instantly without a sound or missed call or text showing on the screen.

:D

I don't have a "punting phone" because I am not a mobile phone person, in fact my phone is always turned off because I don't want to speak to anyone.

Guys with a partner MUST have a second phone, why not when they are so cheap. :D:confused:

I stopped going to see a masseuse, very good she was too, because she kept texting me with 'special offers' and wouldn't take the hint when I asked her to refrain. It felt like an abuse of my trust.

I always try to make contact with a withheld number but if im not succesfull after a few well spaced trys i make my caller ID visible.

So on my nokia i've got a caller black-list program installed so all the punting numbers are blacklisted so if they ever call or text the software instantly detects it and rejects/deletes instantly without a sound or missed call or text showing on the screen.

:D

I personally detest when people call me from witheld numbers. I answered two last week because I had so many it was pissing me off listening to it, stopping what I'm doing to go find the phone only to realise it was witheld. One, a tyrant of abuse; another someone who, it seems, didn't realise he was witheld who promptly called back. It is utterly rude, you want someone to give out their address to you but you cannot give them your number?

Blacklisting can be a problem, I have had bookings where I have missed a call from a client en route who (after them leaving messages to call back) I then cannot get in touch with. Also should there be any last minute change of plans, like yesterday when I had to cancel meetings, said client would be showing up anyway.

I personally detest when people call me from witheld numbers.

I understand, of course, why withheld numbers bug you so much (wankers - literally - calling to get their jollies, other people not turning up etc). But for the punter it can feel like stretching trust too far to give out your number immediately to a girl you've never met, who at that point is simply a voice on the phone. As I mentioned earlier, I once had my fingers burnt by a girl who wouldn't stop texting me and, while I accept she represents a tiny minority, now I'm uber-cautious about giving my number out.

I guess the moral of the story is - it's up to punters to treat girls' numbers with respect, and, girls, please be responsible when you have a client's number: one careless call and some of us have a lot to lose!

Edited by KarlheinzBonkhausen
adding afterthought

I stopped going to see a masseuse, very good she was too, because she kept texting me with 'special offers' and wouldn't take the hint when I asked her to refrain. It felt like an abuse of my trust.

That is completely unprofessional. :D

If a girl wants to send special offers, she should do it via emails (hopefully the gentleman has a separate email account for punting). Many gentlemen are married, have partners or simply don't want to be contacted period.

A second phone could bring about its own problems. It has nothing to do with the cost and everything to do with 'why does he need two phones all of a sudden'.

Keeping a second phone/sim hidden with success can be hard work too... some partners are inquisitive enough to search in places even you wouldn't have thought of! ;)

I don't have a "punting phone" because I am not a mobile phone person, in fact my phone is always turned off because I don't want to speak to anyone.

:

Goodness me, Jimmy, I never expected my own feelings in the matter to be so perfectly reflected.

It was my wife who insisted that I get myself a mobile. Practically the only use I put it to is for punting.

Yes phoning from withhelds can have it's problems for both WG and client. Firstly a lot of withheld number bookings don't turn up and next time you don't know if it's the same person messing around. Secondly if you make a second appointment the girl is likely to not recognise you and treat you as if it's a first appointment. Thirdly if there is any problem either of you is late or early etc you can't be contacted.

I've had chaps show their number in order to make the initial booking then revert to a withheld. If a chap arrives early I will usually agree to call him back when I'm ready - can't do that with a withheld and can get annoying for both parties as he's trying to call to check it's ok to come over every two minutes. During one of those situations I had someone else call on withheld making a general enquiry - since I couldn't discriminate between that call and my client on his way I answered it and it held me up. I've also had chaps phone from a withheld then leave a VM requesting a call back but can't make out the number since background noise/recording was so bad. If he'd rung from a displayed number then I could simply use the return call option.

Yes a lot of estalishments will accept bookings from withheld numbers however independents generally will not because they work in a different way, different call/appointment fielding, security and have a more defined appointment system.

I have a PAYG mobile just for punting. It's PIN protected and never switched on at home and stay's hidden in my laptop bag. I don't have a problem with giving the number to a regular girl.

I personally detest when people call me from witheld numbers. I answered two last week because I had so many it was pissing me off listening to it, stopping what I'm doing to go find the phone only to realise it was witheld. One, a tyrant of abuse; another someone who, it seems, didn't realise he was witheld who promptly called back. It is utterly rude, you want someone to give out their address to you but you cannot give them your number?

Blacklisting can be a problem, I have had bookings where I have missed a call from a client en route who (after them leaving messages to call back) I then cannot get in touch with. Also should there be any last minute change of plans, like yesterday when I had to cancel meetings, said client would be showing up anyway.

I have no issues with my phones black-list software, as when heading to a punt, i disable it for the duration. Plus i withhold my number its security for me as its my only phone.

I guess the moral of the story is - it's up to punters to treat girls' numbers with respect, and, girls, please be responsible when you have a client's number: one careless call and some of us have a lot to lose!

Got the nail right on the head there.

I have a PAYG mobile just for punting. It's PIN protected and never switched on at home and stay's hidden in my laptop bag. I don't have a problem with giving the number to a regular girl.

No no, as mentioned above...some women are so nosey, and look in places one didnt even know exsisted. also if your wife/gf found it and request you turn the phone on and show her everythings legit what would you do then?

dont tell me you'd say you've forgotten the pin or its not yours or you found it as those storys dont wash in the real world :D

More paranoia. Do you lot think WGs are some sort of alien subspecies who operate by a different, wantonly destructive set of social/behavioural conventions than the rest of us? Give a tart my phone number? Good heavens no!

Lots of friends -- sorry, I meant WGs -- have my (only) mobile number. I have lots of their mobile numbers in my phone. A certain person from the industry who posts here texted me in the middle of a meeting yesterday, just to say hi. Big deal. If the missus looked in my address book -- which she wouldn't, because if I was married to the sort of woman who behaved like that I wouldn't be married for very long -- and said "who's Natasha?", I'd say "a colleague" and, indeed, my mobile's address book has the details of many female colleagues who my wife doesn't know.

What a non-subject. Hint: WGs are people too. Well I never.

How anonymous is your Punting Phone????

If you bought it from Tescos and got clubcard points, Tescos know you have it and know the stock item serial number they sold you.

If you are using an old contract or payg phone that you used previously the phone companies know the IMEI number and know who it is registered to.

I bought an unlocked handset with a vodaphone pre registered payg sim in it with £10 credit for £30 cash in a shop in wolverhampton. Nobody knows I have it, I never turn it on at home, so vodaphone cant even geo locate it to my locality. If I get any problems (and have had some in the past) I just get another SIM card by walking into almost any newsagents/corner shop in Wolverhampton and get a new sim and new number.

How anonymous do you want to be?????????

when you buy phones now it is impossible to be anonymous...if you with hold your number this is very suss....

We always destroy numbers the next day and we never call the clients only text.

Just depends on how everyone purseves discreet....:D

More paranoia.

Not paranoia, no. Just wanting to take reasonable care to guard against the possibility of two incompatible parts of my life colliding, and the life-changing emotional fallout that would almost certainly occur. For various reasons - the main being that I work from home - the second phone option isn't really a goer for me, and I need to be especially careful.

All I'm asking for is mutual understanding on both sides. I've sometimes been asked for my phone number in a very aggressive manner which I reckon is unreasonable and also a complete turnoff, and I always end the conversation at that point.