Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Calynx

Maybe Jacqui is doing us all a favour

8 posts in this topic

Her proposed legislation to stop trafficking has stirred up a bit of a hornets nest. On the Beeb alone in the last week or so we've had grillings from John Humphrys on Today, cosy fireside chats with Jenni Murray on Woman's Hour, audience participation with David Dimbleby on Question Time and jocular banter from Paul Merton and Ian Hislop on Have I Got News For You?

Less than a year ago the likes of Coaker, MacShane, Mactaggart, Bindel et al were putting about statistics that said that, variously, 80% of prostitutes started as children (i.e. younger than 18) and were often "groomed" into it, 95% were drug users and 70% suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder. Prostitutes were 40 times more likely to die a violent death as other women, it was claimed, and there were as many as 25,000 "sex slaves" in Britain.

However, we now hear that there are "only" 80,000 people involved in prostitution in the UK (so over 1 in 3 of them being slaves seems a bit ludicrous), and a Mori poll finding that 59% of people agree that prostitution is a perfectly reasonable choice of work (and 37% saying they wouldn't be ashamed if a family member worked as a prostitute!) We've even had a few brave souls - both providers and users - popping their heads above the parapet to be counted.

They say there is no such thing as bad publicity, and all this "exposure" will serve to trounce some or the myths surrounding our seedy pursuits.

So maybe - just maybe - some good will come of all this.

Her proposed legislation to stop trafficking has stirred up a bit of a hornets nest. On the Beeb alone in the last week or so we've had grillings from John Humphrys on Today, cosy fireside chats with Jenni Murray on Woman's Hour, audience participation with David Dimbleby on Question Time and jocular banter from Paul Merton and Ian Hislop on Have I Got News For You?

Less than a year ago the likes of Coaker, MacShane, Mactaggart, Bindel et al were putting about statistics that said that, variously, 80% of prostitutes started as children (i.e. younger than 18) and were often "groomed" into it, 95% were drug users and 70% suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder. Prostitutes were 40 times more likely to die a violent death as other women, it was claimed, and there were as many as 25,000 "sex slaves" in Britain.

However, we now hear that there are "only" 80,000 people involved in prostitution in the UK (so over 1 in 3 of them being slaves seems a bit ludicrous), and a Mori poll finding that 59% of people agree that prostitution is a perfectly reasonable choice of work (and 37% saying they wouldn't be ashamed if a family member worked as a prostitute!) We've even had a few brave souls - both providers and users - popping their heads above the parapet to be counted.

They say there is no such thing as bad publicity, and all this "exposure" will serve to trounce some or the myths surrounding our seedy pursuits.

So maybe - just maybe - some good will come of all this.

I do admire an optimist:D On a serious note you could just be right.:eek:

Speaking as a lecherous, abusive and altogether repulsive dirty (relatively) old man who grooms girls (is that combing their hair? hairdressers are really going to get it in future!), drugs them, traffics them and generally ill treats them I think I should be stopped.

Perhaps public crucifixion would be appropriate?

Or maybe burning at the stake.

Yes, that'll teach me not to be such a disgusting pervert.

The statistics on 80,000 sex workers in the UK has always been there, it's just that until they announced the official proposals, the papers etc. were not looking into them in detail. Now they are, and Jacqui Smith's rhetoric is not standing up to even basic questioning

80,000 sex workers

of which 20,000 are estimated to be "migrant"

suddenly their statistics are looking all the more ludicrous.

Every time someone questions the fairness of the "strict liability" aspect she has no proper answer and just says "I think it's unfair that women are being held as virtual slaves in 21st Century Britain". Which is suspiciously similar to saying that two wrongs make a right. Emotionally loaded response with no relevance to the question asked.

I just saw this comment posted about Damian Green's arrest.. Isn't that just the truth..

As someone has pointed out, Smith is determinedly pushing through a law stating that ignorance is no defence (ignorance that is of a prostitute's exact working conditions) and that people will be prosecuted and jailed for paying for sex - whilst simultaneously exonerating herself from blame by pleading ignorance in the case of an attack on democracy

And this one :eek:

British citizen: "But I did not know that this young woman was employed as a prostitute by somebody else. I did not know it was the case. Nobody told me."

Response (by Home Secretary Smith): "Ignorance is no defence. You should have known. You will be charged with rape, be fined or go to jail, and be named and shamed. Your life will be ruined."

British citizen: "It is an outrageous abuse to arrest an opposition politician for doing his job."

Response (by Home Secretary Smith): But I did not know about the police action. I did not know this was the case. Nobody told me. But ignorance is my defence. So that's all right then."

The hypocrisy of this Minister would be amusing if it weren't so pathetic.

And this one :)

British citizen: "But I did not know that this young woman was employed as a prostitute by somebody else. I did not know it was the case. Nobody told me."

Response (by Home Secretary Smith): "Ignorance is no defence. You should have known. You will be charged with rape, be fined or go to jail, and be named and shamed. Your life will be ruined."

British citizen: "It is an outrageous abuse to arrest an opposition politician for doing his job."

Response (by Home Secretary Smith): But I did not know about the police action. I did not know this was the case. Nobody told me. But ignorance is my defence. So that's all right then."

The hypocrisy of this Minister would be amusing if it weren't so pathetic.

Thats a nice comparison! however the case of the arrested pc was slightly different as it wasnt Mrs J smith who ordered the arrest whereas with a punter it would be his direct actions causing him to be arrested. Bring back Blunket or even Clarke, these bloody women in high positions cause no end of trouble :eek: