Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dartagnan

Post card punting

28 posts in this topic

Walking past a newsagent's today, I was reminded of punting before the internet, and when "Massage" postcards were posted in newsagents windows. You didn't know what she would be like, and very often the "busty young blond" turned out to be anything but, but it did make punting a lot more exciting. Am I the only one who misses those postcards. Any stories of post card punts you want to share. And ladies out there still advertising this way?

Those massage cards are still in the shop windows down my way

And down mine, Lighttouch - though if memory serves, they used also to be in Post Office windows (not Crown Offices, obviously!) though they were stripped from those some years back.. now only newsagents/general stores seem to have them.

IMHO the likelihood of these cards to be placed by part-time, not-yet-jaded WGs is the main attraction.

Only once did I consider calling a number from a card in a shop window. It was a simple white card with the word "MASSAGE" followed by a telephone number.

I was transfixed by that card, by its simplicity and the hint at potential joy. All I had to do was make a phonecall and I could be naked with a woman. I stared and stared at that card, wondering what to do: should I write down the number? Should I memorize it so no one could guess at my intentions? I was paralyzed with indecision. I went into the shop and bought a bar of Whole Nut chocolate to give me time to think. I came back out and ate the chocolate as I looked at the card.

There was something gnawing at the back of my mind. The letters looked as if they had been written by a child. Each letter was separate from the next - individually written with a deliberate hand not well-versed in joined-up writing. I stared and stared, wondering what she would look like, how she would treat me, how her lips would feel pressed to mine.

Then I thought to myself, would Audrey Hepburn put a card like that in a shop window? I walked on.

Before I retired I worked in the Kings Cross area of London. All the telephone booths there were filled with postcards advertising the usual services. One springs to mind which read "erections demolished- phone xxxxxxx". Thought that quite amusing:D:D

Does the Sport newspaper still carry all those ads at the back? Probably the closest to postcards I came up in Manchester 15 years ago. I wouldn't dream of it these days with so much information on sites like this. PunterTwit as covered on another thread is probably an internet equivalent with brief details to hook our interest.

Isn't this just AWank but using biro?

When I lived in Finsbury Park there was always a card in the local newsagents window, "Large Chest For Sale. Phone ........".

I never twigged.

Where's your way, please? Be as vague as you like as I'm just surprised they still survive.

I think at the time they were virtually the only advertising many of us knew about, there even then seemed only few areas that they were in any number.

Those locations became almost as much of a talking point (I don't actually recall how the info could possibly have been circulated) as certain sorts of massage parlour are now on the sensual massage board.

Then I thought to myself, would Audrey Hepburn put a card like that in a shop window? I walked on.

A wise choice, given my one horrific experience. On the walk home from town, I phoned a number I had held onto for a while and walked to the adress. There was what can only be described as Gollum trying to lure me into what can only be described as a 'crack-den'.

When I lived in Finsbury Park there was always a card in the local newsagents window, "Large Chest For Sale. Phone ........".

I never twigged.

I saw similar card in Chiswick (Gunersbury end) newsagent. Took me a couple of re-reads of this bright yellow postcard before I twigged... Goto say too the dimensions were impressive!!!

I have a collection of the telephone postcards, you know the ones with the sexy pictures and sketches, with the old london exchange numbers.

Around 20 years old i think ? thought i could sell them and make money some day as they are a kind of art work.

Any offers?:o

Not a card as meant here but I still remember one of the Berwick Street doorways with the card 'Tall redhead has ginger pussy for sale'. Never did find out if it was true. Ah, sixties Soho!

I still see those postcards in Newsagents windows from time to time, East London especially, though I've seen some in Hammersmith as well.

The only time I ever called a phone box card was pre-punternet, I was promised a hot blonde Australian girl who kissed passionately, just off of Tottenham Court Road. When I got there the girl was very good looking - though wearing a blue wig, bizarrely - but the kissing lasted about 10 seconds and she did her best to get me off as quickly as possible.

I lived in Bayswater in my earliy twenties towards the end of the swinging sixties and shop windows had a large selection of cards in those days. Among my favourites were:-

Former Air Hostess seeks ground position

Beautiful Butterfly needs mounting

Light building work undertaken-quick erections and demolitions guaranteed!

I remember taking a chance on the "Beautiful Butterfly" for one of my first punts with disastrous consequences as the lady in question was built on somewhat broader dimensions than one associates with butterflies :o:(

I have a collection of the telephone postcards, you know the ones with the sexy pictures and sketches, with the old london exchange numbers.

Around 20 years old i think ? thought i could sell them and make money some day as they are a kind of art work.

Any offers?:)

Wasn't there a book published in recent years treating these cards as art?

Former Air Hostess seeks ground position

Beautiful Butterfly needs mounting

Light building work undertaken-quick erections and demolitions guaranteed!

I think I'm right in saying that the humour and wit of the 'cover story' cards is now a thing of the past, and that shop-window cards are now just like phonebox cards but without the pictures. That, I suppose, is down to the collapse of the education system, and also multiculturalism - when there is a risk that one might be misunderstood, one has to stick to bald facts :)

I think I'm right in saying that the humour and wit of the 'cover story' cards is now a thing of the past, and that shop-window cards are now just like phonebox cards but without the pictures. That, I suppose, is down to the collapse of the education system, and also multiculturalism - when there is a risk that one might be misunderstood, one has to stick to bald facts :)

I suspect that another reason for the demise of the humorous ads is that, although it was obvious to any would be punter that sexual services were being advertised, the double entendre aspect of the ads just kept them on the right side of local by-laws. As we moved into more permissive times, it was no longer necessary to even attempt to display hidden meanings so the cards became more blatant but less imaginitive. Hence, eventually the messages became more full on with stuff like "Busty Brunette provides all services" or "Sexy Blonde gives full satisfaction" etc, etc.

In more recent times, I've found that the more articulate ads with an attractive hand writing style tended to lead to a better experience. The challenge was to try and read between the lines :)

I saw one at the weekend in Twickenham- the first I have seen locally for some time- it was a rather grubby card with bad hand writing in blue biro. There is no logic for it, but the state of the card made me think that the punt might turn out to be memorable for the wrong reasons.

the double entendre aspect of the ads just kept them on the right side of local by-laws

Indeed quite possible. Do by-laws even still exist? I wonder whether Brussels has abolished them..

I had an awful lot of French lessons but still can't speak French

Oh, not got the internet then down your way? :)

Seriously, I thought it was a case of shagging in different towns, and sending your mates a post card saying 'Wish you were here...?'

Indeed quite possible. Do by-laws even still exist? I wonder whether Brussels has abolished them..

Yes they do exist and my parish council adopted a comprehensive list of them about a year back.

I will never forget one in a Sheffield newsagent 40 (?) years ago.

"Lady seeking TALL BOY - must have BIG DRAWERS"

Maybe genuine , but I've always wondered.

Wasn't there a book published in recent years treating these cards as art?

Yes! It is (warmly) reviewed on the Dollymopp's blog somewhere.