Pie Eater

Punting or stuff??

16 posts in this topic

When I first started punting I'd use any spare cash to fund my new found hobby. After the novelty had started to wear off a bit, I used to think (even if it had been a decent appointment) that I could have bought such and such with that money and started to look on it as a bit of a waste.

As there always seems to be something I want, I now find it a lot harder to commit to arranging an appointment because I know that I'll still want to buy more stuff and the week after I'll want to buy even more stuff.

Does anyone else have the same problem?

I used to think like that, it always seemed wrong that i would spend x amount on punting, a sum that i would never spend on something tangible for myself. Now I'm bored with "stuff" & i spend my money selectively on punting, well i try to at least.

I tend to suffer from buyer's remorse after punts, in a similar fashion to what you describe - that's why I tend to opt for cheaper parlour punts at around £40-£60 ish to try and limit my comedown blues. Sometimes bite the bullet and go for a more expensive treat (normally Pro-Dommes at around £150), but for me that's once in a blue moon.

I suppose life's made for living, if you dwell too much on how much money you've spent in the past it can get a bit depressing! Everything in moderation I say :rolleyes:

When I first started punting I'd use any spare cash to fund my new found hobby. After the novelty had started to wear off a bit, I used to think (even if it had been a decent appointment) that I could have bought such and such with that money and started to look on it as a bit of a waste.

As there always seems to be something I want, I now find it a lot harder to commit to arranging an appointment because I know that I'll still want to buy more stuff and the week after I'll want to buy even more stuff.

Does anyone else have the same problem?

I dont. I look on punting as fun and cant put a price on that, although it is an expensive way to have fun, for me its well worth it. I never view a good punt as being a waste of money. If i did i think i would stop punting.

After 25 years i still enjoy a good punt and thats never changed. I have cut down from punting 3-4 times a week to once or twice a week in recent months though.

I dont. I look on punting as fun and cant put a price on that, although it is an expensive way to have fun, for me its well worth it. I never view a good punt as being a waste of money. If i did i think i would stop punting.

After 25 years i still enjoy a good punt and thats never changed. I have cut down from punting 3-4 times a week to once or twice a week in recent months though.

I think I phrased that badly. I shouldn't really have said waste as I consider it to be more than worth it at the time. It's more like a few days later when it's just a memory and I think "I could've bought such and such - and I'd still have it now".

I think I phrased that badly. I shouldn't really have said waste as I consider it to be more than worth it at the time. It's more like a few days later when it's just a memory and I think "I could've bought such and such - and I'd still have it now".

It's how I justify buying Paul Smith shirts. :rolleyes:

B

Spending money on a punt or some new gadget or clothing is a consideration and one for me that has to be moderated. I only have a limited amount to play with and I also have to convince my wife that I am not punting all my cash away, I get round this by buying some new tech every now and then. This lets her think I am spending my cash on these items alone. Little does she know of my other hobbie which apart from an unlimited supply of cash has to be moderated. Well all good things in small amounts and I have to say I have NEVER regretted spending my punting cash. It's a small price to pay for an amazing time with a beautiful girl:D

Cheers

AL

I never feel bad about the money I've spent on a "good" punt. Unfortunately I've had a few bad ones and it's then you consider what else you could have done with that money ! Over the past 6 months I've spent probably £400 and had 1 decent and 1 exceptional punt. For me that doesn't feel value for money. Particularly now it's ski season and I probably can't justify going :rolleyes: Still the good news is my last punt was excellent so at least I know I'll get good value when I return to see her.

On the flip side, alot of these tangibles that people are comparing to are not actually permanent if you think about it. Lets say I bought a DVD trilogy or something for £30. I watch it, then it sits on a shelf for 2-3 years. Sure, I still have it now, but what good is it doing me sat there not being watched? I end up giving it away to a friend, family member or charity shop.

Admitedly, the timescale is much longer, and the price much cheaper, but it was still money you paid for something to entertain you. I am not sure thats its a tangible item changes things too much.

And I am sure I am not the only person who has bought things and never used/played/watched/worn/read them.

In fairness though, you are loaded!

To drag out my favourite punting analogy, it is very much like going out for a really good meal - no, you don't have anything tangible (but don't most of us have too much stuff anyway?), but when it's really good, you have a great experience to look fondly back on.

I look on having the memory to look back on as an important aspect post punt, to me the memory is something tangible, to be relived in the present and future. So to me i do still have it now.

I find that punting helps me to cut back on my main problem , gambling, last sunday i was toying with the thought shall i go ahead with this pre booked £170 punt or shall i just put the cash on the first favourite at wolverhampton?

the horse lost, i didn't back it and my £170 was indirectly distributed to the thai economy. think i made the right choice, [ sorry JRC ] went over the limit ,have just posted a FR, so you can decide yourselves ..W.P.:rolleyes:

I've had similar thoughts before, but I just remind myself about the time I somehow spent £800 in a lapdancing club and that soon puts it in perspective.

I used to think the same when I started spending £50 regularly on a night out. "I could have bought a load of DVDs for that money..." But then I spent a while nae going out much. Once I got back into it, I realised it was a small price to pay for the amount of fun I had. So it's the same with punting.

Essentially, as someone already said, you can't put a price on fun.

(That's the WG's job...)

I've had similar thoughts before, but I just remind myself about the time I somehow spent £800 in a lapdancing club and that soon puts it in perspective.

Ah, not just me then :rolleyes:

We live and learn!

I pay for the fun experiance, something to remember. I got all the stuff I really want so it's just a direction for my disposable income. I think it's worth it.

I have too much stuff. I don't want more stuff litering my houses. So money spent on a good meal and a good (or bad) woman is money well spent.