Tarquin

Devote your energy to negativity

11 posts in this topic

In a closing post on another Thread "The Vicar" says "Surely when you read a site or see a photo that doesn't appeal, it is more logical to move on and find what you do like, rather than devote your energy to negativity"

Instantly I shout YES, of course. But hey, wait a minute, step back, lets take a closer look, is it more logical? I'm not so sure, isn't it a "built in quest" of a punter to seek, search out, for what's a good service at a reasonable price and shout it out to others, and yet at the same time go out of one's way to "expose" those that don't. I don't believe this forum was set up as some kind of "self appreciating society" so long live those that have the courage and conviction to stick there head up and say NO, it wasn't good enough, and give us the choice of deciding whether we will go for it or not.

Long life Negativity, it keeps us all grounded IMO.

Well, I think there's room for an argument to be made (pardon if that's seen as negative!! :rolleyes: ) for those to express their views as they see it. Just because you don't like something and have a valid reason (in "your" opinion), doesn't mean you're being negative. On the flip side it could be seen as constructive criticism :confused:

Well, I think there's room for an argument to be made (pardon if that's seen as negative!! :rolleyes: ) for those to express their views as they see it. Just because you don't like something and have a valid reason (in "your" opinion), doesn't mean you're being negative. On the flip side it could be seen as constructive criticism :confused:

Exactly my point. :D

In a closing post on another Thread "The Vicar" says "Surely when you read a site or see a photo that doesn't appeal, it is more logical to move on and find what you do like, rather than devote your energy to negativity"

Instantly I shout YES, of course. But hey, wait a minute, step back, lets take a closer look, is it more logical? I'm not so sure, isn't it a "built in quest" of a punter to seek, search out, for what's a good service at a reasonable price and shout it out to others, and yet at the same time go out of one's way to "expose" those that don't. I don't believe this forum was set up as some kind of "self appreciating society" so long live those that have the courage and conviction to stick there head up and say NO, it wasn't good enough, and give us the choice of deciding whether we will go for it or not.

Long life Negativity, it keeps us all grounded IMO.

Are you vying for most boring philosophical thread of the year award?

Are you vying for most boring philosophical thread of the year award?

I do think Tarquin makes a fair point. The forum shouldn't be about a sanitised and unreal Soviet style world of ever improving tractor production statistics :confused:

My underlying point was that while bad service should be noted and reported on (for the benefit of others), it wasn't something to dwell on ad nauseam. Having pointed out a deficiency (without resorting to abuse etc.), it should then be time, imo, to resume the search for greener pastures and pleasures new;).

I do think Tarquin makes a fair point. The forum shouldn't be about a sanitised and unreal Soviet style world of ever improving tractor production statistics :confused:

My underlying point was that while bad service should be noted and reported on (for the benefit of others), it wasn't something to dwell on ad nauseam. Having pointed out a deficiency (without resorting to abuse etc.), it should then be time, imo, to resume the search for greener pastures and pleasures new;).

Exactly. And similarly, the converse is equally true. (You could even call it anti-cheerleading, although cheerleading could be said to cut both ways any way.)

B

Instantly I shout YES, of course. But hey, wait a minute, step back, lets take a closer look, is it more logical?

I thought the Vicar's observation was made in response to one punteurs expressed outrage at a WG's use of the word 'courtesan' and the prices she quoted on her website. Basically it was a charge against her of the "How dare she hope to charge £X; or call herself anything other than a whore" variety. In the name of punters solidarity, the chap in question then 'outed' her for both misdemeanours - as a scammer / dodger. With respect to the guy in question, that seems harsh, unfair, incorrect and a more than a little screwed up.

Under the circumstances, I think that the comment about moving on from something that doesn't appeal, like this, is sound and measured advice. N'est-ce pas?

He also referred to her as a 'silly prostitute'. Now you are all entitiled to your views but when something like that is said I'm afraid I see red.

Left it too late to do the edit that contained this part:

His other comment - "The whole point of Punternet is that we can warn each other of the cons and dodges pulled by prostitutes..."

Well, that sat heavy with me so last night I collared Galahad in the chtroom and asked him to sum up 'the whole point of Punternet' in one sentence. I'm afraid I failed to save his exact sentence but it was along the lines of 'The point of Punternet is to enable service users and providers to contract mutually agreeable business more easily '. (G, I'm sorry for truncating your sentence).

That seems to me to be rather a different view to that held by Matium and others of his ilk.

Punternet is not here as a kangaroo court. It is here for our use , to discuss activities/hobby/work/preferences that we can not easily discuss in your 'normal' lives. Perhaps some people would get more from their use of the site if they bore that in mind.

Is this a way of carrying on the thread " The Vicar" closed!!!

Lets move on and upwards.

Is this a way of carrying on the thread " The Vicar" closed!!!

Lets move on and upwards.

No, it is my response to THIS thread.