ladyofthemansion

Bangkok or Phuket

52 posts in this topic

Where is the best to go on holiday? Bangkok or Phuket? Want nice beaches and cheap designer wear. Waterparks and funfairs with big rollercoasters a bonus too. Like boat trips too and seeing dolphins. I usually go for Orlando but would like to travel somewhere different. Going beginning of April.

Where is the best to go on holiday? Bangkok or Phuket? Want nice beaches and cheap designer wear. Waterparks and funfairs with big rollercoasters a bonus too. Like boat trips too and seeing dolphins. I usually go for Orlando but would like to travel somewhere different. Going beginning of April.
DO avoid the beach in Bangkok! :confused:

If you are traveling with a friend, go to Phuket or Samui, but forget about rollercoasters.:rolleyes:

DO avoid the beach in Bangkok! :confused:

If you are traveling with a friend, go to Phuket or Samui, but forget about rollercoasters.:rolleyes:

Am going with my 17 and 19 year old.

You can quite easily do both.

Bangkok is a great experience with lots to see and a shoppers paradise.

Haven't been to Phuket but I have been to Kao Lak (near to Phuket) which is very pleasant beach and coast but might be a bit quite.

Koh Samui is good and has a town Chaweng which is lively.

Don't know about rollercoasters anywhere there. Might be some in Bangkok.

Go down to ko chang to avoid the usual tourists or if you dont want to get that far go to ko samet near Rayong:)

Bangkok and Phuket are like chalk and cheese, you can't compare the two.

I agree both locations would be a good Idea, do a few days In Bkk, you can visit the Grand Palace and temples, shop till you drop, then when you've had enough of the heat and noise of the big city take a cheap flight to Phuket or Koh Samui, but It depends what time of the year, as the seasons In Thailand are hot, cool and wet.

Phuket - no question !!

I go to Karon Bay ( South West corner - where the Tsunami hit) every November.

Not for shopping but for beaches , lovely people and real jungle.

April the 13th to the 18th will include Songkran, its the Thai new year and a water festival, traditionally you would have water poured on your shoulder and dabbed with white powder.

Its developed into having water guns sprayed on you , I am not sure how many days its in Phuket it is a good event but it can get tedious after a few days.

I am sure you will enjoy Thailand it is a wonderfull country, the food is great and the people are polite.

Enjoy

Bangkok and Phuket are like chalk and cheese, you can't compare the two.

I agree both locations would be a good Idea, do a few days In Bkk, you can visit the Grand Palace and temples, shop till you drop, then when you've had enough of the heat and noise of the big city take a cheap flight to Phuket or Koh Samui, but It depends what time of the year, as the seasons In Thailand are hot, cool and wet.

My advice for a non-mongering holiday would be 3 nights in Bangkok then fly to Phuket for 11 nights ---------- Pattaya is not really suitable for women or couples, it is one massive brothel. ;)

My advice for a non-mongering holiday would be 3 nights in Bangkok then fly to Phuket for 11 nights ---------- Pattaya is not really suitable for women or couples, it is one massive brothel. ;)

Am assuming I would have to go back to Bangkok to get flight home. Would I arrange the internal flights whilst over there or before?

Am assuming I would have to go back to Bangkok to get flight home. Would I arrange the internal flights whilst over there or before?

JRC has it about right althoygh I think Bangkok could merit a day more as the heat/noise makes sightseeing 'slow.'

I don't know Phuket well but my imprsssion that some of the best beaches are dominated by big hotels from which trips out are difficult. That said I have been taken to local beaches which are relatively unspoilt. Phuket town is a dump.

I would probably book internal flights before departure if travelling with family or a group. Travelling alone I always play it by ear and book the day before. Can't comment of price advantage of local or UK booking but probably not much different

Am going with my 17 and 19 year old.

They might fancy a night out on Sukumvit - unsupervised!

There are no direct flights between Phuket and London ---- so yes, you would have to fly home from Bangkok.

Personally I would book the internal flights before you go, there are quite a few airlines that cover the Bangkok-Phuket route.

Phuket is a beautiful place....great beaches....and wonderful surroundings. You could always go to Bangkok for a few days beofre or after Phuket.

Phuket is a beautiful place....great beaches....and wonderful surroundings.

Yes, and it can also be very expensive in high season for hotels, cheaper in September but will be pissing down with rain. ;)

I can recommend Kata Beach and Kata Noi in Phuket. They are next to each other and a few miles from Karon Beach. They both have superb beaches and some good bars and restaurants. Very little in the way of sex at all but good for a family holiday.

I used to live in Phuket until the Tsunami !

Fantastic place for a holiday but a bitch of a place to live and try to earn a living.

You wouldn't want to do more than 3 days in Bangkok, though it is a place you should see at least once.

I used to live in Kamala, a quieter village just over the mountain from Patong.

Stay away from any form of funfair ride... its probably made out of bamboo

As with anywhere in Thailand, it can be either very cheap if you go to the right places or very expensive if you go to the wrong places.

Dont believe most of what you read in the guide books as it is generally wrong.

Especially the bit about Thais not liking confrontation... they are feisty little fuckers !

Try to learn a few basic Thai phrases before you go, even if you get them wrong they will appreciate the attempt :-)

Don't fill your suitcase with the usual stuff you take on holiday as the majority is cheaper to buy out there... stay away from drugs, even a spliff can get you into a whole heap of trouble or at least cost you a good few quid in a police bribe, not that there is any form of corruption out there.

I used to live in Phuket until the Tsunami !

Fantastic place for a holiday but a bitch of a place to live and try to earn a living.

You wouldn't want to do more than 3 days in Bangkok, though it is a place you should see at least once.

I used to live in Kamala, a quieter village just over the mountain from Patong.

Stay away from any form of funfair ride... its probably made out of bamboo

As with anywhere in Thailand, it can be either very cheap if you go to the right places or very expensive if you go to the wrong places.

Dont believe most of what you read in the guide books as it is generally wrong.

Especially the bit about Thais not liking confrontation... they are feisty little fuckers !

Try to learn a few basic Thai phrases before you go, even if you get them wrong they will appreciate the attempt :-)

Don't fill your suitcase with the usual stuff you take on holiday as the majority is cheaper to buy out there... stay away from drugs, even a spliff can get you into a whole heap of trouble or at least cost you a good few quid in a police bribe, not that there is any form of corruption out there.

Well said! There speaks a man of experience, who has learned from it. I don't go to Phuket anymore but I've followed its rise and than partial decline (in my eyes, at least) over the past 25 years, but if I were booking a family holiday, a number of the 'newer' beaches could be very interesting.:)

Well said! There speaks a man of experience

or woman :confused:

When you stay in Phuket, don't stay in Patpong, that is the mongerers area.

[]

Patong not Patpong I think.

Again two late teenagers might like Patong - they know more than their mother would like to think!

i have just returned from Thailand did 4 night in bangkok ( i now know why ping pong is called that in little britain ):confused: 9 night in pattaya near the famous walking st and 12 night in phuket

had a brilliant time only got back 2 days ago flew with thai air

hotels were fabulous probably some of the best i have ever stayed in weather was absolutly perfect around 33 degrees every day not a single bit of rain ( apart from a 30min shower in bangkok )

I prefered Pattaya to phuket mainly cos its more sleazier more night life lots of bars and stuff to do the beach is nice although narrow

Phuket although is much prettier with gorgeous long beach in Patong area is in my opinion more geared up to couples although there are all the bars and closed off area bangla rd i think its called and it was very busy

also did a 2 night stay to pi pi island which was really nice

the trip to where they filmed the Beach was a waste of time cos although its gorgeous there are way to many daytrippers there and loads of boats honestly it was like being at fucking brighton sea front but the water was amazing and much clearer :D

I stayed at the http://www.majesticgrande.com/ bangkok which is a great location near the skytrain and nama plaza where there are lots of bar ect within 2 mins and only about 15 mins to the famous night market which is brill so much going on never got bored one bit for

in pattaya i stayed at the http://www.amari.com/orchid/ which was totally amazing i had a room on the 16thfloor of the ocean tower hotel is opposite the beach and 20 min easy walk or 5 drive to walking st

in phuket i stayed at the http://www.diamondcliff.com/ in a junior suite

this hotel is really nice as its got a 3 fab pools one of them is on the beach and then its only 20 mins walk to bangla rd and litteraly 2 mins to the beach

I found phuket to be more expensive overall ie in Pattaya you had the little buses which for10 - 20 bt you could get on anywhere and get off anywhere along the strip and 2 sunlounger and parosol ect were 60 bt

if your going with teenagers i would reccomend patong beach area as there is so much to do and they wont be bored lots and lots of bars resturants clubs ect

In phuket the same trip on a tuck tuck was 200bt around 4 quid for a drive along the strip no matter where you got on or off and sunlounger on the beach were 200bt ok its still cheap but a big difference if your on a budget

kata beach and karon beach is also really gorgeous

cos i hate barting and feel ripped off when they start at high prices ie 700 bt for a pair of fake glasses and come down to 200bt i simply started offering 200 bt for virtually everthing and got some good fake sunglasses t-shirts ect

Best thing though was in the ping pong bars as i call em in the night market in bangkok

we went in it was 100 for beer so we bought 3 then the hostess came over with the bill it was for 1200 bt approx 24uk pounds

me what the fuck i asked 3 singa beer 24 pounds no way

ping pong its 300 for the beer and 900 for the entertainment

me what entertainment it hasnt even started yet , im not paying that( entertainment was some girls dancing on the bars as far as i coudl see)

pingpong yes yes you must entertainment is 900

me know fucking way im givung you 300 for the beers and im leaving ( this carried on for at least five minutes)

pingpong now giving up on me ok its 900 for the beer and 300 for the entertainment

me ( i wont say what i said but i ping ponged out of there

, and dont get caught as i did at the grand palace i am still mad now about it as i read about the scam in the morning

you get here and someone tells you that its closed for praying /you dont have the right clothes on ect ect

why dont you go with my friend on his tuck tuck see some nice free palaces and then come back

ok i should have known better but anyway i fell for it after one free palace it was off to the tailors

[I]tuck fuck driver please go in have a look

medont want to

tuck fuck driver you must you must

me no i dont want a suit

tuck fuck driver go in i wont get my petrol token or whatever it was

me fuck off by now thouroughly pissed off at my wasted day

but more so that i read about this scam only the same day

didnt get to see the grand palace after all other scams to watch out for is the jet ski scam just google jet ski scam pattay /phuket can be very expensive if you get caught by this

but apart from this which looking back at it was pretty funny and stupid as well but i had a brill time and would def go back again

I prefered Pattaya to phuket mainly cos its more sleazier more night life lots of bars and stuff to do the beach is nice although narrow

Your kidding Pattaya Beach is little more than an open rubbish dump/sewer.:D

Koh Lahn a 20 baht ferry ride away is much nicer.

Yes the other stuff you got scammed on but you live and learn but you should learn to barter before you go have you not seen Omid Djalili in that TV ad? 200 baht for sunglasses is still twice the price. :D

A little research goes a long way for ordinary tourists as well as "mongers" Patpong rip off's are well known and your lucky you got out of there without a beating. Shame you missed the Grand Palace if you go back it's worth booking a proper tour through your hotel tour desk as the guide can give you much more insight than you would gain on your own.

Glad you had fun all told though :confused:

Again two late teenagers might like Patong - they know more than their mother would like to think![/quote

Perhaps my 19 year old son is lying when he says he wants to visit Amsterdam for the purpose of seeing Anne Frank's house?

Again two late teenagers might like Patong - they know more than their mother would like to think![/quote

Perhaps my 19 year old son is lying when he says he wants to visit Amsterdam for the purpose of seeing Anne Frank's house?

Well I think your 19 yr old will like Thailand, he will no doubt be fighting the girls off, the poor lad lol. :confused: