johnbean

Band of gold

17 posts in this topic

Did anybody else watch this television series ('90s I think)?

I awaited every episode with baited breath and was fascinated from the off, this also invited me into the world of punting.

If you did see it, what did you think?

Yes... I used to watch it. Some of it was quite amusing and made me laugh.

To be honest, if I wasn't already a punter, I think that it would have put me off big time.

I used to watch it - loved it.

Very seedy yet quite warm and inviting - strange one that. That's probably why I liked it.

The episode with the hot candle wax still haunts me.

Did anybody else watch this television series ('90s I think)?

I awaited every episode with baited breath and was fascinated from the off, this also invited me into the world of punting.

If you did see it, what did you think?

It was far more down to earth than anything made since. The actresses made the characters believable and as CN says, endearing in some ways.

It was also quite daring to tackle the subject of street girls and far more realistic.

I still giggle when I don a pair of Marigolds :D

One of the best series I ever watched. I was the same waited each week for it. I can still fill his pain as she poured the boiling water from the kettle over his privates.

Little did I know then the profession I would take up as an adult. :D

A few weeks ago LOTM started a thread complaining that a punter had done a no. 2 in her toilet.

When I read her post it did remind of when Carol ( Cathy Tyson) was shouting at a punter for daring to use her toilet. If you remember she was a compulsive cleaner and went through a couple of gallons of bleach a week.

I am amazed that the guy who had boiling hot water poured over his dick managed to use it again.

It is sad that Carol didn't end up with that copper as well.

I am amazed that the guy who had boiling hot water poured over his dick managed to use it again.

Why did he want to use it again ? He should have just boiled some more. :D

I worked in the Manningham area of Bradford where it was filmed, it drove away many a few good ladies who used to work there...and though it was tolerated in many of the pubs in the main street where you could buy drugs and get a drink at any time of the day, after it went out on air, residents groups were formed to clean up the area.

You can still get a drink at any time of the day, and drugs are openly sold, but the street walkers were pushed out, and went to seedier area's.

Im not in favour of streetwalker prostitutes, but the programne caused nothing but trouble for the ladies who used to work there, they had to go further underground.

Im not in favour of streetwalker prostitutes, but the programne caused nothing but trouble for the ladies who used to work there, they had to go further underground.

I am shocked that the programme had such impact on the area and was completely unaware. It is such a shame the girls have been ousted although Street walkers are not my particular cup of tea, I would never want to make anybodies lifestyle harder.

This also shows me how a LOT of people are ignorant of prostitution; the girls are stigmatised yet other unsocial habits carry on without interuption.

Liked it at the time.

Saw it later in DVD and thought it wa load of shite.

Particularly hated Geraldine James trying to act working class. Thought she was dreadful.

As I've also said before it was full of cliches and stereotypes.

I worked in the Manningham area of Bradford where it was filmed, it drove away many a few good ladies who used to work there...and though it was tolerated in many of the pubs in the main street where you could buy drugs and get a drink at any time of the day, after it went out on air, residents groups were formed to clean up the area.

You can still get a drink at any time of the day, and drugs are openly sold, but the street walkers were pushed out, and went to seedier area's.

I enjoyed it, especially the first series, it was before I ever punted. I worked in West Yorkshire in the late 90's and our head office was on Sunbridge Road which had become the RLD. It was mainly industrial units and the girls worked the corners and side streets around them. They were mostly pretty rough and desperate looking, not exactly attractive, one felt more pity than desire for them.

A lot of it was filmed about the Lumb Lane area, where the main working ladies used to patrol, and the pubs on the street.

I did at one point think it was doing some good, as my work made me come into contact with quite a few of the real working ladies, and it got some folk talking about how vunerable they were, sadly it also brought the cruel element of the Yorkshire ripper to the fore, as it was about the same time, and you have to wonder how much further we do drive those who are society drop outs.

I loved band of gold, I thought it was funny when that punter had a fixation for marigolds and cleaning :confused:

I've seen it, not long after I moved to Uk, and then repeats on the one of the Sky channels. (when my understanding of English was slightly better)

Cathy Tyson who played Carol, and also played another prostitute in the drama "Mona Lisa" which I've seen before Band of Gold. She was offered another role of the prostitute (don't remember which drama sometime in 1998-2000) but refused it, probably because she did not wanted to be typecasted. She is a brilliant actress, but I have not seen her in any major roles since. :confused:

Cathy Tyson has also appeared and creditied in the films, "The Priest," and "The Serpant and the rainbow"....from the late 90's and the beginning of 2000's.

A search on google will bring up her work.