Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LongJohnThomas

I am a one in ten... A number on a list

11 posts in this topic

Headline read over someone's shoulder on the train home tonight: "One in ten men have been with a prostitute"... Kinda got me thinking about all you lot in here :)

The number sounds a bit low though... Perhaps we should have a whip-round and buy an Ad in the Evening Standard promoting the joys of Punternet?

I wouldnt worry about it it really. It sounds a bit like one of those surveys that Harriet Harmen would come up with. Or possibly Family Fortunes...

Varying percentages have been quoted from time to time- one of the 'lad mags' suggested one in four. Wasn't there a song by UB40 with the line 'I am a one in ten'?

... These 'surveys' are made up 99% of the time. I was in journalism at one point and we did manufacture data for stories :eek: .

More seriously, real surveys are expensive and news budget are low :D. There is no way that an editor would foot the bill, especially when there is no obvious source of advertising to put next to such a story :D

I thinki it's more like (over a lifetime) nine in ten..

what's the big deal. no-one gets hurt, so one in ten, nine in ten? I don't think the guys who have never experienced a WG know what they are missing. Yeah we all make mistakes with choice - I know I have, but that's it - game over. Made many more good selections than bad and had some great times!

Like I say - the rest don't know what they are missing!

... Wasn't there a song by UB40 with the line 'I am a one in ten'?

Yes, but it referred to unemployment statistics at the time. :D

"One in ten men have been with a prostitute"

Does this mean the same prostitute :D

She's been a busy girl then :o

These 'surveys' are made up 99% of the time. I was in journalism at one point and we did manufacture data for stories :D

Maybe not though when they quote a source, because I can't imagine an editor running the risk of people not being able to track down that source. It would create a major scandal (think Piers Morgan).

Yes it's true. UB40 even wrote a song about it.