olivia

MacHelp!

17 posts in this topic

I came back from holiday tonight and the screen on my 2week old Macbook looks like it cracked, it was stored in laptopbag but must have got knocked in transit. Any ideas to get it replaced at a non extortionate price.. I am back in Northampton now and wont be in London til wednesday so if you have any local info I would be very greatful. I am gutted about this. :)

Usually it won't be worth the price, unless it is nearly brand new.

Welcome back Olivia xxx

These macbooks are suppose to be sturdy yet I read that they have a tendency to crack... I was going to customise mine but apparently the cover can crack the mac too!

With regards to the problem... you got mail :D

(i promise its not smutty... well not this time) :)

Edited by Indian-Delight
typo!

I came back from holiday tonight and the screen on my 2week old Macbook looks like it cracked, it was stored in laptopbag but must have got knocked in transit. Any ideas to get it replaced at a non extortionate price.. I am back in Northampton now and wont be in London til wednesday so if you have any local info I would be very greatful. I am gutted about this. :D

If you bought it using a credit card then they normally offer 100 days free insurance against loss, damage or theft. My wife recently had her handbag stolen and there was a 3 grand diamond bracelet in there. Luckily we bought it using a credit card and they offered us the full 3 grand back straight away. Not bad eh? :)

Do it yourself:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/

(Might be worth looking on eBay for a compatible screen.)

B

You don't happen to know of a site that offers ths same info for PCs and other gadgets do you?

Note To Olivia: ClarenceNightingale's suggestion is a good one - but credit card companies sometimes try to weasel out of claims against - just do;t give up at the first hurdle

K

You don't happen to know of a site that offers ths same info for PCs and other gadgets do you?

No, but Google might. :D

For example, I found info on stripping my LG Viewty when I needed to replace the touchscreen.

(It's why I like ThinkPads: the Hardware Maintenance Manuals tell you how to strip and rebuild, plus they're designed to be stripped and rebuilt in the field.)

You are having a laugh aren't you? I will leave it to the professionals.

I wasn't, actually. With the right tools, patience and a resource like iFixit, there's no reason why anyone couldn't undertake service and repair. Besides, you'll prolly have better luck finding hen's teeth than professionals to service your Mac... at least at a reasonable cost. (It's why I got three years on site maintenance with accidental damage cover with my TP. :))

B

Is it you that rides some 1300 cc beast, Olivia? If you can find your way around the innards of a superbike then I heartily endorse bacchus's iFixit suggestion.

Is it you that rides some 1300 cc beast, Olivia? If you can find your way around the innards of a superbike then I heartily endorse bacchus's iFixit suggestion.

LOL no it is not I.. I've found someone to fix it with a courier service thrown in. :)

Olivia, as a fellow Mac user, I sympathise. In the past I too had one of the white iBooks, and to be honest they are not durable for travelling, regardless of the padding around them. It's made of low-impact plastic - slipped out of my hand on a carpet once and it cracked a corner. They look nice, tho.

The macs in the metal cases, similar to what I use now are superb. Dropped this one several times and it's fine - as were the old black G3s.

Think you better sit down and read this link - it's not good reading...

http://www.thebookyard.com/product.php?cPath=116_38&products_id=1907

What about your contents insurance?

Olivia, as a fellow Mac user, I sympathise. In the past I too had one of the white iBooks, and to be honest they are not durable for travelling, regardless of the padding around them. It's made of low-impact plastic - slipped out of my hand on a carpet once and it cracked a corner. They look nice, tho.

The macs in the metal cases, similar to what I use now are superb. Dropped this one several times and it's fine - as were the old black G3s.

Think you better sit down and read this link - it's not good reading...

http://www.thebookyard.com/product.php?cPath=116_38&products_id=1907

What about your contents insurance?

Thanks Taggart... oh er... I've heard a few horror stories meself..I have to pay excess on my insurance, the link I found in previous post will do replacement with courier service for £150 which is good I reckon xx

(It's why I like ThinkPads: the Hardware Maintenance Manuals tell you how to strip and rebuild, plus they're designed to be stripped and rebuilt in the field.)

With most 'normal' laptops it is relatively easy to change the screen - often easier & less fiddlier to just change the entire lid assembly. However from the few Mac I have had in it look like Apple use odd tools and it's not just a case of undoing all the screws you can see until it falls apart then putting it all back together again. :D

the link I found in previous post will do replacement with courier service for £150 which is good I reckon xx

That is blindingly good value and service, I have made a note of those guys. :confused:

I came back from holiday tonight and the screen on my 2week old Macbook looks like it cracked, it was stored in laptopbag but must have got knocked in transit. Any ideas to get it replaced at a non extortionate price.. I am back in Northampton now and wont be in London til wednesday so if you have any local info I would be very greatful. I am gutted about this. :confused:

How about claiming on your travel insurance?

How about claiming on your travel insurance?

It only covers loss or theft not damage as far as I can see..

Thanks Taggart... oh er... I've heard a few horror stories meself..I have to pay excess on my insurance, the link I found in previous post will do replacement with courier service for £150 which is good I reckon xx

Looks like you sorted Olivia - a bit late maybe but check out www.techno-mart.co.uk at Whealdstone - Harrow HA3 5DX - ph 020 8863 2225 - Good service last two times I used them.

I had a similar Toshiba Portage R300 stolen in Milan in 2008 and the replacement R500 has lighter pastic outer case. But travelling 2,000 miles in rucksack on bike its ok in a Mailite bubblewrap bag and survived a few knocks.