WykeTyke

Scotland Public Inquiry into trafficking

11 posts in this topic

An inquiry is to begin to discover how many victims of human trafficking there are in Scotland.

The investigation, launched by the Equality and Human Rights Commission Scotland (EHRC) will be chaired by Baroness Helena Kennedy QC.

BBC News reports Investigation into human trafficking in Scotland

Hopefully a QC should be impartial, independent minded and not fall foul of the previous bias this subject has encountered. If it this inquiry doesn't fall foul of the bias it can only help and it would be useful if they could be helped to understand the flaws in the Eaves/Poppy methodology.

An good independent inquiry and fair result can only improve things by overriding the distorted/biased figures as the default quote in the media.

Helena Kennedy QC

Formal Inquiry opened into Human Trafficking in Scotland

I am heartened that Helena Kennedy is dealing with this. I have huge respect for her integrity and intelligence; lets hope she can cut through the radfem bollox and get somewhere near the truth.

I am heartened that Helena Kennedy is dealing with this. I have huge respect for her integrity and intelligence; lets hope she can cut through the radfem bollox and get somewhere near the truth

Agreed, though I don't know how well-versed she is in statistics.. maybe she should have a qualified assistant.

I have huge respect for her integrity and intelligence; lets hope she can cut through the radfem bollox and get somewhere near the truth.

Intelligence most certainly she has by the truck load, but I'm not entirely there on integrity - she is a barrister, not a solicitor! One of my erst-while colleagues had her defending against him a while ago, and found her to be totally partial to her client's interests, and averse to any suggestion of justice (but then that is what one hopes for in one's own high paid help!)

Intelligence most certainly she has by the truck load, but I'm not entirely there on integrity - she is a barrister, not a solicitor!

I thought barristers were the ones who had to tell the court if any information had come their way which would defeat their own client's defence? Hence 'bent briefs' all being solicitors. That was definitely what I was told at school, maybe it's changed..

Intelligence most certainly she has by the truck load, but I'm not entirely there on integrity - she is a barrister, not a solicitor! One of my erst-while colleagues had her defending against him a while ago, and found her to be totally partial to her client's interests, and averse to any suggestion of justice (but then that is what one hopes for in one's own high paid help!)

Lol, yes, sounds like she was doing her job. :D

I was very impressed with her book "Just Law" and tbh that's mostly where my opinion comes from. I hope she does a good job...

Very welcome - may help shatter some preconceptions if conducted properly but will not be easy to do that

I certainly would hope a barrister was partial to my interests, if I was paying him for his services.

I wonder whether the noble Lady will investigate "trafficking" as defined in the English Sexual Offences Act 2003, or in the Criminal Justice (Scotland) Act 2003, s.22 which, as I read it, does not make an offence of booking a taxi to take a travelling parlour girl on to the next point on her tour, within the UK?

BTW - the Scottish Parly's Equal Opportunities Commission was clearly pretty miffed that the representative of the Equal Rights Commission, which has established the Helena Kennedy inquiry, hadn't had the courtesy to mention it, while in Scotland with our Committee looking at women in the criminal justice system!

Good news! I, too, regard Helena Kennedy as a level-headed woman of integrity; we should get some interesting results!

It seems a bit odd that there is to be an inquiry into how many victims there are of human trafficking in Scotland without some form of up to date survey of the indoor market being undertaken either before or during it. Maybe a comprehensive survey will be one of the recommendations of the inquiry.

One of the main reasons for Pentameter 2 was to identify the extent of the trafficking problem. According to an article in 2008, over 50 premises (presumably targeted) including 43 residences and 11 massage parlours were visited in Scotland. 59 potential victims were identified, of which 15 may have been trafficked for sexual exploitation. I am not aware if these figures have been subsequently revised. No doubt a Pentameter 3 exercise is inevitable. So why not a Pentameter 3 exercise focusing only on trafficking but covering all massage parlours in Scotland. This would surely give a very sound foundation to the inquiry. It wouldn't cover the whole market but it should be a significant part.