Caitlin

Attention Gmail users

9 posts in this topic

I don't use gmail, and I don't "social network", so maybe this isn't as scarey as I think it is. I'm also not techy enough to work it out, so I apologise if this should be off-topic. But I know lots of people use gmail for, er, privacy reasons... :)

This caught me out. Don't use gmail for my hobby communique but do for real life.

Not sure about my work colleagues seeing my geeky flickr, youtube & twitter stuff. Just kind of turns on by default. I'll have a look later and try and re-cloak.

Grrr

Thanks for this topic - I seemed to have got Buzz yesterday but as I don't do facebook, twitter or any of that stuff I wasn't too bothered, then I read more about picasa and went eek - so I did some homework and have managed to switch it off...

Google Mail view: standard | turn off chat | turn on buzz | older version | basic HTML Learn more

At the bottom of the Gmail, Googlemail screen you'll see the above line of links, click the buzz one

Can't claim the credit, I didn't spot it (they made the buttons really small), I just saw some 'how to' thing online :)

Is gmail the same as googlemail?

Same thing Harfs. Someone in the UK owned the gmail name in the UK so it's known as googlemail over here. Early adopters got gmail addresses tho.

This is interesting. I'm no techie either, but when I opened my Gmail today I got a huge ad inviting me to 'take a look' at Buzz. I'm quite glad now that I clicked the far smaller button to bypass it and go to my mailbox.

Same thing Harfs. Someone in the UK owned the gmail name in the UK so it's known as googlemail over here. Early adopters got gmail addresses tho.

Interestingly, you can actually use gmail.com in place of googlemail.com without problem.

In fact, you have to use gmail.com when adding access for someone with an googlemail.com account to a Google Analytics account as it doesn't recognise the latter. :)

B

You can switch it off. Just scroll down the page and you'll see "Switch off buzz" in wee writing.