wanderlust

HPV vaccine- even if over 26?

7 posts in this topic

It's a bit technical, but this press release indicates that the HPV (cervical cancer) vaccine, which was originally validated in girls and women up to the age of 26 may also be protective in women aged from 24 to 45, assuming that they have not already been infected with the corresponding virus type. Apparently also protects agains the virus's ability to cause anal cancer in gay men.

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/home/permalink/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20100217005885&newsLang=en

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703444804575071101641923066.html?mod=WSJ_business_IndustryNews_DHC

Would be interesting if they did start offering it to more women, but somehow I doubt they will. Probably only if you pay. That is how you used to get tested for the virus, £250 back in the day.

Did not know it was linked to anal cancer, men were only carriers. But then I have not read up about it for so long.

It is great that they are vaccinating girls following Jade Goody's death it has brought it to the media attention that young girls can die as well. The trouble is most doctors know say when you are 21. I was told at 14 that smears should start when you start periods and start having sex. Fortunately as I have trouble with my ovaries I have more tests done than others but would be interested to talk to them about the vaccine next week, I will ask and let you know what they say on the NHS.

A friend of mine at age 21 had to be sterilised as turned cancerous, kept going to the GP asking for a smear, fortunately already had a child, complained about all the classic symptoms and kept getting turned away, kept going back to the GP saw a locum who took one look and said go to A&E.

People need to be more aware of changes in their body and catch things before they progress.

It is great that they are vaccinating girls following Jade Goody's death it has brought it to the media attention that young girls can die as well. The trouble is most doctors know say when you are 21. I was told at 14 that smears should start when you start periods and start having sex. Fortunately as I have trouble with my ovaries I have more tests done than others but would be interested to talk to them about the vaccine next week, I will ask and let you know what they say on the NHS.

The simplest strategy is to vaccinate girls before they start having sex and so before any risk of infection---- which is what the NHS policy now is.

Vaccinating adults is harder since the vaccine will only certainly work against those HPV types that the woman hasn't already been infected with. So, strictly, the clinic should work out (by costly testing) which ones she already has been infected with to ascertain whether the vaccine will give any protection.....

Guess the NHS will presently tell you that the vaccine is only licensed for women up to 26 and that the trials mentioned in the press release still have to be reviewed by the regulator etc etc........... but will be interested to hear.

The simplest strategy is to vaccinate girls before they start having sex and so before any risk of infection---- which is what the NHS policy now is.

Vaccinating adults is harder since the vaccine will only certainly work against those HPV types that the woman hasn't already been infected with. So, strictly, the clinic should work out (by costly testing) which ones she already has been infected with to ascertain whether the vaccine will give any protection.....

Guess the NHS will presently tell you that the vaccine is only licensed for women up to 26 and that the trials mentioned in the press release still have to be reviewed by the regulator etc etc........... but will be interested to hear.

The trouble is the age they are vaccinating them at is not LOW enough. Underage sex happens so they need to be caught at secondary school age when they start to question sex more.

The trouble is the age they are vaccinating them at is not LOW enough. Underage sex happens so they need to be caught at secondary school age when they start to question sex more.

The intention is to vaccinate at age 12-13. Older girls are being vaccinated at present only as a ''catch-up' programme cos they weren't vaccinated when they were 12-13. http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/HPV-vaccination/Pages/Introduction.aspx Are you saying it should be earlier than 12-13?

What is more dubious is that the NHS is using the Glaxo vaccine (Cervarix) that protects against the 2 HPV types responsible for most cervical cancer and not the more expensive Merck vaccine (Gardasil) that also protects against genital warts. http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/article4166423.ece

What is more dubious is that the NHS is using the Glaxo vaccine (Cervarix) that protects against the 2 HPV types responsible for most cervical cancer and not the more expensive Merck vaccine (Gardasil) that also protects against genital warts. http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/article4166423.ece

Gardasil is available privately - £150 for each of the 3 jabs + £85 to get tested to see if you have the virus already.

Given that they've said it's most effective up to 26 I think they should have at least done that.

Given that they've said it's most effective up to 26 I think they should have at least done that.

I don't think it's that they are 'more effective up to 26'. Rather it is that they are believed only to be effective if you haven't already been infected with the particular HPV type. And the probabilityof having been infected increased with age and number of previous partners. Hence the logic of 'catch them young.'