profman

Firefox updates

24 posts in this topic

I have been offered an update to Firefox 3.5.8 which I am told addresses issues of security and stability. When I checked what these issues are, I was just left mystified, but I did learn that the previous version of FF did not address security issues, yet I downloaded it because I was told it was an improvement! How dangerous is it if I don't keep updating? I assume you techies don't always take these things on trust, but we non-techies have to.

I upgraded to version 3.6 and it doesn't look or feel any different. It may close some security loopholes to be one jump ahead of the hackers.

What I did find was that version 3.6 quite often stalls or stops working with the word "stopped" appearing at the bottom left of the status bar. Sometimes it will restart by reloading the page, other times you have to use task manager to stop the program and then re-start it. I never seemed to have these problems with versions 3.5.x.

Reading various Firefox forums it seems that the problem is associated with older hardware - particularly the processor. If your computer is newer than 3 / 4 years you should be ok. If it's older than that you might have the same problems.

i believe in the old saying-IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT OR TRY TO- therefore i never myself download so called updates etc whilst my firefox is working fine

I've been using the 3.5.8 update and not had any problems ( although, just updated to 3.6 )

Personally, I tend to take the Firefox updates as there has been an increase in websites taking advantage of security holes in browsers to infect with some quite nasty trojans. The same goes for Adobe's Flash plugin ( become a favourite for virus writers, due to it being so ubiquitous .. and buggy! ).

However, Windows Updates are a totally different matter ...

Have noticed no problems with the new version although equipment probably in the old age bracket.

But I do dislike the intrusive invitations to update themes etc. rather than actual new Firefox versions.

I rather hoped Firefox would be more user-courteous but while easily skipped, I would rather opt out of them - possible?

Have noticed no problems with the new version although equipment probably in the old age bracket.

But I do dislike the intrusive invitations to update themes etc. rather than actual new Firefox versions.

I rather hoped Firefox would be more user-courteous but while easily skipped, I would rather opt out of them - possible?

Yes it is... Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> Update tab then select what you want to be notified about.

B

Yes it is... Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> Update tab then select what you want to be notified about.

B

Thanks!!!!!!!!

Now look, my double glazing is draughty, can you ... :D

You need to upgrade your windows, vivlovesme

:rolleyes:

It's just that Bacchus knows so very much...

Am I not on your spellcheck by the way, Uncle? :confused:

i believe in the old saying-IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT OR TRY TO- therefore i never myself download so called updates etc whilst my firefox is working fine

Thats a fact and one that others should take heed of.I'm actually "ok jack" with the latest version of Firefox, but wth some programs that Ive all too willinglyclick yes to an upgrade have resulted in me having to search for an older version to regain my sanity.

Thats a fact and one that others should take heed of.I'm actually "ok jack" with the latest version of Firefox, but wth some programs that Ive all too willinglyclick yes to an upgrade have resulted in me having to search for an older version to regain my sanity.

Browsers like Firefox are often updated to maintain security. For example, a zero day exploit has recently been discovered for that latest, shiny new version of Firefox:

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1592952/zero-day-flaw-firefox

Go figure... especially if using versions <3.6.

B

Browsers like Firefox are often updated to maintain security. For example, a zero day exploit has recently been discovered for that latest, shiny new version of Firefox:

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1592952/zero-day-flaw-firefox

Go figure... especially if using versions <3.6.

B

Oh come on, I was taliking about in terms of web browsing, ease of use, response time etc, not security threats. As long as one takes reasonable action as to passwords, uses ones sense as to what emails they open, ignores links to so called accounts you hold then you are imo pretty much safe. Firefox outshines IE hands down IMO.

Oh come on, I was taliking about in terms of web browsing, ease of use, response time etc, not security threats. As long as one takes reasonable action as to passwords, uses ones sense as to what emails they open, ignores links to so called accounts you hold then you are imo pretty much safe. Firefox outshines IE hands down IMO.

Actually my post was more in response to 0691guyshospital's comment about if it ain't broke etc. Maybe I should've quoted their post rather than yours.

However, Firefox is widely criticised for being considerably slower than Chrome (and indeed Opera) when dealing with Javascript. A lot of work is at least claimed to be being done to speed it up and each iteration of the browser is allegedly quicker. TBH, I've not noticed, but that could be because I use a relatively high spec machine (Core 2 Duo 2.13GHz, 4GB RAM, 128SSD etc).

I also recall reading that IE8 is actually more secure than Firefox. Like you, however, I take reasonable precautions and so hopefully wouldn't fall prey to those weaknesses and therefore happily continue to use Firefox. The kind of exploit referred to in the above link could, of course, catch even the most cautious person out. :confused:

B

Actually my post was more in response to 0691guyshospital's comment about if it ain't broke etc. Maybe I should've quoted their post rather than yours.

However, Firefox is widely criticised for being considerably slower than Chrome (and indeed Opera) when dealing with Javascript. A lot of work is at least claimed to be being done to speed it up and each iteration of the browser is allegedly quicker. TBH, I've not noticed, but that could be because I use a relatively high spec machine (Core 2 Duo 2.13GHz, 4GB RAM, 128SSD etc).

I also recall reading that IE8 is actually more secure than Firefox. Like you, however, I take reasonable precautions and so hopefully wouldn't fall prey to those weaknesses and therefore happily continue to use Firefox. The kind of exploit referred to in the above link could, of course, catch even the most cautious person out. :confused:

B

Indeed, I have also installed Opera, very inpressive at first glance but haven't had the urge to set it as my default browser.

Indeed, I have also installed Opera, very inpressive at first glance but haven't had the urge to set it as my default browser.

This is a good resource to explore what Opera has to offer:

http://my.opera.com/Tamil/blog/

I'd be more inclined to switch if Opera used the same keyboard shortcuts as Firefox (you can change them in Opera but I'm too lazy I suppose).

B

Sorry about that, vivlubsme ;)

Getting there uncle, but it's not a hen...

I found Firefox getting a bit slow on my old PC so I tried Safari and was very happy with it. Now I have a Mac I use Safari all the time.

I found Firefox getting a bit slow on my old PC so I tried Safari and was very happy with it. Now I have a Mac I use Safari all the time.

Based on the same WebKit engine as Google Chrome. ;)

B

And there was me happy as a lark with my windows 7 and firefox, then as you do, start "playing around", well actually I was trying to transfer files from one pc to this one. And bingo, Firefox wont work! uninstalled/installed 3 times with no luck, any ideas? I get this Message

"Could not initialise the application's security component. The most probable cause is problems with files in your browser's profile directory. Please check that this directory has no read/write restrictions and your hard drive is not full or close to full. It is recommended that you exit the browser and fix the problem. If you continue to use this browser session, you might see incorrect browser behaviour when accessing security features."

:rolleyes:

You could try deleting the existing profile by running Firefox with the -p switch as follows:

"C:Program Files (x86)Mozilla Firefoxfirefox.exe" -p

You may want to back up your bookmarks first, which will be in a profile folder located in the following folder:

C:Users%USERNAME%AppDataRoamingMozillaFirefoxProfiles

(%USERNAME% is an environmental variable for the current user.)

B

You could try deleting the existing profile by running Firefox with the -p switch as follows:

"C:Program Files (x86)Mozilla Firefoxfirefox.exe" -p

You may want to back up your bookmarks first, which will be in a profile folder located in the following folder:

C:Users%USERNAME%AppDataRoamingMozillaFirefoxProfiles

(%USERNAME% is an environmental variable for the current user.)

B

Thanks, I must have done something like that, coz its working kind of as it was, but I did lose my bookmarks! :confused:

Thanks, I must have done something like that, coz its working kind of as it was, but I did lose my bookmarks! :confused:

Take a look in the profiles folder to see if there are multiple sub folders i.e. one for each profile (or search for bookmarks.html therein)... you may just be lucky. :mad:

B