Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
psisam

NO Election so it could become law

38 posts in this topic

PM rules out 2009 election

A General Election 'the last thing on my mind' says PM

Gordon Brown said that it was too early to judge the success of his £37 billion bank bail-out - and insisted he had "no plans" to call a General Election this year.

The Government is preparing a fresh bid to push the banks into resuming lending amid figures showing mortgage lending slumping to a new low. Mr Brown played down suggestions that it could include another injection of public cash into financial institutions and urged voters to judge his policies by long-term effects.

Speaking on BBC One's Andrew Marr Show, he also accused the Conservatives of "almost revelling in things going wrong" with the economy.

Asked if the bail-out had failed, he said: "I do not think you can judge the success of recapitalisation by what happened in one month; you have got to judge it as a necessary means by which, by saving the banks - and saving is the right word - we restore the ability to fund businesses and mortgages.

i wasnt listening. i was trying to work out if he was wearing a rug or had a combover.

Gordon Brown said that it was too early to judge the success of his £37 billion bank bail-out - and insisted he had "no plans" to call a General Election this year.

An election is always the last thing on their mind until the day they call it.

If it looks like Spring 2009 will offer a better chance than 2010 they'll call it for sure.

get used to the idea that it will become law.

so stop bleating and either or both

write to MPs etc to do your bit towards this injustice

and plan your final months of punting.

ONCE MORE IT SEEMS NECESSARY TO SAY THAT PAID SEX HAS BEEN AROUND SINCE TIME BEGAN AND NO GOVERNMENT HAS MANAGED TO STOP IT YET. ONCE AGAIN YOU ARE SOMEONE SUGGESTING THAT THIS SET OF JOKERS WILL BE ABLE TO DO WHAT HAS NEVER BEEN DONE BEFORE IN THE HISTORY OF THE ENTIRE WORLD!

REST ASSURED PAID SEX IN ONE FORM OR ANOTHER WILL STILL BE AROUND LONG, LONG AFTER YOU, ME, JACQUI SMITH, HARRIET HARMAN, UNCLE TOM COBLEY AND ALL WILL NO LONGER BE IN A POSITION TO CARE. FURTHERMORE, MS SMITH AND MS HARMAN WILL NOT EVEN BE A FOOTNOTE IN HISTORY.

Sorry for the caps, but it seems I just cannot get people to understand this which I have now posted at least half a dozen times.

Plan my final months of punting indeed!

I will be the one to decide when I stop punting, not some worthless politician!

And what's the point in writing to any MP of any party? They're not going to defend paid sex are they?

Even though half of them have probably indulged themselves.:D

And the only thing I'm harming is my own bank balance :confused:

Sometimes I think people like you are actually looking forward to it!

Even if it becomes law, I and thousands of others will simply ignore it!

there will be an election this year. without doubt

and there is no way on god's green earth im going to stop punting!

An election is always the last thing on their mind until the day they call it.

If it looks like Spring 2009 will offer a better chance than 2010 they'll call it for sure.

I suspect that things will look bad and getting worse in the springtime. He may look 'irreplaceable' (by a young and inexperienced Cameron/Osborne team) in a few months but I don't think his economic medicine is going to have that much effect over the short-term and he's only got a two-year window before he has to call, toward the end of which it will be obvious to ALL that he is part of the problem rather than the solution. I'd be willing to bet that the current mess will take a good four years to sort out, though green sprouts may begin to reappear a bit before that. No quick fixes and the ones being mooted on both sides of the Atlantic look dubious.:D

Yes and undoubtedly the Tories will do no better.

They're all as bad as each other.

To be fair to politicians they realise they can't please all the people all of the time, so they just please themselves. :D

* Note to self - Call in at the bookies tomorrow and see what odds are being offered for May 14th *

Yes and undoubtedly the Tories will do no better.

They're all as bad as each other.

To be fair to politicians they realise they can't please all the people all of the time, so they just please themselves. :confused:

And that's part of the problem - loss of confidence in the politicians, banks and the banking system - with uncertainty yet exactly what lessons must be learned. It's the 'pointing game' right now and few people want to step forward and accept any responsibility - including the civilians who bought houses with 120% mortgages, maxed-out a dozen credit cards and have 'his' and 'hers' Lexus SUVs parked in front of the house.:D

Are we off-topic or on-topic? When I start to rant I tend to lose track:confused:

if it's this year surely it would be on the same day as the european elections - which are in June i think

ONCE MORE IT SEEMS NECESSARY TO SAY THAT PAID SEX HAS BEEN AROUND SINCE TIME BEGAN AND NO GOVERNMENT HAS MANAGED TO STOP IT YET. ONCE AGAIN YOU ARE SOMEONE SUGGESTING THAT THIS SET OF JOKERS WILL BE ABLE TO DO WHAT HAS NEVER BEEN DONE BEFORE IN THE HISTORY OF THE ENTIRE WORLD!

REST ASSURED PAID SEX IN ONE FORM OR ANOTHER WILL STILL BE AROUND LONG, LONG AFTER YOU, ME, JACQUI SMITH, HARRIET HARMAN, UNCLE TOM COBLEY AND ALL WILL NO LONGER BE IN A POSITION TO CARE. FURTHERMORE, MS SMITH AND MS HARMAN WILL NOT EVEN BE A FOOTNOTE IN HISTORY.

Sorry for the caps, but it seems I just cannot get people to understand this which I have now posted at least half a dozen times.

And what's the point in writing to any MP of any party? They're not going to defend paid sex are they?

Here Here!!!;)

if it's this year surely it would be on the same day as the european elections - which are in June i think

Why would it???

I would imagine that with the ever present tensions surrounding greater European integration; that and the weakness of the pound against the Euro, I would suspect they'll want to divorce it from the European elections as much as is humanly possible!

I predict that in 20 years time there will still be prostitution in this country and Ms Smith & Ms Harman will be long forgot.

IMHO I think everyone is missing the point......of course punting will still be around only every aspect of the process will have been criminalised.

Remember the governments answer to all those who say prostitution can never be outlawed is to say that they are not doing that, just outlawing 'forced sex.....with trafficked women'.

The most frightening aspect is the new concept in law that a punter can be deemed engaging in a criminal act even if he has taken all precautions and is not aware he is breaking the law.

Once this concept is accepted, think of how it can used elsewhere......

Absolutely on the button. I suspect that the motivation behind this proposed legislation is, in large part, to intimidate the punting public, particularly those who are married, into giving up paid sex, and thereby reduce the number of sex workers. Although of course there is not even a published draft bill yet it will, if it becomes law, be a most difficult piece of legislation to enforce.

For those who are married, or who are concerned with their public reputation, it is the fear of prosecution, not of conviction, which will change or stop their punting habits.

Whatever the outcome, I suspect that the vast majority of punters will continue to punt. Any legislation will, I suggest, do little more than drive the trade further underground so no one will benefit from the any change in the law. However it will enable New Labour to claim to be a caring, reforming party and they will utter their usual banal spin and sound bites, in an attempt to deflect the electorates minds away from their failure in those areas which really matter.

I suspect that things will look bad and getting worse in the springtime. He may look 'irreplaceable' (by a young and inexperienced Cameron/Osborne team) in a few months but I don't think his economic medicine is going to have that much effect over the short-term and he's only got a two-year window before he has to call, toward the end of which it will be obvious to ALL that he is part of the problem rather than the solution. I'd be willing to bet that the current mess will take a good four years to sort out, though green sprouts may begin to reappear a bit before that. No quick fixes and the ones being mooted on both sides of the Atlantic look dubious.:D

Whoever wins the next election, will receive a poisoned chalice. Unlike 1997 when Gordon Brown became Chancellor, and inherited an already improving national economy, whoever forms the next administration is going to have to start paying back the massive loans taken out, in the taxpayers name, by this government.

It will take half a century to pay it back.

yes, my grandkids will probably be paying for it for their working lives. good int?

they are 5 and 7.

IMHO I think everyone is missing the point......of course punting will still be around only every aspect of the process will have been criminalised.

Remember the governments answer to all those who say prostitution can never be outlawed is to say that they are not doing that, just outlawing 'forced sex.....with trafficked women'.

The most frightening aspect is the new concept in law that a punter can be deemed engaging in a criminal act even if he has taken all precautions and is not aware he is breaking the law.

Once this concept is accepted, think of how it can used elsewhere......

You make a good point, however I doubt that the "strict liability" aspect of the proposed legislation has bypassed all members, personally I consider the "strict liability" aspect to be of the least importance for the following reason :-

I think that the "strict liability" aspect is something that has been thrown in to be thrown away, something that will be "reluctantly" discarded in order to get the main contents of the bill passed.

Do you honestly think many MP's would dare stand up and say the punters should not have their prostitutes taken away from them. And if they did would not HH and JS stand up and say we are not taking them away just stopping them paying those who are controlled for anothers gain.

Get used to the idea it will become law, and we can all celebrate if it does not. I think I will have a half price week to celebrate... So if it does not get passed I will have a 20 pounds a go week.

I suspect that things will look bad and getting worse in the springtime. He may look 'irreplaceable' (by a young and inexperienced Cameron/Osborne team) in a few months but I don't think his economic medicine is going to have that much effect over the short-term and he's only got a two-year window before he has to call

It's less than that - last election was May 2005, so there is only this year and the beginning of next.

I think it's got to be this Spring, and settle for clinging on to power with the LibDems (at best) or face wipeout next year.

It's less than that - last election was May 2005, so there is only this year and the beginning of next.

I think it's got to be this Spring, and settle for clinging on to power with the LibDems (at best) or face wipeout next year.

Yes, I agree.. If they wait any longer people will really realise what a mess they have made of the economy and they will be wiped out.

Yes, I agree.. If they wait any longer people will really realise what a mess they have made of the economy and they will be wiped out.

Its the bankers greed who have made the mess and its world-wide not just the UK.

Its the bankers greed who have made the mess and its world-wide not just the UK.

Ah, you have been listening to Gordon Brown then :D

Nope, Gordon Brown has wrecked the economy, sold all the gold at a ridiculous rate, put no money aside etc, he had warnings again and again for the past few years that the debt was getting too big from the IMF but took no notice of it, he could have stopped it back then.

Worldwide problem, partly, but England is one of the countries which has got the most debt in the world now.. Which means England really let loose on the lending.

* Note to self - Call in at the bookies tomorrow and see what odds are being offered for May 14th *

Oh not that day, its my birthday.