MK_Bonnie

Being courteous..

31 posts in this topic

I am always courteous, any emails/calls or sms I always reply to. I respect others and hope they do me. Do others have problems with people not replying? A reply like "no thanks, I cannot make that date/time" would suffice, it only takes a couple of minutes. Your thoughts..:confused:

Think it just goes with the territory - just save the number / ID / email addy and ignore any future contact and write it off as a bad job, move on and expect it to happen from time to time.

Some people do have genuine reasons not to respond, you might want to give people a second chance, but not a third.

We had a guy looking to book two girls just the other night and after much to-ing and fro-ing to assess availability of the girls he might like and confirming everything with him (this was quite late at night) he would not answer his phone. Best guess - he wanted to find out about the industry having never made a call like that before? He was lonely and wanted our receptionist to speak to - he even asked her out for a drink after she finished handling calls......

There are good and bad in every sphere - just keep your chin up and try not to waste too much time (however courteously) on any one booking lest it goes bad. Obviously the better you know a client, the more time you can invest in meeting any specific requirement in order to seal the booking.

I am always courteous, any emails/calls or sms I always reply to. I respect others and hope they do me. Do others have problems with people not replying? A reply like "no thanks, I cannot make that date/time" would suffice, it only takes a couple of minutes. Your thoughts..:confused:

I agree Bonnie courtesy is so important, so easy and costs nothing. Like you say, if one's running late or needs to cancel then a simple text or call is just polite and quickly solves any misunderstanding, allowing the respective parties to adapt accordingly. Some people can be so selfish or thoughtless with no regard to the inconvenience their simple lack of courtesy can cause.

Also, courtesy covers a wide range or areas such as hygiene as well as time keeping. Simple things that make life much easier for everyone, but if they're not kept in mind then it can be so needlessly frustrating, annoying or worse. :(

I always reply. Sometimes chaps don't respond to emails at all - ok it's up to them but often we'll be left wondering "Does he want that booking or not?"........I usually assume not if I get no response but occasionally have had chaps ring 1 hour before on the day to say they are on their way to said booking!

Most people are polite and courteous though.

Do others have problems with people not replying?

Yes.  ‏  ‏  ‏  

Yes.  ‏  ‏  ‏  

Tumbleweed rolls.......................................................................

Its depends when email sent, and when they ask for a booking.

If they sent something like: "Hun, when can you fix me today?"

That kind of emai or text never will get a response.

If its something like: Xenia, Would you be able to see today at around 3/4pm.

Sometimes I do answer on those, sometimes I don't, depending. I am clearly state on my website that I need 24 hours notice. If they are not attentive enough to read it, then I have an excuse to ignore such emails.

I do reply to this kinds of emails sometimes ( if I am in the good mood) just to basically state my working hours, and that I need more notice then that.

Unfortunately: (in my case) about 60-70% enquiries are from the guys who have not read my website properly. I am working on it, how to make it more clear, without putting this part of text in the largest font possible, or as horrible marquee, or surrounded by flying dragonflies...etc. I am considering anything for the guys to take notice of it. I am failed so far. Any suggestions?

Most people are polite and courteous, and its something that my parents instilled in me, and I have passed onto my children.

I try to always respond to e-mails, and think its cost nothing to have good manners and offer advice when you can, either on the board or via a pm, but dont always get a reply when I offer some insight, which might be because the person has got many reply's, and so I dont always expect folk to respond.

Most folk on here are friendly, and only once have I had a pm which was lacking in friendly'ness, unlike some other board, where I was slated more times than the church roof..lol.

Unfortunately: (in my case) about 60-70% enquiries are from the guys who have not read my website properly. I am working on it, how to make it more clear, without putting this part of text in the largest font possible, or as horrible marquee, or surrounded by flying dragonflies...etc. I am considering anything for the guys to take notice of it. I am failed so far. Any suggestions?

When some new folk read a web-site, thay also need to be 100% sure that what it says, is accurate, and have to get some form of agreement, also there is the blatent time waster who contact you to improve their seedy little world.

Apart from saying "what you read is 100% accurate", and "please read twice as replys to already stated info is a waste of time" etc, im not sure what you can do.

I always reply - it's the customer service training in me that simply can't leave an email unanswered! Even if is it to say "sorry I can't make it to you within 15 minutes, but thanks for your email anyway" at 11.30 on a Friday evening! :confused: Praps one day that man will remember me for my courtesy, and try punting a little earlier in the day...I can but hope :(

I do not always answer texts.... I have my appointments 15 minutes apart and in that time I am setting the room & myself for the next person. Sometimes I do not see my phone until a couple of hours later and by then it is to late to reply to the text. What I do say on my voicemail is that I am very sorry, but I do not answer voicemail or text and also state this on my website. I do always answer private messages etc, but will not book by that system as I like to speak to the person who is booking.

I agree Bonnie courtesy is so important, so easy and costs nothing. Like you say, if one's running late or needs to cancel then a simple text or call is just polite and quickly solves any misunderstanding, allowing the respective parties to adapt accordingly. Some people can be so selfish or thoughtless with no regard to the inconvenience their simple lack of courtesy can cause.

Also, courtesy covers a wide range or areas such as hygiene as well as time keeping. Simple things that make life much easier for everyone, but if they're not kept in mind then it can be so needlessly frustrating, annoying or worse. :confused:

I agree. As with anything there will be those who have no thought for others.:(

Its depends when email sent, and when they ask for a booking.

If they sent something like: "Hun, when can you fix me today?"

That kind of emai or text never will get a response.

If its something like: Xenia, Would you be able to see today at around 3/4pm.

Sometimes I do answer on those, sometimes I don't, depending. I am clearly state on my website that I need 24 hours notice. If they are not attentive enough to read it, then I have an excuse to ignore such emails.

I do reply to this kinds of emails sometimes ( if I am in the good mood) just to basically state my working hours, and that I need more notice then that.

No suggestions hun but so glad its not just me who has those problems :confused:

I am always courteous, any emails/calls or sms I always reply to. I respect others and hope they do me. Do others have problems with people not replying? A reply like "no thanks, I cannot make that date/time" would suffice, it only takes a couple of minutes. Your thoughts..:mad:

Honi, I believe being courteous goes a long way. Having manners speaks for itself.

I actually can't stand it when you come across people that lack manners, it's one of my pet hates :confused: that and lack of hygiene, but hey that's a different thread lol :mad:

As long as you have manners in tact, don't worry. I think it is polite to answer emails- although saying that, I didn't ever reply to emails that I thought sounded crude, crap or even crappier. :):(

Works both ways as well. I booked a 1hr appointment in hemel today and spoke to the person in to confirm details, time, address etc. I arrived about 10 mins early so rang her to let her know I had arrived, only to be told.that she had a friend round so could I wait for 15 mins which i was happy to do. Seemed really friendly on the phone waited half an hour and then texted her to find put how long she would be .... got no reply. Tried ringing now her phone is off.

Not a happy bunny would have accepted a callback saying she now couldn't meet but to be left sitting in my car for 40 odd mins is just inconsiderate and rude.

Rant over now time to plan a punt for next week.

I didn't ever reply to emails that I thought sounded crude, crap or even crappier. :mad::confused:

That is Brilliant! I love you, Nats. :(

Don't always get a reply to emails, voicemails etc. Just out of curosity how many emails would you expect to receive on a typical day?

I would make the whole site larger, hardly anybody has screens with 800 x 600 resolution these days. Just doing that would make the text more legible.

Works both ways as well. I booked a 1hr appointment in hemel today and spoke to the person in to confirm details, time, address etc. I arrived about 10 mins early so rang her to let her know I had arrived, only to be told.that she had a friend round so could I wait for 15 mins which i was happy to do. Seemed really friendly on the phone waited half an hour and then texted her to find put how long she would be .... got no reply. Tried ringing now her phone is off.

Not a happy bunny would have accepted a callback saying she now couldn't meet but to be left sitting in my car for 40 odd mins is just inconsiderate and rude.

Well I think you have taken the no show very well!, I would phone again and again till I got some kind of answer to why it was okay when you set off, and not okay for her to phone to call you when it was clear that she was not able to commit to the booking.

Of course things can happen, but to have someone wait outside for 40 minutes, and no mention of what was going on, shows her lack of proffesional'ism.

I will always reply. Every single time. No matter how idiotic, rude or discurteous (thankfully those are extremly rare). But in those cases my reply will only ever be that we're evidently not suitable to meet but wishing him all the best finding the right girl. Now and again I'll get a groveling apology with a decent second attempt.

It's actually not just about courtesy but the fundemantals of running any business successfully.

It certainly does work both ways and if this had happened to me (it has in the past) i would be annoyed. In this case she told you she had a friend round, very unprofessional to not let you know and she was aware you had travelled and were waiting near her place.

Don't always get a reply to emails, voicemails etc. Just out of curosity how many emails would you expect to receive on a typical day?

It depends, each day is different. As well as coming from customer service background, I was brought up with manners and respect for others. Nowadays this seems to be lacking. Some people just do not care and are just self centred. Do not get me wrong, all my clients are lovely chaps, curteous and respectful! x;)

I will always reply. Every single time. No matter how idiotic, rude or discurteous (thankfully those are extremly rare).

Pity, that you don't display the link to your website here, Justagirl. Because some people after reading it, would try to "test" you on this statement. lol

Still: I am sure it will be interesting for you to see with what kinds of email they will come up with, to challenge you "not to reply" to them. :confused:

Always courteous, always respectful. The only thing I trip up on is the post booking banter. Have I just sent one too many flippant chat emails? Maybe, probably more like. Ah well.

PS Justagirl, always enjoy your posts, shame you maintain your cloak of anonymity on here.

Pity, that you don't display the link to your website here, Justagirl. Because some people after reading it, would try to "test" you on this statement. lol

Still: I am sure it will be interesting for you to see with what kinds of email they will come up with, to challenge you "not to reply" to them. :confused:

:mad: I don't get enough of the "weird and wonderful" - when I do and it's a real winner, I have such fun with it. I always give as good as I get (or even better) without ever being (explicity) rude in reply :(