AdamManchester

IP Cameras

29 posts in this topic

This tech area I have absolutely no experience with.

I have an apartment that I sub-let on hourly basis, I want to install some kind of CCTV or cheap webcam near the front door so I can view activity from my home 40miles+ away for many reasons, etc. The premises has broadband & router, exactly what piece of kit can I purchase to do what I want? Obviously it has to be small and discreet. Built-in motion detector would be great, e.g. saving timestamped images. Budget £300.

Any tips and advice would be much appreciated.

Sounds like you may be looking to "control" your tenants and their clients. I personally don't think you should go down that line.

Sounds like you may be looking to "control" your tenants and their clients. I personally don't think you should go down that line.

Because the tenants abused my trust and the privilege of each having copy of the keys, so I want to know who/when leaves/enter my apartment for billing purposes and avoid a clash like today. As a client, I'd hate a setup like this, but I have no other choice.

This tech area I have absolutely no experience with.

I have an apartment that I sub-let on hourly basis, I want to install some kind of CCTV or cheap webcam near the front door so I can view activity from my home 40miles+ away for many reasons, etc. The premises has broadband & router, exactly what piece of kit can I purchase to do what I want? Obviously it has to be small and discreet. Built-in motion detector would be great, e.g. saving timestamped images. Budget £300.

Any tips and advice would be much appreciated.

Adam: what do you mean by discreet camera? Is after be disquised or hidden in everyday objects (like for example in the flood light on the wall of your house)?

If it is, I think its not going to be easy to find such an IP camera in this country, as I was looking for similar myself not long ago. I am sure can order one from USA sites though, providing they will ship it here.

Adam: what do you mean by discreet camera? Is after be disquised or hidden in everyday objects (like for example in the flood light on the wall of your house)?

If it is, I think its not going to be easy to find such an IP camera in this country, as I was looking for similar myself not long ago. I am sure can order one from USA sites though, providing they will ship it here.

I've just re-read my above post. Can I just say if some people who read the part of the sentence (which highlighted in bold above) don't think that I have some secret surveillance.

The reason for it, its because more or less explained in this thread. For me its was the way to go (to install hidden cameras, which I did not in the end), because no matter how many times I put visible cameras on my house, garden, arounds, etc the wires as well as the steel tubes where the wires were run through were cut off and damaged by the robbers.

Adam: sorry, I digressed from your query. Just needed to clarify it, in case if some paranoid souls will read it, and might take it in the wrong way.

Hi Adam, its a tricky area, because this camera is to be installed at an apartment you are sub-letting and not your own home it is covered by the data protection act. In practical terms, if individuals are capable of being identified from the relevant CCTV images, then it is considered personal information that you are holding about the individual concerned. This means You will need to display signs informing people they are on CCTV and the signs need to display details of the organisation / person operating the system, for example: ''Images are being monitored and recorded for the purposes of crime prevention. This scheme is controlled by ADAM ******. For more information, call **********."

The people caught on the camera (anyone coming and going) are entitled to view what information you capture with them on it and obtain a copy from you.

hope this helps

Has to be indoor, recording the apartment's front door and not easily spottable by the tenant's clients when they come in or leave.

http://www.axis.com/products/cam_209fd/index.htm

For some reason I feel a small dome on the ceiling is less likely to stand out, as we're used to it in retail stores? Could be mistaken for a smoke detector? At 10cm it's small. Would need drilling though and at £400 is expensive.

Originally I thought of adding a piece of small furniture and placing this at the top, facing the front door, but it would be eye level:

http://www.axis.com/products/cam_207mw/index.htm

Right.

Good warning thread this is.

Would almost recommend it for Sticky.

This is one reason why I discarded incalls at the start of my path into this world.

btw: I'm not alone.

I once met a girl with my phone in hand, as it had just rung.

She cancelled on the spot: thought I'd wanted to take a snap of her.

And another, rather regular Lady told me she generally turned her head and hair in a particular way when knocking on a hotel door as she had once been snapped right after the door was opened.

Some weirdos out there.

(and I'm not accusing the OP of anything, if he had any malicious intent he wouldnt be so naive as to ask on here, would he?)

Because the tenants abused my trust and the privilege of each having copy of the keys, so I want to know who/when leaves/enter my apartment for billing purposes and avoid a clash like today. As a client, I'd hate a setup like this, but I have no other choice.

Could the evidence that you are seeking be used against you at sometime in the future? I would just make sure that your Tenant indemnifies you in a sum of money as a deposit to be used against future damage to your property. Pop over, say once a week, to check all is well.

I once met a girl with my phone in hand, as it had just rung.

She cancelled on the spot: thought I'd wanted to take a snap of her.

Something similar happened to me. I had a great time seeing a lady and had already resolved in my mind to see her again.

I was getting dressed and as I picked up my shirt my phone fell out of the top pocket. Even before I had picked it up of the floor she accused me of trying to photograph her and went absolutely apeshit. I got out of there fast and had to finish dressing in the street. Needless to say I never went again.

Sorry to hijack your thread Adam but I think that Sexysarah is correct about the Data Protection Act and those Axis cameras are quite noticeable.

(and I'm not accusing the OP of anything, if he had any malicious intent he wouldnt be so naive as to ask on here, would he?)

Confusion here?

Apartment is mine, used by a few tenants to entertain guests, billed per hour basis, tenants have copy of keys, one of the tenants arrived at the apartment to find another tenant there with a guest when I told her it was available/empty, i.e. other tenant avoiding the charge for using my apartment (trust no one in this biz).

I intend to install IP CCTV so I know which tenant is entering/leaving my apartment and when. I have told the tenants I intend to do this, only one has an issue who I could do without anyway as she leaves the place in a mess.

Thanks Sarah, I'll look into it further.

Can't find it on ICO site anymore but I read somewhere that if it's for private home use then it doesn't fall under Data Protection Act.

Idid hear of a scenario a guy had whereby he was having WGs visit regularly and secretly he was audio/video recording the whole session

Apparently he had a whole stack of videos made like this, i forget how it came to light but I think he got caight cos he put a saucy video in the wrong cover and it went where it shouldnt have

then the whole thing unravelled

After reading this tutorial, it's easier/cheaper if I use my netbook and it's built-in webcam with that motion detector software to stream over the broadband connection. That way when the tenant arrives, they will close the netbook for their guest's privacy and re-open it before they leave. Obviously they could steal the netbook, but they've pre-paid for use of the place.

I have been following this thread with interest. I too have been trying to source a WIFI camera for my home network (nothing to do with punting) for some time. I want a Wifi connection to my router so that I can access pics via both the network and via the internet. Ideally I need a camera with low light or IR capability. I thought the above camera might be ideal until I read the reviews of it. The bigest problem is finding a camera that is easy to set up and that supports dynamic ip adresses. Most Wifi cameras seem made for broadband with a fixed ip addresses and i understand these can be a nightmare to setup for broadband with a dynamic ip address as a review of the above camera makes clear. Any suggestions?

Problem is that that camera needs an ethernet connection and is not WIFI

You will prolly find what you're after by Googling "802.11 security camera".

(Definitely found a few, like this.)

B

Just remember even if u have a camera set up wireless using your own internal network, you will still need to configure your router to allow you to view it from outside of your home using the internet.

Just because It works internally from your desktop/laptop does not mean it will work from outside. As for Static/Dynamic IP addresses don't let that worry you. You will most probably have to give it a static ip address anyway if you want to view from the internet.

Looks like I wil get a Y-Cam and see if I can get it to work

Couldnt you just tell them your going to do it and stick something up which isnt active, small dummy camera. Im sure they arent about to pull it off the wall to check and would solve your problem with a lot less hassle

i have a spyhole camera which is set in the spyhole of my gate its wireless and works fine looks just like a spyhole i paid 40 pounds for it from b& q

Has to be indoor, recording the apartment's front door and not easily spottable by the tenant's clients when they come in or leave.

http://www.axis.com/products/cam_209fd/index.htm

For some reason I feel a small dome on the ceiling is less likely to stand out, as we're used to it in retail stores? Could be mistaken for a smoke detector? At 10cm it's small. Would need drilling though and at £400 is expensive.

Originally I thought of adding a piece of small furniture and placing this at the top, facing the front door, but it would be eye level:

http://www.axis.com/products/cam_207mw/index.htm

Couldnt you just tell them your going to do it and stick something up which isnt active, small dummy camera. Im sure they arent about to pull it off the wall to check and would solve your problem with a lot less hassle

Ingenius! :D

However, just to ease everyone's fears, to retain the privacy of all parties, I have decided not to go ahead with any setup and simply came to an "agreement" with the sub-tenants regarding their obligation to stick to their promises of using the premises. Jumping to the conclusion that the intention was to recorded anyone "in action" would be grossly incorrect.