The Teaser

Is the number of trafficked call girls a myth?

13 posts in this topic

There is a sensible article on the BBC web site suggesting that it is!

There's a thread over here on the topic worth checking out for more.

Interesting link. In the BBC programme they were too coy to mention what 'extreme' services the parlours were asked about in the phone survey. This article says it was anal that was asked about.

Interesting link. In the BBC programme they were too coy to mention what 'extreme' services the parlours were asked about in the phone survey. This article says it was anal that was asked about.

It's worth placing this in context of the Poppy Project 'research' which sparked this debate, especially as espoused by our friend Ms Bindel, and no doubt previously referenced somewhere hereabouts (emphasis added):

My co-author Helen Atkins and I recruited male friends and colleagues to help with the research, and warned them that the work might be upsetting. They were to telephone brothels, posing as potential punters, with a list of questions including "What nationalities are on offer tonight?", "Do the girls do anal?", "How about oral without a condom?", and "What age are they?" We wanted to look at what really goes on in brothels - how much control the women really have; whether there is evidence of trafficking; if local councils are giving licences for saunas and massage parlours when it is clear that they are brothels; and how the sex industry is growing and evolving.

During 120 hours of telephone calls, we established the following: at least 1,933 women are currently at work in London's brothels; ages range from 18 to 55 (with a number of premises offering "very, very young girls"); prices for full sex start at £15, and go up to £250; and more than a third of the brothels offer unprotected sex - including, in some cases, anal penetration. The lowest price quoted for anal sex was £15. "Come along and bring your mates," said one brothel owner. "We have a Greek girl who is very, very young." While kissing used to be off-limits for women selling sex, it can now be bought for an extra tenner.

Link

B

...and more than a third of the brothels offer unprotected sex - including, in some cases, anal penetration. ...

B

This is the bit that has caught my attention - and I have to say I think the figure is pretty much bang on from what I have been hearing in recent months/years... the availability and prevalence of unprotected sex - and indeed the demand - is increasing at a somewhat incredible rate. Most people on this forum (particulalrly the girls, I hasten to add) have poured scorn upon this but from what I am hearing - from reputable sources - this would sound about right.

This is the bit that has caught my attention - and I have to say I think the figure is pretty much bang on from what I have been hearing in recent months/years... the availability and prevalence of unprotected sex - and indeed the demand - is increasing at a somewhat incredible rate. Most people on this forum (particulalrly the girls, I hasten to add) have poured scorn upon this but from what I am hearing - from reputable sources - this would sound about right.

I seem to remember that they have included oral without as being unprotected sex.

I seem to remember that they have included oral without as being unprotected sex.

That being the case I suspect the figure should be closer to 80%! I think there are some girls who are now turning their back on OWO - and rightly so in my opinion... I think the step between owo and full unprotected sex is but a very small one... but if you;re including OWO in the figure - 33% is just too low... way, way, way more than half (in my opinion) are prepared to offer OWO.

In 3 and a half years of punting I have only ever once been offered bareback sex (and that included anal) once in a parlour (where on countless other occasions it was thankfully never mentioned).

Depending on one's view of bareback I am obviously either frequenting the right places, or the wrong ones...

B

lets not forget that the poppy project had £4 million donated by the govt to produce the big brothel report.

no doubt there was a temptation to give the govt what they wanted to hear and like the wmd dossier "sex up the report" for obvious political reasons

lets not forget that the poppy project had £4 million donated by the govt to produce the big brothel report.

That makes me sick. I used to work for a charity and we spent hours filling in forms pleading for £10k here & £15k there to try and keep the place afloat. Everything we did conformed to a code of ethics and was overseen by researchers from the local Uni. These guys get £4 million to do trash research which does nothing but spread alarm & despondency.

Here's another article that questions the statistics. Quite well constructed and un-biased.:

Link

That is correct..in eg Australia they would never dream of unprotected oral or CIM but then their immigration is totally different from the UK....

Here's another article that questions the statistics. Quite well constructed and un-biased.:

Link

Interesting article from an interesting source. I suspect very few MPs visit that particular website but one can hope.