Irgendeiner

Advertising!

7 posts in this topic

I was much obliged to SaSfan for his link to CPS guidance on Diplomatic Immunity, which was most interesting, and made quite good sense, but which also enabled me to navigate to the CPS guidance on Prostitution, as of January this year (so not covering, yet, the new absolute offence). This is at:

http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/p_to_r/prostitution_and_exploitation_of_prostitution/

Right at the end is a wee bitty about advertising which strikes me as shifty and dishonest!

Placing of advertisements in newspapers

There is no specific offence. However, the Newspaper Society has always advised publishers not to publish advertisements for illegal establishments and activities such as brothels or venues where sexual services are offered illegally. The advice also warns publishers that massage parlours can disguise illegal offers of sexual services and it suggests adopting protective policies such as checks on qualifications to ensure the advertised service is legitimate.

It advises that a newspaper company can adopt a policy of refusing all advertisements for personal services, or policies intended to reduce the risk of publication relating to illegal prostitution and human trafficking, or which its staff suspect might do so. It advises that a newspaper company ensure that its staff are assisted and supported in decisions to refuse this type of advertising or refuse any particular advertisement. Guidance also advises that papers instigate meetings with local police and prosecutors, local authorities and other relevant agencies to discuss and agree a consistent and workable approach.

Some police forces have local policies in place for enforcement against prostitution services advertised in the local press. Here, police are advising local newspapers that if advertisements appear for brothels, even under the guise of massage parlours and saunas, the newspaper itself may be liable to prosecution for money laundering offences under the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002. See Proceeds of Crime Act 2002 General Guidance, elsewhere in the

Legal Guidance.

Interesting that CPS mention that the Police (not them) are giving legal advice (which most emphatically is not their job) to newspapers, of, IMHO, very dubious validity. Even more interesting that there is (deliberately, I'm sure) no mention of ads placed by indies operating solo, and, therefore, 100% legally! I'm also most surprised that there is no mention of the traditional news-agent's window cards, which Mayor Boris has recently gone for.

Come 6 May, I think we have a sad choice between a (dishonest) Labour administration and a (probably equally dishonest) Conservative opposition. The best answer, if I could afford it, would be to head off, with a lovely lady, to some warm (but not over hot, and certainly not 47 C!) foreign clime, but alas.....

So if the newspaper carries ads for any other business that turns out to be running fraudulently, illegally etc will they be prosecuted too, under the same rules?

So if the newspaper carries ads for any other business that turns out to be running fraudulently, illegally etc will they be prosecuted too, under the same rules?

And if a gold-digger advertises in the lonely hearts' column?

Showing my age but years ago there was a publication available in some Soho newsagents (before the age of sex shops) called The Ladies Directory. The publisher was charged with "corrupting the public morals". The case went all the way to the House of Lords where his conviction was upheld.

Showing my age but years ago there was a publication available in some Soho newsagents (before the age of sex shops) called The Ladies Directory. The publisher was charged with "corrupting the public morals". The case went all the way to the House of Lords where his conviction was upheld.

George Frederick Shaw v DPP! He was sentenced to six months inside. I have a copy of the Ladies Directory, which cost me 5/- (Five Shillings, for the benefit of the juniors, now 25p, but worth a good deal more then, when a "short time" would cost two guineas (£2.10))!

Some police forces have local policies in place for enforcement against prostitution services advertised in the local press. Here, police are advising local newspapers that if advertisements appear for brothels, even under the guise of massage parlours and saunas, the newspaper itself may be liable to prosecution for money laundering offences under the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002. See Proceeds of Crime Act 2002 General Guidance, elsewhere in the Legal Guidance.

I really do find that approach extremely strange, the police are, in theory if they believe their own advice, turning down opportunities to open investigations into possible illegal activities, I must be missing something.

Sadly I do not think that my learned friend is missing anything! He is, simply, too delicate to declare that, in this field, at least, the Police (under pressure from MiniJust and ACPO) have stopped enforceing the law as passed by the Lords, Commons and Crown, in favour of targetted action against particular activities, which, whether criminal, unlawful or neither, are dissaproved of by the hegemon (sorry Gramsci!).

Although I think 1984 is a wonderful work, I still think that the "best bit" is the appendix on "Newspeak"!