Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wanderlust

Health checks for the unprotected

5 posts in this topic

I have just frittered away half an hour trying to find out how health inspections worked under the old pre-1946 French brothel system, where condoms seemed rarely to have been used and BB was the norm. Now I find that Mr Natural's thread, on which I intended to post the information, has been closed. D****d annoying. So I hope I'll be forgiven for posting like this

Apparently the girls were checked every other week under law that dated from Napoleon's time. This detected STI cases early, stopping serious outbreaks as the infection was passed round the house & its regular clients. There is a famous, if sad, painting by Toulouse-Lautrec, who lived for a while in a brothel and later died of the pox. During the German occupation the inspections were uped to 3 times per girl per week with the house forced to keep a list of who went with whom. This followed expereince in WW! when all the armies had stupendous rates of STI.

http://www.cynical-c.com/?p=13309

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prostitution_in_France

http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/toulouse-lautrec/i/medical-inspection.jpg

The system clearly worked after a fashion for the STD rate in France dramatically increased after the brothels were closed in 1946, but -Mr N nota bene- it does seem to be an incredible hassle compared to persuabing people to use condoms and to have negative check-up once a quarter. What's more the NHS is pretty stretched as it is......

I have just frittered away half an hour trying to find out how health inspections worked under the old pre-1946 French brothel system, where condoms seemed rarely to have been used and BB was the norm.

Hmmm - you should get a hobby :D

Interesting, but I don't foresee anything like 'brothel inspections'. The reason they went round so often is probably because they got a free shag.

The kind of system I was talking about would not be too hard to graft on to existing std checks where they already sms your results.

Although it would cost money to develop the software I'm sure, but not that much in the big scheme of things.

Re: 'persuading people to use a condom' I don't really need persuading as it's a good idea on paper, but if a proportion of people don't get a lot of pleasure and satisfaction from condom sex unprotected is going to happen, because sex is a strong drive like that...it's not like giving up chocolate.

At the moment people are told use a condom all the time and unprotected sex is the forbidden fruit. In fact, it's very easy for bareback to happen in the heat of the moment as people are inclined towards it, and there is a situation where drug addicts or questionable EE girls are always available if someone gives in.

If it was facilitated for people to make considered choices about bareback punting (and casual sex) it may reduce a lot of crazy shit going on, as there is a safer outlet, and the need is being met for people sometimes.

Hmmm - you should get a hobby ;)

I've several---- but the interest in medical history is easier to pursue in airport lounges than some of the others...........:D

I've several---- but the interest in medical history is easier to pursue in airport lounges than some of the others...........:D

Pah, no sense of adventure. ;):(