rubens

Anyone else getting punternet blocked ?

17 posts in this topic

Hi. I am having problems accessing the site as I usually do, it just keeps timing out. I am here now via a proxy server. Anyone else having the same problem ? Could it just be a tech thing, or is this the start of something sinister...

Twice its happened to me over the past week or so. Working ok since although a bit slow to load sometimes.

No all ok for me 2 ;)

Seems okay for me today.

bout 2 weeks ago I couldnt access for about an hour before it came back and I think once since then but seems fine at the mo.

OK now ! Think it must have just been some routing problems somewhere, since I'd never before only been able to access via a proxy (ie meaning the pnet server was ok).

I thought I saw the hand of Big Brother ....

OK now ! Think it must have just been some routing problems somewhere, since I'd never before only been able to access via a proxy (ie meaning the pnet server was ok).

I thought I saw the hand of Big Brother ....

More like big mother.

HH had better watch out or we will get little HH dolls and stick very big and painful pins in them.

...maybe Harriett Harman doing her utmost? ;)

Many UK sites (McD, Burgerking and the like) block it.

But I'm typing this from a foreign McD with average speed internet (my hotel here SUCKS on internet speed)

Works OK on East Coast trains free wifi.....:confused:

And yes, I was sat in a corner so no one can see the screen content. Must try at Starbucks later in the week.

Works OK on East Coast trains free wifi.....:confused:

And yes, I was sat in a corner so no one can see the screen content. Must try at Starbucks later in the week.

Yep, find me on the 1900 from KX, but until about York, that one is so crowded there is no chance of browsing this site.

And it can be mighty slow...

If you ask the bandwidth "owner" then they will probably tell you that their nanny attitude is down to something really stupid like "The Data Protection Act" which as virtually everyone except these fuckwits knows is nothing to do with accessing punting sites.

:confused:

Unfortunately, they are pretty ignorant about such things and tend to listen to their geeks, some of whom are born again Christians who think they are on a Crusade.

However sometimes asking the question means that someone with a brain removes the restrictions.

I wonder, does blocking a legal site, offering views on a legal activity, constitute an attack on human rights? We have the right to privacy, free speech, and legal activity. Saying that, I wouldn't try logging on from work, where even facebook is banned! ;)

Many UK sites (McD, Burgerking and the like) block it.

But I'm typing this from a foreign McD with average speed internet (my hotel here SUCKS on internet speed)

When I'm in places that block access to sites ( I travel a fair bit, find lots of stuff is blocked in hotels/cafes, even sites like wikipedia and amazon in some countries ), I use a plugin for firefox called FoxyProxy:

http://foxyproxy.mozdev.org/

They provide a list of proxies on the site, so you should find one that works, as long as the proxy isn't blocked. Personally, I run my own proxy via my home server.

There are lots of other ways of doing this, but I've found this to be the simplest and can be turned off at a touch of a button :D

Yep, find me on the 1900 from KX, but until about York, that one is so crowded there is no chance of browsing this site.

Get a privacy filter. :D

B

Get a privacy filter. :D

A trick I use is to run lynx, a textmode browser, in a terminal. Nobody reads terminals over your shoulder as they're too texty / boring. I use this trick in the office, too ( I'm letting out all my secrets, here :) )

It's also super quick, because it's just text. Although, that does mean no pictures, though :D