Irgendeiner

The Stern Report

6 posts in this topic

Hon members would do well, I think, if they have the time, to download, and read the Stern Report:

http://www.equalities.gov.uk/staimm6geo/pdf/Stern_Review_of_Rape_Reporting_1FINAL.pdf

It does run to 158 pages, and I haven't yet read them all, but am currently relying on the Daily Torygraph's article on today's front page, which makes the point that HH's regularly parrotted statistic that only 6% of rapists get convicted, so we must "adjust" the scales of justice so that all of them are convicted, is wholly false! As I read it, in only 6% of cases where women (well, people, I suppose, because Nu-Labour have changed the meaning of the word "rape" to allow men to rape men as well as women, but not, I think, to allow women to rape men!) suggest to the police that they might have been raped, does a conviction follow. For those who do not have the time to read the noble Lady's prose, the BBC at:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8567337.stm

have a nice graphic!

Have a nice day!

In 6% of cases where rape has been reported/alleged has a conviction for rape been obtained. The conviction rate for those cases actually brought to court is 58%. The Stern view that figures should be clarified when used has already been refuted by the Solicitor General, Vera Baird (?). Interestingly the independant has taken a different view in reporting Stern, they interpret it as a call to completely rethink rape law. HH was not available for comment in regard to her use of the 6% figure.

Interestingly the independant has taken a different view in reporting Stern, they interpret it as a call to completely rethink rape law.

Although in this field I'm very much in favour of the Indie, I don't read it! However, I would agree that the law of rape needs to be gone through with great care.

Surely there is a huge difference between violent rape on a dark night by a stranger, and a boy-friend going "too far", but our law says they are the same offence. For me Heilbron J's magisterial report on rape, post Morgan, said it all, but HH & gang have to fiddle with everything!

HH was not available for comment in regard to her use of the 6% figure.

No, she wouldn't be, would she?

As has been said, the majority of rape cases, brought to court, are found guilty. If there is a problem, it's not with the court system, but wider. If 6% of allegations are found to be true, and 60% (excuse my rounding) of cases that are brought to court are found to be guilty, then, it means that just 10% of allegations are deemed to have the potential of winning in court.

One major problem is that, unlike, say, killing someone, there is no level of crime. If you kill someone it could be one of a variety of murder levels, manslaughter levels, etc. With rape, it's all or nothing. Ironically, the very feminist groups who attack the low success rates, also refuse to allow different levels.

As such, two people go to court. It's one person's word against another, with inconclusive medical evidence. A jury is reluctant to convict someone where there seems to be a significant level of doubt (both were drunk, she can't remember everything, etc), as they are forced, by law to give the maximum verdict.

When the death penalty existed, it was thought that death, for all killing, would protect society. In fact, judges were reluctant to pass death, because of the severity of the sentence, so, would often reduce it to transportation, etc.