Overworked

Fake Windows Security Virus

18 posts in this topic

Just received this annoying virus.

It looks like real windows security checks and flags everything as a potential threat. (Even files I wrote. Yeah right!). Looks like authentic windows security, (although I changed my styling to classic so it shouldn't look like the newer windows XP style), pops up in your system tray, flags everything as a potential security threat and prompts you that the only way to remove it is to purchase a license key. (not on your life pal!)

Also prevents you from going on the web at all or use a web browser to google how to get rid of it.

Noticed it downloading to my computer after my firewall wanted to download a Sun Java update. Accidentally hit unblock (mainly due to drinking too much during the rugby) and had this virus immediatly pop up.

Got it while browsing this site (although doubt its this site as I was on here for a while before hand), youtube and Isohunt (much more likely)

Did a "system restore to previous check point" to one this lunchtime which got rid of it. A normal virus scan just to make sure.

It looks like real windows security checks and flags everything as a potential threat. (Even files I wrote. Yeah right!). Looks like authentic windows security, (although I changed my styling to classic so it shouldn't look like the newer windows XP style), pops up in your system tray, flags everything as a potential security threat and prompts you that the only way to remove it is to purchase a license key. (not on your life pal!)

Also prevents you from going on the web at all or use a web browser to google how to get rid of it.

Noticed it downloading to my computer after my firewall wanted to download a Sun Java update. Accidentally hit unblock (mainly due to drinking too much during the rugby) and had this virus immediatly pop up.

Got it while browsing this site (although doubt its this site as I was on here for a while before hand), youtube and Isohunt (much more likely)

Did a "system restore to previous check point" to one this lunchtime which got rid of it. A normal virus scan just to make sure.

What is the name of it?

Anyway: I posted about similar virus/trojan bellow.

http://www.punternet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28071

If you did a system restore, its not a guarantee that you got rid of it. In fact I am sure its certainly did not, and it might spring back again on some point. (please trust me on this one!)

Just as matter of fact: please download the MS Security Essentials, run the full scan, and I am sure it will trace it! (you most likely will be able fully remove it also through this program quite easily, depending what virus that is).

What is the name of it?

Anyway: I posted about similar virus/trojan bellow.

http://www.punternet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28071

If you did a system restore, its not a guarantee that you got rid of it. In fact I am sure its certainly did not, and it might spring back again on some point. (please trust me on this one!)

Just as matter of fact: please download the MS Security Essentials, run the full scan, and I am sure it will trace it! (you most likely will be able fully remove it also through this program quite easily, depending what virus that is).

I'll have a check around but I dont think its the same virus.

I think the one you mentioned in the thread was one my dad got a few months ago. Annoying one that changes the exe file association so nothing worked at all. (had to reset his file assocaites for exe files over the phone)

I have looked about and havent found anything Im concerned about yet (although it is late and I am rather drunk :D ) I found where it came in via my firewall log and checked what it accessed from there but it looks like my system restore restored everything since then okay.

Only annoying thing is the restore wiped my youtube downloads. Well off to download lady gaga tunes again.....

I'll have a check around but I dont think its the same virus.

I think the one you mentioned in the thread was one my dad got a few months ago. Annoying one that changes the exe file association so nothing worked at all. (had to reset his file assocaites for exe files over the phone)

I have looked about and havent found anything Im concerned about yet (although it is late and I am rather drunk :) ) I found where it came in via my firewall log and checked what it accessed from there but it looks like my system restore restored everything since then okay.

Only annoying thing is the restore wiped my youtube downloads. Well off to download lady gaga tunes again.....

Although looking closer. It might be....

I'll keep an eye on it.

And I was hoping for a quiet sunday :D

Browing Youtube will never get you a virus as much as browsing sites Google, Yahoo etc..

Quite possibly Isohunt. I've been having a few problems on there, especially after downloading a film and it then asks you to do a survey to get the unlock code. hundreds of emails came flooding in and no code

What is the name of it?

Is this a full time Antivrus programme or an online scan? if its the later fine but is it not advisable to run a second antivirus software? every AV package I have tried or Beta tested, (Mcfee, Panda, Eset ect) advise only to run one at a time to avoid problems.

Is this a full time Antivrus programme or an online scan? if its the later fine but is it not advisable to run a second antivirus software? every AV package I have tried or Beta tested, (Mcfee, Panda, Eset ect) advise only to run one at a time to avoid problems.

Yes, it is a full AV suit (though without firewall). I've already mentioned on other thread that better not to run more then one antivirus program at the same time as a real life protection.

However nothing stops you to have more then one AV software on the computer, just make sure then one of them does not run all the time, but you still can use scan features and removal of the nasties of another program, when needed. (just make sure that both programs not scanning at the same time).

Still: MS Security Essentials constantly monitoring together with Avira AV on my present computer, and I have not noticed any conflicts yet, not any effects on performance. It does the same on my other computers with MCafee AV. I did installed MSSE after other AV programs, and it did not gave me any warning about existing AV. I've no idea how its works in real time with other AV packages, as I only installed on my 3 computers.

Using the oh-so-excellent Avast here:D

http://www.avast.com/index

Avast is very good indeed. ;)

I've been running Avast, M$ Firewall and Defender, complemented by Spyware Terminator on my 64 bit Win 7 Professional system (sitting behind a NAT router with SPI etc) since last December and haven't had any problems to date.

(In the past I've not used M$ Firewall or Defender... ran PCTools Firewall and Spybot Search & Destroy and AdAware previously on XP Pro. Just not convinced of third party programs for 64 bit environments at the moment. Spyware Terminator, for example, doesn't offer real time protection on 64 bit.)

Another plug for VistaPE (or Win7PE)... supports Avira etc so a good way to remove virii, trojans and malware etc if you can't do it from within Windows).

B

Avast is very good indeed. ;)

I've been running Avast, M$ Firewall and Defender, complemented by Spyware Terminator on my 64 bit Win 7 Professional system (sitting behind a NAT router with SPI etc) since last December and haven't had any problems to date.

(In the past I've not used M$ Firewall or Defender... ran PCTools Firewall and Spybot Search & Destroy and AdAware previously on XP Pro. Just not convinced of third party programs for 64 bit environments at the moment. Spyware Terminator, for example, doesn't offer real time protection on 64 bit.)

Another plug for VistaPE (or Win7PE)... supports Avira etc so a good way to remove virii, trojans and malware etc if you can't do it from within Windows).

B

Yes indeed, it just gets better with each and every update IMO. I also use Spybot Search and Destroy, Spyware Blaster and FF for browsing.

Using the oh-so-excellent Avast here:D

http://www.avast.com/index

Take 2 ..

I had avast installed updated spick and span bells and whistles and the same virus ( I think its technically a malware) got through.

Theres a link to the real microsoft stuff on the thread Xenia started. Seems to do the work quietly and without making my computer run slowly

Take 3: Shoot the messenger ;)

Take 2 ..

I had avast installed updated spick and span bells and whistles and the same virus ( I think its technically a malware) got through.

Theres a link to the real microsoft stuff on the thread Xenia started. Seems to do the work quietly and without making my computer run slowly

To true, Helen!

I've used Avast before (free version though) and it still did not stopped for the Virus/Trojan to get through. Its on this thread where I was slagging it off! lol

http://www.punternet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11920

I'm repairing/cleaning about 3 a day of this type of "scare ware", there are a few different types but they all do the same thing,

pops up with a box that looks like a virus scanner, tells you that you have loads crap on your pc, than directs you to a web site to rip your card details off.

You can get them by simply browsing the net, "pirate bay" is a good site to get them at the moment.

On a clean pc, I would recommend MS Security essentials, it's free & it works, it will stop them coming in.

If you already have this type of problem, then unless you know what you are doing, I would take it to a shop.

If you feel like you want to play, then boot to safe mode, download & install "Trojan remover", malware bytes" & "ccleaner", you may try a system restore in safe mode if it will let you.

But they are a real pain

Call me crazy but I don't have any anti-virus, anti-spyware, firewall nor security software installed and haven't had any for many years. I even disable Windows Defender and System Restore. It's too much of a performance hit, and I can feel them regardless of processor/memory/hdd speed.

I used to use NOD32 in the past but it became popular and the developers started to add useless features to it, so like other antivirus software, it became bloatware too. Why the hell does an anti-virus program want to sniff my POP3/SMTP/HTTP traffic and make it slower?

I hate how when I disable an anti-virus (the on-demand scanning feature where it scans each file/program you open causing the performance hit) that it constantly re-enables itself. I am the master, respect the cock and stay disabled.

I don't run any .exes or download warez/illegal/stolen media or visit dodgy sites. If I ran anything suspicious, I'd do it on a virtualization package like VirtualBox. I also use Firefox and disable all the plugins except Flash.

Decided to give Microsoft Security Essentials a whirl given the recommendation above and generally positive reviews.

So far, so good. One unintended gain is a reduction in memory in use from 1.5GB to 1.39GB. Seems to hit the system hard when scanning (both cores at around 50% utilisation), however, so I suppose you can't have it all (especially for nothing).

B