Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WonderBoy

Write to your MP then

2 posts in this topic

Long time lurker, first time poster.

We can discuss whether or not the bill will pass (or more to the point, whether 'that' section of it will). And we can try to imagine what will happen if it does, what the police will do, what might happen if any of us ends up in front of a court.

It's all conjecture, and at this point in time, not very useful.

I think there is a huge difference between your average constituency MP and government ministers. I think my MP is OK generally speaking.

What I will do today is this.

I'll write to my MP, both at the House of Commons and the constituency office. I'll say that my next vote will be based on a single issue, i.e. the prostitution section of the P&C bill.

Possible outcomes:

1. If that section becomes law my MP won't have my vote at the next elecction, even if my MP votes against it. That may seem harsh but my MP is Labour, therefore part of the party which is trying to get this into law. My MP has the ability to go to JS/HH and the rest and say - "we're in the same party, this is a bad idea".

2. If that section doesn't become law my MP keeps my vote, if my MP voted against it.

3. If that section doesn't become law, but my MP voted for it, my MP doesn't keep my vote.

I think this is good way to try to influence the people that matter. Obviously each have you will have different things you will want to emphasise in your letters, depending on if you're a WG or a punter, and what is important to you. Whether the increasing powers of the state, the flawed data the propoganda has been based on, how it won't protect those it's meant to etc. etc.

I did some googling around the general subject of political campaigning and it seems that writing to MPs is far more effective than to ministers. Ministers probably won't see any letters, and the ministers concerned have pretty fixed ideas as far as I can see. Not that we shouldn't do that too.

Also it seems that one 'standard' letter that is sent to multiple MPs is not as good as individual ones. I don't think anybody needs to worry about standards of English. MPs aren't interested in that. They're mainly interested in keeping our votes. And some of them I think do genuinely want to represent they're constituents and be part of democracy. Remember that many backbench MPs resent the way that the current government has reduced the power of the House of Commons. Many of them feel very marginalised. So just do your best to put your point of view. But try to do it before the weekend.

Google 'who is my MP' to find out who yours is.

yes,writing to your mp is an effective way of campaigning, and write often.

your mp takes notice as they want your vote,

perhaps its best to go through the site

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/

as they track m.p. responces to constituents