Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hephaestion

Too too sticky websites

20 posts in this topic

Websites that seem to be designed to make it difficult/impossible for the visitor to browse back out-of the site = terrible, hateful things. :)

Sites with a moonfruit suffix seem to be especially apt to suffer from this - although plenty of others do too.

It's incredibly inconvenient when trying to follow links in a thread, or, even more galling, when a provider has suggested looking at her site, to be effectively entrapped like this; to have close the window, open another and sign-on again in order to resume reading.

I have a regular IE set-up, no frills, and no desire to change that. Could I beg the providers in question to please ask their web hosts/designers to give this little trick a miss. It's tacky, not sticky.

Oh no! I'm stuck in this damned thread now and can't get out!

Heres a simple solution of some sorts -

Right Click the mouse on the link - either open in new tab, or open in new window.

Job done :)

I'm sorry, I have no idea what this means and whether my site is guilty of it?

I'm sorry, I have no idea what this means and whether my site is guilty of it?

As I understand it, it means that if you use the "Back" button to return to a previously viewed site (assuming you are not viewing the "sticky" site in a new window), then all you will get is the "sticky" site instead of the "normal" action of the "Back" button. BTW your site is not "sticky".

As I understand it, it means that if you use the "Back" button to return to a previously viewed site (assuming you are not viewing the "sticky" site in a new window), then all you will get is the "sticky" site instead of the "normal" action of the "Back" button. BTW your site is not "sticky".

Here is an example of a "sticky" site, open a new window, paste "http://www.unitedairlines.nl/" (minus the quote marks) into the address bar and hit "Enter", now use the "Back" button to return to your Home page, it sticks on the unitedairlines.nl page.

Oh, I hate that too! Home page button will stick :)

Here is an example of a "sticky" site, open a new window, paste "http://www.unitedairlines.nl/" (minus the quote marks) into the address bar and hit "Enter", now use the "Back" button to return to your Home page, it sticks on the unitedairlines.nl page.

No problem with that site in Firefox, but was a problem in IE.

Easily overcome though, you simply click on the drop down button to the right of the back/forward buttons, and select the page you wish to jump back/forward to

You are not guilty ma'am.

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough - as one of the other posters better explained; it's when you can't exit a site by using the back button. I normally equate it as being a hallmark of a dodgy or very amateur site or service, beacuse there simply is no good reason for doing it. :)

Things must be good for me if this is all I have to complain about, but it just is a pain if you are trying to pop in and out of a thread by following posters links and/or looking at their website, but then can't easily browse back.

No problem with that site in Firefox, but was a problem in IE.

Easily overcome though, you simply click on the drop down button to the right of the back/forward buttons, and select the page you wish to jump back/forward to

Thanks Randy. My blood-pressure is dropping already.

Better, though, not to have it inbuilt into the site design in the first instance, no?

Thanks Randy. My blood-pressure is dropping already.

Better, though, not to have it inbuilt into the site design in the first instance, no?

Completely agree. Though with tab browsing, I would recommend opening websites of interest in a new tab and if it doesn't interest you, simply close that tab and return to where you were.

Completely agree. Though with tab browsing, I would recommend opening websites of interest in a new tab and if it doesn't interest you, simply close that tab and return to where you were.

The problem is most annoying when reading through a thread and MsX's post, I think; she sounds interesting/clever/attractive, and is a fairly regular poster on this site - so let's have a look at her site... all very nice... now I'd like to go back and see what JRC's had to say in reply <hits brick wall> D'oh!

I'll try your advice and see how it goes. Thanks again.

Edited by Hephaestion
typo

The problem is most annoying when reading through a thread and MsX's post, I think; she sounds interesting/clever/attractive, and is a fairly regular poster on this site - so let's have a look at her site... all very nice... now I'd like to go back and see what JRC's had to say in reply <hits brick wall> D'oh!

When clicking the "Visit MsX's site!" bit, hold down, and keep it held down, the shift key while clicking, it will open in a new Tab/Window.

Thankyou for telling me that mine is not a culprit!

Interestingly, it is a moonfruit site!

There used to be a technical name for this when I had a brief career in the internet industry. Can't remember what it is but back then I think you paid for such a phenomena. So if a person had gotten you from a search engine it stopped them from coming back out and looking at your competitors.

Cunningly annoying!

There used to be a technical name for this when I had a brief career in the internet industry. Can't remember what it is but back then I think you paid for such a phenomena. So if a person had gotten you from a search engine it stopped them from coming back out and looking at your competitors.

Cunningly annoying!

As you allude to: I can't imagine it being anything other than a beezer wheeze dressed up as a benefit for the website owner. Madness.

i reckon when you click an external link on a website, it should open in a new tab/window.

for tekkies, this is done with target tag in html

links inside your site should not open a new window/tab

just my harpennyworth

yay for "shift + click" opens a new window