Pia

Reliable Internet Connection

52 posts in this topic

I have been with BT for years and have had absolutely no problems with the internet until about 10 days ago.

Every evening for the past 10 days the internet keeps on disappearing (usually around this time 9-10pm) and comes back, then disappears and comes back and it continues like this for a few hours.. Very very frustrating. Any ideas? Is it BT? or something else?

I have been with BT for years and have had absolutely no problems with the internet until about 10 days ago.

Every evening for the past 10 days the internet keeps on disappearing (usually around this time 9-10pm) and comes back, then disappears and comes back for a few hours.. Very very frustrating. Any ideas? Is it BT? or something else?

It may be a coincidence Pia, and we're a long way apart geographically, but my TV set top box has lost signal to a lot of satellite channels around that time every evening lately. Only 'strong' signals like BBC TV get through (but BBC radio goes). No Internet problems, but then I'm not with BT.

Pia

Are you using a wireless lan

if so does plugging into the router help

if it does then interference from somewhere

if no difference, then its the line/exchange

Pia

Whatever you do, report the fault

BT lost one of their data centres to a flood and fire a few days ago, that will have reduced their capacity and shifted the load onto their undamaged routes.

The DSL filter, the little box that splits the line into broadband and phone deteriorate/wear out over time and should be replaced every year or so. They cost about £3-£5 from any decent computer shop.

If that doesn't help, call the engineering help line and ask for an echo attenuation test on the line.

Broadband xDSL lines are sensitive to interference, radio, cordless phones, wifi, etc. They even pick up interference from each other and that noise lowers the speed because the modems at each end compensate for noise (they really do speak more slow to each other if there is interference). It's just a fact of life like increasing road traffic, as more DSL lines are installed they slow down the existing xDSL connections at the same exchange. So make sure you don't have any radio transmitters or anything with a powerful electric motor switching on at that time near the line or modem.

If you don't have a ADSL-2 modem, consider getting one.

Pia

BT lost one of their data centres to a flood and fire a few days ago, that will have reduced their capacity and shifted the load onto their undamaged routes.

The DSL filter, the little box that splits the line into broadband and phone deteriorate/wear out over time and should be replaced every year or so. They cost about £3-£5 from any decent computer shop.

If that doesn't help, call the engineering help line and ask for an echo attenuation test on the line.

Broadband xDSL lines are sensitive to interference, radio, cordless phones, wifi, etc. They even pick up interference from each other and that noise lowers the speed because the modems at each end compensate for noise (they really do speak more slow to each other if there is interference). It's just a fact of life like increasing road traffic, as more DSL lines are installed they slow down the existing xDSL connections at the same exchange. So make sure you don't have any radio transmitters or anything with a powerful electric motor switching on at that time near the line or modem.

If you don't have a ADSL-2 modem, consider getting one.

Thank you, much appreciated :confused:

Ok, the plot thickens!! I would be most grateful for any techny experts out there please because this is not my thing!

I usually have 20Gb broadband usage a month, it has always been enough. BT kindly omitted to tell me that it went way over since November and only notified me on the 4th of April the night before I was going on holiday (though they only told me about one month - I found out about the rest when I came home to a bill of £267! :D)

It appears that my broadband usage has been in excess of 60-100GB usage every month since November. I thought somebody must have cracked my security password and that they were using my internet service as I only had WEP as security and apparently that is quite easy to crack (hence also thinking this is the reason that my internet kept on disappearing). A BT engineer came out due to them thinking there was a fault on the line and I now have WPA2-PSX set up as well as being able to see if anybody else goes in on my network.. And I set up a broadband usage meter.

Nobody is entering my network but the usage meter shoots up all over sudden even when I am not doing anything (this is a usage of 600-800 MB) in one go :D and usually happens in a second.

I have had a rummaging around and found this warning notification at exactly the times the high usage went through.

Does anybody know what it means?

Intel ® 81566V-2 Gigabit Network has been disconnected.

Log name: System

Source: e1yexpress

Event ID: 27

Level: Warning

User: N/A

Many many thanks in advance!

It appears that my broadband usage has been in excess of 60-100GB usage every month since November.

That's a huge amount. My business uses about 10GB/month, with frequent large downloads, plus a couple of staff streaming music all day.

I assume this is separate from the traffic on your own website?

That's a huge amount. My business uses about 10GB/month, with frequent large downloads, plus a couple of staff streaming music all day.

I assume this is separate from the traffic on your own website?

I know :D

And just personal use. I do not even monitor the traffic to my website.

I had the broadband usage meter up and running this evening. It used a normal amount and then bam at 20.06pm it took out 831MB! I am really really puzzled and need to get onto unlimited broadband very quickly whilst trying to sort out what is going on.

The warning notification I posted was at exactly that time.

Advise BT that you suspect that someone in their organisation is hacking your Broadband as you are absolutely positive you are not using that amount or anywhere near it.

Also ask them what the usage was while you were away on holiday and have proof that you could not have used it at that time.

That is a staggering around of data. MB is not the same as Mb. A big B is bytes and a little b is bits. Networking speed is measured in Mbps (Mega bits per second), files and memory are GB/MB (Mega Bytes). 1MB is eight times as much data 1Mb. You need to be certain you relay these accurately to make a judgement on it.

Do you run any Peer 2 Peer, Music file sharing software ? These can use a lot of bandwidth, but to use that amount you would need to be downloading constantly.

If not the only explanation I can think of is that your computer is infected with a virus and operating as part of a BotNet. This can saturate your bandwidth while trying to infect other computer or send junk email. Make sure you are running up to date an anti-virus software. If not you can download this free version of AVG. Do it now.

When you are not using the internet turn your router off.

Advise BT that you suspect that someone in their organisation is hacking your Broadband as you are absolutely positive you are not using that amount or anywhere near it.

Also ask them what the usage was while you were away on holiday and have proof that you could not have used it at that time.

BT was so unhelpful that I just wanted to cry when I spoke to them on Wednesday. I will try them again on Monday. They simply were not interested and just wanted me to upgrade to a higher package.

That is a staggering around of data. MB is not the same as Mb. A big B is bytes and a little b is bits. Networking speed is measured in Mbps (Mega bits per second), files and memory are GB/MB (Mega Bytes). 1MB is eight times as much data 1Mb. You need to be certain you relay these accurately to make a judgement on it.

Do you run any Peer 2 Peer, Music file sharing software ? These can use a lot of bandwidth, but to use that amount you would need to be downloading constantly.

If not the only explanation I can think of is that your computer is infected with a virus and operating as part of a BotNet. This can saturate your bandwidth while trying to infect other computer or send junk email. Make sure you are running up to date an anti-virus software. If not you can download this free version of AVG. Do it now.

When you are not using the internet turn your router off.

It is MB, just checked. There was absolutely nothing running except for the MSN homepage being up on the screen this evening when the 831MB went through. I was in the kitchen at the time! Never knew kitchens could be so costly :D

I have Mcafe full security suite running and it does a daily run. Nothing has changed with our usage in the household. No Peer 2 Peer etc.

The broadband usage meter says the following for this evening:

7-8pm = 4.9MB

8-9pm = 831.5MB

9-10pm = 3.2 MB

10-11pm _ 7.2MB

So you can see my usage is pretty stable except for that sudden usage.. It really is very odd. It was the same pattern yesterday though the surge was between 9-10pm and at 542MB.

Does anybody know what it means?

Intel ® 81566V-2 Gigabit Network has been disconnected.

Log name: System

Source: e1yexpress

Event ID: 27

Level: Warning

User: N/A

Many many thanks in advance!

That refers to your Ethernet (wired) networking connection which is not being used as you're connecting via wireless.

Given the amount of network traffic being generated it's possible that your machine is infected with some form of trojan etc.

You could try running any one of the following to try and get rid of it:

You could also try starting in Safe Mode with Networking (if you're running XP) and see if the network traffic is still as high. (Most applications don't start in Safe Mode.)

I'd also run SheildsUp! and see if there's any open ports:

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

B

What "broadband usage meter" ? is that part of your BT Broadband package or some other software you are using ?

What "broadband usage meter" ? is that part of your BT Broadband package or some other software you are using ?

Tbbmeter from Thinkbroadband.

Try connecting using a hard cable if possible rather than wireless and turn wireless off at both pc and router end. If you get no change in usage then you really need to try a different pc. Assuming your meter is measuring usage from your pc and not from your router I assume it’s the pc that’s using all this bandwidth. You may have some auto update stuff running for antivirus or windows updates etc, however even if u did that’s a lot if usage over a hour and on two consecutive days. Also when it peaks what is the ratio of inbound to outbound traffic. Is it receiving a lot or sending a lot your meter should be able to tell you this.

Try connecting using a hard cable if possible rather than wireless and turn wireless off at both pc and router end. If you get no change in usage then you really need to try a different pc. Assuming your meter is measuring usage from your pc and not from your router I assume it's the pc that's using all this bandwidth. You may have some auto update stuff running for antivirus or windows updates etc, however even if u did that's a lot if usage over a hour and on two consecutive days. Also when it peaks what is the ratio of inbound to outbound traffic. Is it receiving a lot or sending a lot your meter should be able to tell you this.

I wish it was only over two days :D It has happened since November, just that I was not aware of it until the 4th of April when I had the first email from BT and the large bill waiting for me when I got back from holidays.

The meter says 831.5MB download and 28.14MB upload when the surge happened.

Running Skybot detection programme at the moment. See if it comes up with anything. Another thing to do may be clearing the pc down to it's original state.

Skybot has detected two trojans from the programme 'Mywebsearch' and some Pups :D Now I need to read the manual on how to get rid of them!

That would tend to suggest its updating something but I am baffled that's over 1GB every two days or so which is a lot for a single pc. I would try a factory reset it may not be a bad idea. Have a good look at everything you have installed you may have some stuff installed that is downloading some TV programme or something like that.

Pia: lets start to go by the way of elimination? First..

1) Do you have BB modem and router in the same unit?

2) Do you have a separate BB modem and separate router? If it is, can you please disconnect router, and see for a few days if you still experience sudden rise in the usage.

If you have it in one unit..then I will suggest something else.

Also: does your modem plugged in the main phone socket, not in the extensions?

Xenia, one unit and plugged in the main socket.

An update on what has happened since yesterday, it is not good :rolleyes:

I cleared the trojans via the skybot detection programme. Today I have left the internet on most of the day with the broadband usage meter running as well as having the task manager up with the processes open. This shows me everything I am doing on the pc..

All ok all day, one of my children downloaded a game at 12pm at 120MB and it showed up on the usage monitor and in the task manager processing whilst downloading. It showed as a whole block on the monitor as it was being downloaded over time.

At about 7.45pm a very thin line showed up on the broadband meter and 736MB went just like that. There was zilch in my task manager processing file which means it definitely was not coming from my PC. I checked whether anybody else had entered my network and no, nobody.

At 8.36pm, another thin line and another 737MB gone. I unplugged my router completely. Have just this minute plugged it back in. Only the power light came on as it takes a few minutes to set itself up and I had no internet connection from my pc. My broadband usage meter sprang into action even before I had the internet and I had 1328MB come out!! So at the moment I just want to cry :o something is seriously wrong. It is like somebody is hijacking my internet without the modem even being on..

Pia

AFAIK, your Broadband Usage Monitor can only measure traffic from your PC out to the internet. If another PC is somehow hacking into your modem/router (which isn't showing on your network somehow), then I don't think it would register on your PCs Broadband Usage Monitor.

I think it is far more likely you have another undetected virus/spyware beastie resident on your machine that is sending stuff out at random intervals.

I am no expert at this, but I hear that malwarebytes is good for this type of thing. I know you must be fed up of downloading virus checkers, but it's worth trying as it's fairly straightforward.

If it is something wrong with your machine, I doubt that BT will be too helpful.

I'd be interested if their are any real experts out there in hearing your thoughts on the likelihood of Pia's line being hacked into and it showing on her Broadband Usage Monitor. My theory may well be wrong and I don't want to lead Pia up the garden path.

At about 7.45pm a very thin line showed up on the broadband meter and 736MB went just like that. There was zilch in my task manager processing file which means it definitely was not coming from my PC. I checked whether anybody else had entered my network and no, nobody.

Were you checking Applications or Processes in Task Manager, and did you select the option to show processes from all users?

Many programs (as well as all services) don't show up in the Applications tab.

B

Were you checking Applications or Processes in Task Manager, and did you select the option to show processes from all users?

Many programs (as well as all services) don't show up in the Applications tab.

B

Looking at the processes. And ah no, did not have the show processes from all user ticked, even though it is just there with a tick box :rolleyes:

I am learning.. IT is not my strongest skill so at the moment I am just trying anything which may show me why I have such a high useage going through.. Tying it up with the loss of internet I had a lot last month, it always seems to be around 7-12pm every evening. All back to normal now since the big one at 1328MB.

I've had a look at the Tbbmeter from Thinkbroadband website and the software measures the data sent/received by the computer it is running on. It is not measuring what is going onto the internet because not all of the traffic from the PC will be passing onto the internet. Some is just between the PC & router and other PC's connected to the router.

We need to find a way to separate the two.

Some routers have built in usage metering or logging options. What type of router (Brand & Model) are you using ? Do you know how to connect to the routers configuration screen ?

How is the computer connected to the router, a cable or WiFi ?

Do you have other computers connected to the router ? How many ? Cable or WiFi ?