Strawberry

Legal/Criminal Justice System Education

6 posts in this topic

After all the questions, myths, misnomers etc in this section lately I was thinking, perhaps one of our Legal Eagles could run a thread on how the whole system works?

From detection to arrest, your rights on arrest (as well as things not to do), getting legal advice, cautions, court hearings. I used to read the odd legal forum for interest and the amount of ignorance is horrendous. Probably because it's not something you are taught or informed on in everyday life, so everyone bases their knowledge on the plethora of TV Cops and Detective shows we get beamed out at us.

Volunteers?

After all the questions, myths, misnomers etc in this section lately I was thinking, perhaps one of our Legal Eagles could run a thread on how the whole system works?

From detection to arrest, your rights on arrest (as well as things not to do), getting legal advice, cautions, court hearings. I used to read the odd legal forum for interest and the amount of ignorance is horrendous. Probably because it's not something you are taught or informed on in everyday life, so everyone bases their knowledge on the plethora of TV Cops and Detective shows we get beamed out at us.

Volunteers?

A Sticky would be useful in my view as the excellent information thats been posted so far will eventually get lost in the archive, and new members might never see these posts.:D

A Sticky would be useful in my view as the excellent information thats been posted so far will eventually get lost in the archive, and new members might never see these posts.:D

+1

including a thorough explanation of the new laws, as much as can be explained at the moment. A thread kept clean from comments unless they contain facts (as opposed to opinion)

Volunteers?

http://www.swarb.co.uk/phpbb/

Given how many of our own team just post, rather than even thinking of doing a swift search, I wonder how much value this would have?

There is also the point that poor hard working solicitors need to stay in business - if everything is given away free, where will they fund the lifestyle?

I suspect the best route is to buy a school, GCSE text book, and then to invest in a copy of "Moriarty's Police Law" which is (afaik) still the main text book for the Sgt's Exam, and, basically, all the law that a copper can be bothered with!

There is also the OU's W201, course which costs an arm and a leg and is quite solid going, but hardly touches on procedure atall.

Lot of bloody use, aren't I?

I didn't mean anything indepth, just the basics as I've noticed a few themes/myths in some of the questions posted.