ladyofthemansion

The perfect sat nav

19 posts in this topic

Can anybody recommend a really good sat nav that actually takes you the quicker routes and automatically knows if you are about to be stuck in traffic. Want one that you dont need to connect to computer if possible.xxxxxxx

Map & radio 2 traffic news

Map & radio 2 traffic news

I've often wondered how these Satnav things work at night, I mean during the day the lady can see your car and keep track of it no problem, but at night one pair of headlights look very much like any other, how does she differentiate between them? It's very clever really.

I've found the routing on my cheap Garmin to be much more intelligent than the expensive in-car systems I have had.

They are all pretty good today but the best ones do have the ability to download updates from your PC so that you get to know where the mobile speed traps are as well as the static ones.

The basics are:

Sat Nav with downloadable maps and updates

Traffic "Safety" Camera mapping and ID/warnings

FM live traffic feed showing traffic jams (So you can avoid them)

If you are female then a Map in the car for the odd occasion you need to reroute and haven't a clue where you are!! (Males don't use maps anyway and won't stop to ask stuff like that!)

The most useless things to have are a bluetooth feed for your mobile phone and even worse is to have that giving you the traffic updates as you pay through the nose for what is free via FM!

"They are all pretty good today" - but is there a cost theshhold before that really does apply?

At the bottom end (because I usually don't need the info at all or don't need time-sensitive info) there are the Binatones at about £40 upwards but saw reviews that said they were liable to take you on a 20-mile route for a 5-mile journey...

That sort of cost makes it worth having to me - but not if its as good as using a pine cone for the weather forecast.

Can't go past my TomTom. I travel a lot with work, all over the UK, and it always seems to find the best route when I speak to local workmates.

"They are all pretty good today" - but is there a cost theshhold before that really does apply?

At the bottom end (because I usually don't need the info at all or don't need time-sensitive info) there are the Binatones at about £40 upwards but saw reviews that said they were liable to take you on a 20-mile route for a 5-mile journey...

That sort of cost makes it worth having to me - but not if its as good as using a pine cone for the weather forecast.

Very swift look showed Halfrauds with a Garmin Nuvi 265WT Sat Nav - UK, ROI & Europe for £149, everything you want and more.

Simples

Garmin Nuvi 775T - has all of the UK, Western Europe, USA, and Canada built in. Ideal for frequent travellers. Receives FM traffic in both the US and Europe for a one-time fee for the life of the device. Also has text-to-speech (speaks the road names) and lane assist - shows an image of which lane you need to be in when approaching a complicated junction.

Garmin Nuvi 775T - has all of the UK, Western Europe, USA, and Canada built in. Ideal for frequent travellers. Receives FM traffic in both the US and Europe for a one-time fee for the life of the device. Also has text-to-speech (speaks the road names) and lane assist - shows an image of which lane you need to be in when approaching a complicated junction.

I love it when you talk dirty.

Its only another £70 for that one too

my in-car satnav does FM info to the annoying level of re-routing me every 5 min (accept/decline...sigh). It has a very english, sorta sexy voice, and a dozen other languages. nice.

But the rental-garmin in the US had this choice of voices and one of them was a sexy sounding Aussie... Mint!

Anyone know any aussie WLs ?

I've got one of these, and I will also endorse it. It was a bit pricey when I bought it, so it's probably cheaper now. You can even change the icon which is your car, (on the screen) to a couple of different silly symbols.

I've got one of these, and I will also endorse it. It was a bit pricey when I bought it, so it's probably cheaper now. You can even change the icon which is your car, (on the screen) to a couple of different silly symbols.

Its approx £230

Me, all my friends, all my family and everyone I have ever met :rolleyes: prefer TomTom. Had TomTom since the dinosaurs were still here.

Me, all my friends, all my family and everyone I have ever met :rolleyes: prefer TomTom. Had TomTom since the dinosaurs were still here.

Not tempted to get something electric now then?

No one has said anything about the really cheap end - does that speak volumes:

turn round when it is safe to do so and select one from the expensive bit of the counter

In Sat Navs, you tend to get poor value the cheaper they are.

The opposite is not also true though so shop around.

It depends how much you will need to use one, If It's only now and again then a cheap satnav would be ok, but If you might need It most days then maybe one of the more expensive ones would pay off. I use a Tomtom XL with UK/Euro mapping, good thing with these Is you can download free features like voices, points of Interests, and maps etc.

Anyone driving over 10 miles per day who does not use a modern SatNav is missing a trick just on the reminders you get of schools, traffic jams, bends, so-called "safety" cameras etc.