Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BigTom

Article in 'Parliamentary Brief'

7 posts in this topic

Thanks, Big Tom. A good read.

Very good article.

Like the cannabis reclassification and the IS cards, the government is rushing towards counterproductive legislation against expert advice.

Good Read from a Very Credible Source!

And excellent background info too.

This merits to be brought to attention of relevant MPs and other parties involved (you never know, it may help ...).

(I know, you can lead a horse to water...)

Thanks. Interesting review of the history of prostitution legislation.

This bit seems spot-on to me:

"these late Victorian campaigns [were characterised] as moralistic, authoritarian, illiberal, and frequently punitive toward women; and yet we entertain their rhetoric today in a slightly different form, and allow a small number of radical feminists, allied with conservative and moralistic organizsations, to dictate the terms of the debate. And, just like in the past, these lobby groups are drowning out more measured voices who base their opinions upon extensive and ethical research and upon the political traditions of liberal feminism."

Been away for a while having a hip replacement, :)Nice to be back and have now been reading the latest posts on here about the new proposal. Still seems to be unclear and as to whats really going to happen if it ever gets through so its just a matter of waiting for the outcome. This article seems to be the best anyone has ever written about the whole charade. I have to take my hat off to Dr Julia Laite. And yes it needs to be shoved right under the nose of the relevant MPs. A brilliant bit of commonsense and knowledge.

This merits to be brought to attention of relevant MPs and other parties involved (you never know, it may help ...).

(I know, you can lead a horse to water...)

And yes it needs to be shoved right under the nose of the relevant MPs. A brilliant bit of commonsense and knowledge.

Hopefully many of them will have seen it as it is circulated by request to members of the UK House of Commons, the Lords, senior civil servants and political journalists.