akanostromo

Monitoring a wi-fi connection etc.

12 posts in this topic

Is there any fairly simple way of checking for other machines that may be using a home wi-fi connection?

Also has anyone knowledge of "peerblock"? is it safe and effective?

A quick look at Google appears to indicate that WEP protected wireless LANS are about as safe as a new recipe for Rock Cakes near the Vicar!!

wpa any better?

Hi, WEP has for a good few years been extremely vunerable to cracking, in fact its easy. Yes WPA is more effective for home use. As for monitoring whos using your connection, well if they break the encryption key their MAC address will be visible on your routers stats table....

You'll usually find some kind of report available on the hub/router you are using to connect to the Internet. Look for something that talks about IP addresses allocated or devices connected. Probably devices connected will be the best bet as it will show what devices are connected via wireless and should give them a meaningful name.

You should then be able to work out if all the things it reports as connected are yours or not.

If you dont recognise any of them, then restart the hub/router and change the WEP key - you will need to re-enter the new WEP key into any thing that you want to connect wirelessly, but that's not a big deal.

and Yes WEP is not too hard to crack, so the WPA2 advice is sound.

M wi-fi software says the connection os "WPA-PSK:WPA2-PSK"

Asking as I live in an area of student flats and a neighbour was accused by some ambulance chasing lawyers of allowing his connection to be used for illegal downloads, he had not but there was an uncomfortable time until they went away

May seem obvious but turning the router off when not in use reduces the time available for hacking. I turn our stuff off when we go to bed at night.

May seem obvious but turning the router off when not in use reduces the time available for hacking. I turn our stuff off when we go to bed at night.

I used to do that then I read that turning the router off can possibly reduce the overall speed as the equipment at the exchange thinks that disconnections are due to line faults. :)

I'd rather turn if off when not in use.

M wi-fi software says the connection os "WPA-PSK:WPA2-PSK"

WPA2-PSK with AES encryption is the way to go.

Grab a 64 random hex character password for it from here:

https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm

This will give you an extremely strong, 256 bit binary password.

Other tricks to increase security (to an extent) is to use MAC filtering (which will only deter casual hackers) and disable DHCP. Hiding your router's SSID is pointless.

You may want to reduce the power transmission of your router and place it in the middle of your house.

The truly security obsessed will run a second NAT router behind your wireless router on a different subnet.

Either that or stick to Ethernet.

B

I used to do that then I read that turning the router off can possibly reduce the overall speed as the equipment at the exchange thinks that disconnections are due to line faults. :rolleyes:

I'd rather turn if off when not in use.

I can only go on what I've read,but only if you turn it on/off several times,in a short while,does the exchange get its knickers in a twist.Other wise I'm with you,turn the damm thing off,over night.:o