Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bottom liner

Why we are the new witches

6 posts in this topic

I think I have worked out why MP's are not opposing it more vigorously despite the various grounds, already fully articulated elswehere, for doing so.

Any MP who shoves his head above the parapet is likely to get fingered, yes pun intended, for a punter, papped by the grub street reptiles to see what he gets up to in his private life, and possibly asked a few searching questions by his missus. To do so could also be seen as very career-limiting politically.

I watched the film about Ed Murrow last night and his brave stand against Eugene McCarthy, and remembered that the problem with defending the witch during the witchhunt is that you can suddenly be accused of being one yourself. So you stay quiet, the hunt goes on and the witches burn. We are the new witches. Burn us because there was always a possibility, however infinitesimally remote, that we may have, unintentionally, slept with a trafficked girl.

Let's hope that the Lords, in the twilight of their political careers will feel more inclined to stand up for truth and reason. Let's also hope that senior police officers continue to put up the pragmatic case against a widespread application of whatever ends up on the statute book, in favour of pursuing real criminals including the traffickers.

I think that's a bit pessimistic.

There are several reasons for MPs to oppose the bill as proposed, such as practicality, justice and effectiveness, which are all realistic and completely unrelated to the possibility of a Member being a punter.

Secondly, a newspaper would need very solid evidence to make such an accusation or it would lead to a dreadful libel case.

I tend to be with BottomLiner here...

I think I have worked out why MP's are not opposing it more vigorously despite the various grounds, already fully articulated elswehere, for doing so.

Any MP who shoves his head above the parapet is likely to get fingered, yes pun intended, for a punter, papped by the grub street reptiles to see what he gets up to in his private life, and possibly asked a few searching questions by his missus. To do so could also be seen as very career-limiting politically.

Fighting from perceived moral-low ground takes a lot of courage!

And those "elected" tend to take safe and easily defendable positions, not always in agreement with what we on this board think to be correct, "right" or "just".

Spin, press and votes are more important then whatever justice we see. And short-term gain is the norm. The political animal has no choice, really, if it wants to survive. You cannot even blame the politicians to follow the moral-majority herd: someone decided to give every idiot a single, equal vote.

Hence our only remaining chance is to give politicians the right stimuly, the sensible incentives (or a hefty Consulting Fee?).

I watched the film about Ed Murrow last night and his brave stand against Eugene McCarthy, and remembered that the problem with defending the witch during the witchhunt is that you can suddenly be accused of being one yourself. So you stay quiet, the hunt goes on and the witches burn. We are the new witches. Burn us because there was always a possibility, however infinitesimally remote, that we may have, unintentionally, slept with a trafficked girl.

I sadly agree.

And most societies have some form of "witch" or scapegoat or common enemy. Christians, Heathens, Normans, Jews, Hugenots, Catholics, Commies, Liberals, Capitalists, Japanese, Lybians, Jihadists, ... find a society and there is the equivalent of a witch.

Let's hope that the Lords, in the twilight of their political careers will feel more inclined to stand up for truth and reason. Let's also hope that senior police officers continue to put up the pragmatic case against a widespread application of whatever ends up on the statute book, in favour of pursuing real criminals including the traffickers.

Indeed a glimmer of hope: lords (proper Lords, not the labour for-sale scum) and police officers both may have a higher then average level of testosteron, and possibly a sense of fairness and Duty.

Wisdom to them!

I think the MPs position on 'prostitution' is generally one of 'hypocrisy'. Then again some would argue that this is the nature of politics...

I am no expert on 'prostitution'. However, generally they have been the pariah of society collectively. Though I would not equate 'prostitutes' with 'witches' who were burnt at the stake in their thousands...

It is this contradiction, a) the need for controlling sexual behaviour and :cool: how does a society that is keen on regulating sexual behaviour in fact allow prostitution to flourish...Almost a contradiction in term???

As long as the decision of regulating sexual behaviour lies with politicians. There will always be a problem, for the near forseeable future at least.

Just a few thoughts

I think the MPs position on 'prostitution' is generally one of 'hypocrisy'. Then again some would argue that this is the nature of politics...

I am no expert on 'prostitution'. However, generally they have been the pariah of society collectively. Though I would not equate 'prostitutes' with 'witches' who were burnt at the stake in their thousands...

It is this contradiction, a) the need for controlling sexual behaviour and :cool: how does a society that is keen on regulating sexual behaviour in fact allow prostitution to flourish...Almost a contradiction in term???

As long as the decision of regulating sexual behaviour lies with politicians. There will always be a problem, for the near forseeable future at least.

Just a few thoughts

I was equating us punters with witches, not the WG's

The legislation is aimed at deterring punters with the threat that we will be metaphorically 'burned at stake' if we are caught from now on. To wit arrested, instead of sent on our way, outed in local newspapers etc.

MP's may not like it but don't appear to be particularly vigorously opposing it.

I was equating us punters with witches, not the WG's

The legislation is aimed at deterring punters with the threat that we will be metaphorically 'burned at stake' if we are caught from now on. To wit arrested, instead of sent on our way, outed in local newspapers etc.

MP's may not like it but don't appear to be particularly vigorously opposing it.

My mistake, thank you for the correction!

Now I understand your metaphor a 'witch-hunt' of the punters... It could well be, and also I suspect the Government will use the 'witch-hunt' in other areas of our lives too

Big BĀ®other!!